Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TB Skin Test

TB Skin Test

Old Feb 11th 2018, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TB Skin Test

Originally Posted by trickation
Why wife and I moved here on H1B/H4 visas last year and are now filing for adjustment of status. We have had the medical exam by a civil surgeon here in SF, and had appropriate vaccinations and the TB skin test done. We are now about 40 hours in since the test and to my eyes it looks positive - red and puffy - on both of us. We were both BCG vaccinated in our teens and would assume very low risk.

I hadn't realised at the time that BCG vaccination had any effect, else I would have gone for the blood test. It looks like this result will mean referral for treatment, even with a clear chest xray (which from what I have read, will come next).

Has anyone had any experience with this? Particularly in California?

Nothing ever seems to be simple!

Thanks
It happened to me also, I am told that everyone who had the BCG vaccination will show signs of TB but once it was explained to me by a doctor I was given the all clear, I didn't need an xray or any other tests.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

This subject has always been a bone of contention with me! I've had an on/off issue with this all of the 34 yrs I've lived here. The first TB test I had (30 odd yrs ago) was positive, and it sent the hospital I worked at into a tizzy! They practically forced me into being treated (oral medication) for exposure to "TB", which I took as I didn't really know any better. I was informed not to have the skin test again as it could cause scarring, and I would always be positive due to having the BCG. Over the years I've run into Doctors that have said "oh yeah, you're from Europe so you were vaccinated, you didn't need to take that medicine".........Ya think!!!!! Now I have to fill out a form every year indicating I'm not symptomatic, and I have a chest xray on file which is good for 10yrs. It does seem like there's more education out there now, which is a good thing.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

jcampo is an unknown quantity at this point

What matters on the TB skin test is the diameter of any bump (i.e. induration) and not the redness. Unfortunately, the TB skin test is notoriously inaccurate, particularly in borderline cases, and you are depending on the person reading it. The QuantiFERON TB blood test is definitely the way to go in cases like yours as it is much more accurate than the skin test and will tell you whether you need to commit to a lifetime of xrays or not.