Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching / life in in San Francisco

Wikiposts

Teaching / life in in San Francisco

Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching / life in in San Francisco

Originally Posted by dgandhi
erm, well £40K doesn't go that far in London. To earn that much I work in an area where the house prices are fairly high. We rented in swiss cottage and were paying around £1100 pcm for a tiny studio, no parking spot. Now we commute around 2 hours each way.

Also London weather gets us seriously down - and I guess we just dont really like living here.

My husbands lived in the US for around 6 years, and weather, natural beauty and how far our money will go is a huge consideration. SF is just one city, but it isn't neccesary to live/ work in SF. I've spent my summer holidays with family in the US since I was 10, and to be honest we're just huge fans of the states.

Had it not been for some family issues, we would have been there a longtime ago.
I've just returned back to the U.S. after being back in the UK for the last 6 years (Cambridge). I'm in the East Bay area and would say that maybe you should look at areas outside of SF that would be cheaper and be able to commute in quite easily.

I know what you mean about weather - I think the last winter in the UK was enough for me! I'm sure you have heard all the reports about the CA budget deficit etc. but the truth is that it's bad everywhere.

If you can afford to it would be a great time to buy a property - there are bargains to be had in CA!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

dgandhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
I've just returned back to the U.S. after being back in the UK for the last 6 years (Cambridge). I'm in the East Bay area and would say that maybe you should look at areas outside of SF that would be cheaper and be able to commute in quite easily.

I know what you mean about weather - I think the last winter in the UK was enough for me! I'm sure you have heard all the reports about the CA budget deficit etc. but the truth is that it's bad everywhere.

If you can afford to it would be a great time to buy a property - there are bargains to be had in CA!
Hi, would love to email you further. We were looking at various east bay citys that we thought we could afford ; Concorde was one, where are you? The gloomy winters are killer and people in London seem a lot more down in winter. It just doesn't suit us. It might be nice if we had some pretty snow rather than black ice and frost!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

dgandhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, would love to email you further. We were looking at various east bay citys that we thought we could afford ; Concorde was one, where are you? The gloomy winters are killer and people in London seem a lot more down in winter. It just doesn't suit us. It might be nice if we had some pretty snow rather than black ice and frost!
We live in Bromley at the moment!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It might be nice if we had some pretty snow rather than black ice and frost!
Move out of London then. We live 45 mins out of central London, and we had several feet of 'pretty snow' for weeks on end this winter.

Cheaper and easier than moving to the US too.........!!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Move out of London then. We live 45 mins out of central London, and we had several feet of 'pretty snow' for weeks on end this winter.

Cheaper and easier than moving to the US too.........!!
Thats true it's cheaper to find an area you will love in the UK than to emigrate. Maybe make list of what it is you are looking for. If it's Sunshine then maybe Aus or Florida is what you require. San Francisco isn't exactly really know for sunshine. We always make sure to take jackets year round when we visit. Plus I've never never heard of any teachers earning close to £40,000 here that reserved for the principal if he/she is lucky, or even the people running the district.
As you move out of San Francisco towards Concord/Antioch the weather does get hotter, and the wages get lower.
Maybe the Dvon or Cornwall coast would be a nice change, I hear the south gets more sun.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats true it's cheaper to find an area you will love in the UK than to emigrate. Maybe make list of what it is you are looking for. If it's Sunshine then maybe Aus or Florida is what you require. San Francisco isn't exactly really know for sunshine. We always make sure to take jackets year round when we visit. Plus I've never never heard of any teachers earning close to £40,000 here that reserved for the principal if he/she is lucky, or even the people running the district.
As you move out of San Francisco towards Concord/Antioch the weather does get hotter, and the wages get lower.
Maybe the Dvon or Cornwall coast would be a nice change, I hear the south gets more sun.
Teachers make decent money, I know this for a fact as my own sister is an 11th grade History teacher who makes about $56K a year working in So. California's San Fernando Valley. To the OP, I have provided a link that should be of some help to you regarding some of your questions pertaining to Salary and requirements. Times are indeed rough at the moment but what the hell, you only live once, enjoy the adventure !!

http://teacherportal.com/salary/Cali...teacher-salary
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Teachers make decent money, I know this for a fact as my own sister is an 11th grade History teacher who makes about $56K a year working in So. California's San Fernando Valley. To the OP, I have provided a link that should be of some help to you regarding some of your questions pertaining to Salary and requirements. Times are indeed rough at the moment but what the hell, you only live once, enjoy the adventure !!

http://teacherportal.com/salary/Cali...teacher-salary
How does that equate to 40K pounds?

PS I'd take that ratio of 1:21 with a pinch of salt. My kids are in classes of 35-40.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Sep 28th 2010 at 11:59 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did I say it did Sally ? Are you able to read what I posted or are you just on your usual negativity streak, ...Sisters Grimm indeed.

I was simply trying to help the OP with what little information I have that could possibly be OF some use to her.

Depends on the School in regards to class size FYI, also depends if she teaches at a private or public school regarding the higher salary, The more tenure you have the more you make etc...

Last edited by Oregon4now; Sep 28th 2010 at 12:08 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Did I say it did Sally ? Are you able to read what I posted or are you just on your usual negativity streak, ...Sisters Grimm indeed.

I was simply trying to help the OP with what little information I have that could possibly be OF some use to her.

Depends on the School in regards to class size FYI, also depends if she teaches at a private or public school regarding the higher salary, The more tenure you have the more you make etc...
Presumably you were trying to counteract several people who said it would be hard to match her current salary.

"Yeah, come on over, it's absolutely fabulous, no worries mate."

