Teaching

Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:49 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching

im just thinking about possible careers in the future. Im not set on anything - and have a while to go as my youngest is just 7 months old anyway. (and for those that dont know me - I am currently on an L2 with an EAD - with green card application over half way done). I used to be a software team leader when we left the UK.

What qualifications do you need to teach in the US? say at Elementary level. I have an Bsc 2(i) in an engineering discipline (4 years) but no UK teaching quals.

In the UK i believe i'd need to do a years post grad cert. Would that be likely true in the US or would I have to go back to the beginning again. Im not thinking about cost now - im just thinking how long would it take and do i want to even study that long - then ill worry about funding if its still something im interested in.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

markhawksley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching

It varies from state to state, but here in NV:

http://nvteachers.doe.nv.gov/Elementary.htm

Many states have an 'alternate route to licensure' for people who want to take up teaching as a second career. You should contact your state's Department of Education to find out more. Usually it involves a few college courses and student teaching placements.

Just a word of warning though, teaching jobs are hard to come by at the moment. Many states and school districts have been laying off teachers or at least had hiring freezes.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui

What qualifications do you need to teach in the US? say at Elementary level. I have an Bsc 2(i) in an engineering discipline (4 years) but no UK teaching quals.
There are state-to-state variations, and the federal No Child Left Behind law has had some impact as well, I believe. The Ohio Dept of Education licensing page is here.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

State regs...but also depends on how desperate the local district is on if they'll bend things for you.

Could always teach at community college level as they are pretty easy if you've got experience, though not sure if you want to teach coding.

Another thing might also depend on what actual classes you've taken at uni. Out where MIL teaches, they have a maths teacher who really was a history person but had a maths class which was enough to teach high school maths even though it wasn't really their thing and they had 2 years to get state certified and then be able to teach what they want.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
im just thinking about possible careers in the future. Im not set on anything - and have a while to go as my youngest is just 7 months old anyway. (and for those that dont know me - I am currently on an L2 with an EAD - with green card application over half way done). I used to be a software team leader when we left the UK.

In the UK i believe i'd need to do a years post grad cert. Would that be likely true in the US or would I have to go back to the beginning again. Im not thinking about cost now - im just thinking how long would it take and do i want to even study that long - then ill worry about funding if its still something im interested in.
As others have said, it varies from state to state. Many states have a "lateral entry" program for poeple already with a bachelors degree. You take courses at a university and it is somewhat equivalent to the old Cert Ed in the UK.

I think in some states you don't have to be certified to do supply teaching (forgotten what that;s called in the US - substitute teaching?), similar for community colleges.

I think the best place to start would be to find someone at your local university who runs the teacher training program and ask them a few questions. If they think you might eventually enrol for the course, they'd probably be glad to send you information or maybe even meet up for 15 minute informal chat. Those teacher types tend to be more approachable than some academics.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

They advertise career switch programmes here in VA too. I have known a few people start out as a substitute teacher as a path to a permenant position. Around here you even have to start out as a "floater" to get a job in the school cafeteria. I think it's because the city benefits, especially health insurance, are better than most.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Texas at least Sub teachers get paid only $10 per hour !!!!