Reload this Page >

Teacher in NYC

Teacher in NYC

Old Apr 8th 2021, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Accarano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teacher in NYC

Hello!

I am in the process of applying to teaching jobs in independent schools in New York and wondered if anyone here has been successful in securing employment before their visa application was complete.

I am in the process of applying for an L2 visa but my appointment isn't til August.

Does anyone have any advice for job applications? I have 9 years of teaching experience in the UK in mainstream public schools.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 8th 2021, 1:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher in NYC

I doubt you can secure employment before the visa application is complete, because the school will need proof of your right to work in the USA. That means after having arrived in the USA on the L2, AND after having obtained your EAD.

Rene
Old Apr 8th 2021, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you are looking for employment starting 2022 year?

I am not sure any schools look that far forward.

Old Apr 9th 2021, 11:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What is your projected timeframe for starting this job? You know you have to have an EAD in hand, that cannot be applied for before you arrive, and that that is currently taking several months to be actioned and sent to you, right?
Old Apr 9th 2021, 11:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the OP could secure temp work until Sept 2022...but would need EAD. The teachers at the schools my daughter attended in NJ were employed on 12 month contracts...salaries were low.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 9th 2021 at 1:07 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Accarano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses.

I am aware that to work in NYC, I require a visa then EAD. My understanding is that many international schools appoint international applicants and then support them to gain a visa. From these responses, it sounds as though no company is allowed to consider an applicant without a visa.

I was wondering if anyone in here has experience of gaining employment as a teacher who would be able to give advice on applying. I know that to work in a public school, you require the state teaching certificate which you cannot apply for without visa/work permit.

Has anyone successfully gained employment in an international school who would be willing to help?

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th 2021, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accarano
Thank you for the responses.

I am aware that to work in NYC, I require a visa then EAD. My understanding is that many international schools appoint international applicants and then support them to gain a visa. From these responses, it sounds as though no company is allowed to consider an applicant without a visa.

I was wondering if anyone in here has experience of gaining employment as a teacher who would be able to give advice on applying. I know that to work in a public school, you require the state teaching certificate which you cannot apply for without visa/work permit.

Has anyone successfully gained employment in an international school who would be willing to help?

Thanks!
You wouldn’t require the help of an international school to get you an L-2 visa. You would apply for that yourself as a dependent of your spouse.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

During the pandemic, it took 4.5 months for my wife to secure an EAD on L-2.

Adjustment of Status EAD followed later (combined AP card) and that took 3 months after biometrics.

The OP faces two choices:
1. Ensure that there’s sufficient income by the spouse, or, have enough savings that would last up to 6 months
2. Travel to the US on L-2, stay for a week, and apply for EAD during this time. Then travel back to the UK where you continue to work on UK payroll, while residing in the UK. Once EAD comes through, move to the US

Last edited by destone; Apr 9th 2021 at 9:51 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need Biometrics for EAD

Sounds like the OP is looking for a visa other than the L2 so she can start work immediately.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Apr 9th 2021 at 10:43 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 3:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This might appear as a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. You are aware that an L2 is a follow to join visa dependent on the holder of the L1 visa, i.e. your spouse.

Are you searching for a stand alone visa to enter the US and work as a teacher?
Old Apr 10th 2021, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This might appear as a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. You are aware that an L2 is a follow to join visa dependent on the holder of the L1 visa, i.e. your spouse.

Are you searching for a stand alone visa to enter the US and work as a teacher?
Maybe the OP thought it may be quicker than waiting for the EAD.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 5:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What visa is needed for a teaching position in the US? An H visa? I know that works for college professors but does it work for lay teachers in lower school grades?
Old Apr 10th 2021, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You need Biometrics for EAD

Sounds like the OP is looking for a visa other than the L2 so she can start work immediately.
My spouse did not require one for her L-2 EAD. Only for the I-485 EAD.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:32 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
My spouse did not require one for her L-2 EAD. Only for the I-485 EAD.
Your spouse got her EAD right when she arrived with no wait? The OP is trying to figure out how to work right away given the wait for the EAD.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 1:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Your spouse got her EAD right when she arrived with no wait? The OP is trying to figure out how to work right away given the wait for the EAD.
No, he means there was no biometrics required.

Rene