Better?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The teachers I have as friends here have tenure are in their late forties with masters degrees and teach at the local elementary school neither earns close to £40,000 a year one even had to claim WIC when his kids were little as they start on such low pay. Both do an excellent job with the kids and now teach classes of 25 plus kids.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Sisters Grimm.....Damm shame everything turns into a pissing match on BE
even when you are just trying to help a poster with their questions.

Pay attention Sally !

Times are indeed rough at the moment but what the hell, you only live once, enjoy the adventure !!

apparently this means "Yeah, come on over, it's absolutely fabulous, no worries mate."

Last edited by Oregon4now; Sep 28th 2010 at 12:38 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:34 pm
US Mom of UK Son

MorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud ofMorganMars has much to be proud of

I want to ask the forum about being able to teach in california (elementary level, public or private). I did my degree at Cambridge (this is now an MA) and I did my PGCE there also. I completed a Montessori diploma and I have 5+ years of teaching experience since qualifying. I have just reached threshold, and my pay is somewhere just below £40K.

I want to ask the forum what I need to do exactly, and what diffucltises I might face. Will I be able to teach in california without doing a million exams.

If I get details of the courses I have done, and get these evaluated, will they be deemed as equivalent and will I be able to get looking for work more speedily.

We are looking to move for a better quality of life rather than to make a lot of money, so I don't necessarily expect I will make as much in SF, but does anyone have any idea of what my experience will be worth? Will I be starting from scratch experience wise, or will my experience be recognized (and paid for accordingly).
Hello,

While I am not a teacher, I do work closely with educators in Florida, so I will try to provide you with some information that I have gained through the years.

There is no doubt that education is having a very difficult time. Schools in the US are typically paid for through property taxes and since property values have dropped drastically, so have the revenues for the schools. Many teachers in under funded districts have been added to those who are unemployed. To give you a graphic representation of the growth of unemployment in the US and areas that are hardest hit, go to this link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P__6W7bJVRQ
That may help you to identify some other areas that may appeal to you.

That is not to say that jobs are not available, however. You may want to investigate teacher shortage areas. Teaching jobs in shortage areas such as Special Education, Foreign Languages, the Sciences and sometimes in rural districts are generally available, but they are often under difficult circumstances. For instance, in Special Education I understand that many first year teachers quit after one or two years. Those who know the challenges and care deeply about their students find it most rewarding, though.

There are several approved agencies where your qualifications can be evaluated to provide you with a US equivalent. Also, often in shortage areas, teachers may be employed on the condition that they will obtain the appropriate certification within two years. This may not apply for overseas qualifications, however. There are sometimes "bursaries" available for college coursework that may be required, as well, though that is not what they are called here.

I have heard conflicting information regarding negotiations for pay. Some tell me that pay can be negotiated during final interviews, while others say that pay is based only on your degree level and number of years in the district. A chart of average teacher salaries can be found at http://teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state and you can sort the columns. It also shows the starting salaries, and a "comfort" score that takes local cost of living under consideration.

I have a step-son who lives in San Francisco and he loves it, but you may find that it is just as expensive as London. He attended college at Brunel University in London and my other son is currently living in Cambridge. We are a traveling family so I do understand your urge to roam.

Good luck,
Mary
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MorganMars
Hello,

While I am not a teacher, I do work closely with educators in Florida, so I will try to provide you with some information that I have gained through the years.

There is no doubt that education is having a very difficult time. Schools in the US are typically paid for through property taxes and since property values have dropped drastically, so have the revenues for the schools. Many teachers in under funded districts have been added to those who are unemployed. To give you a graphic representation of the growth of unemployment in the US and areas that are hardest hit, go to this link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P__6W7bJVRQ
That may help you to identify some other areas that may appeal to you.

That is not to say that jobs are not available, however. You may want to investigate teacher shortage areas. Teaching jobs in shortage areas such as Special Education, Foreign Languages, the Sciences and sometimes in rural districts are generally available, but they are often under difficult circumstances. For instance, in Special Education I understand that many first year teachers quit after one or two years. Those who know the challenges and care deeply about their students find it most rewarding, though.

There are several approved agencies where your qualifications can be evaluated to provide you with a US equivalent. Also, often in shortage areas, teachers may be employed on the condition that they will obtain the appropriate certification within two years. This may not apply for overseas qualifications, however. There are sometimes "bursaries" available for college coursework that may be required, as well, though that is not what they are called here.

I have heard conflicting information regarding negotiations for pay. Some tell me that pay can be negotiated during final interviews, while others say that pay is based only on your degree level and number of years in the district. A chart of average teacher salaries can be found at http://teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state and you can sort the columns. It also shows the starting salaries, and a "comfort" score that takes local cost of living under consideration.

I have a step-son who lives in San Francisco and he loves it, but you may find that it is just as expensive as London. He attended college at Brunel University in London and my other son is currently living in Cambridge. We are a traveling family so I do understand your urge to roam.

Good luck,
Mary
Excellent and well balanced post Mary ...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

PS I'd take that ratio of 1:21 with a pinch of salt. My kids are in classes of 35-40.
1:21 in the UK?? I'd love to know where. Before we left Cambridge my children were in 1:34 classes
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

We live in Bromley at the moment!
I left Bromley several years ago but have family there so know exactly how it is. Feel free to PM me. We've just moved to Vacaville - only 40 mins to SF and 30 mins to Sac. Housing is very inexpensive here is you are buying at the moment - bet you could even find a place to buy outright with your savings if you wanted to as I've seen 4 and 4 bed single family homes for $230k -
$240k. It's not the most exciting place but great for families and it was on the 100 best places to live apparently.

It can get hot here but Air Conditioning works a treat and if you have a swimming pool even better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.