Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching jobs in USA

Teaching jobs in USA

Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Sweetgirlie will become famous soon enoughSweetgirlie will become famous soon enough
Default Teaching jobs in USA

Hi there

Does any of you know where my boyfriend can look for teaching jobs in the U.S.? My boyfriend is an RE teacher in a Catholic school (Head of RE) and would like to see if there are any opportunities over there. The jobs he sees on his school website are mainly for primary schools and he is a secondary school teacher - Head of RE, which I believe is taught in private schools only there.

Many thanks
SG
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:40 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching jobs in USA

Originally Posted by Sweetgirlie
Hi there

Does any of you know where my boyfriend can look for teaching jobs in the U.S.? My boyfriend is an RE teacher in a Catholic school (Head of RE) and would like to see if there are any opportunities over there. The jobs he sees on his school website are mainly for primary schools and he is a secondary school teacher - Head of RE, which I believe is taught in private schools only there.

Many thanks
SG
Does he already have the right to live and work in the US? If he does then finding work here is very difficult indeed.

If he doesn't....
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sweetgirlie
Does any of you know where my boyfriend can look for teaching jobs in the U.S.?
There are 50 states in the US... 31 of which are larger than England. That's an awful lot of places to look... and each state has its own laws regarding education and teacher qualifications.

The jobs he sees on his school website are mainly for primary schools and he is a secondary school teacher - Head of RE, which I believe is taught in private schools only there.
You don't want to focus on "private schools", but "private Catholic schools" - since many non-Catholic denominations have their own school systems in the US. That being the case, he should focus on those areas of the country with a (traditionally) large Catholic population. Hint = Google is your friend.

Now... all that said, TonRob is right - if your boyfriend doesn't have permission to live/work in the US, this is all just some sort of moot academic exercise!

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, unless one of you is a USC or already got a visa to work here, chances are moot, even if you found a position, most schools wouldn't have the money to stump for a visa or be willing to wait till Oct for you to start.