Taxes

Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

AliciaPhil79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxes

Right we been living in the USA since sep 2012. And now time for the good old tax forms to be filled out

My hubby has a PR and is from the UK, I'm a US critizen.

Is there anything we should not do or out on the taxes forms which would cause him harm in getting his US critzensip in a couple of years time? I know there something about alien but not alien as PR or what ever.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes

Originally Posted by AliciaPhil79
Right we been living in the USA since sep 2012. And now time for the good old tax forms to be filled out

My hubby has a PR and is from the UK, I'm a US critizen.

Is there anything we should not do or out on the taxes forms which would cause him harm in getting his US critzensip in a couple of years time? I know there something about alien but not alien as PR or what ever.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
The only tax issues regarding his future USC application would be to make sure he files one (jointly with you is OK), and that it's in one of the "married" categories.

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, another question as he only got his PR in Sep 2012 do we have to put down his work pay before he got his PR? since Sep 2012 he has not worked in the USA and look after our child.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, another question as he only got his PR in Sep 2012 do we have to put down his work pay before he got his PR? since Sep 2012 he has not worked in the USA and look after our child.
Yes, you have to claim his UK income on form 1116 and take the foreign tax credits to offset any US taxes owed.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1116.pdf
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Why would he paid US taxes? he never worked in the US last year, he left his job in the UK before he got his PR and travelled to the US, so is he laible for us taxes?

Last edited by AliciaPhil79; Mar 15th 2013 at 8:38 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Why would he paid US taxes? he never worked in the US last year, he left his job before he got his PR, so is he laible for us taxes?
LPRs, US citizens, and residents of the US must report worldwide income. Since you are filing jointly (you could file separately but your taxes would likely be higher), his income for the year is family income. However since he probably didn't work in a low tax country, foreign tax credits will likely offset any use taxes owed and you get the benefit of low marginal tax rates and higher exemptions giving you lower taxes.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Inter...d-Ending-Dates

I believe green card holders that don't meet the substantial presence test and doesn't have any US income, do not have to file a tax return and don't have to report foreign income but then you must file as "married filing separately".

If a foreigner is working in the US but does not meet the "substantial presence test", they can file as a non resident alien (form 1040 NR) and not report foreign income but they don't get the deductions and credits that someone gets filing form 1040.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 15th 2013 at 8:52 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Why would he paid US taxes? he never worked in the US last year, he left his job in the UK before he got his PR and travelled to the US, so is he laible for us taxes?
You should really speak to an accountant about this. I just used one for my first tax return to make sure it was right. He will walk you through the whole process. http://www.britishexpatstax.com/. Very good service.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe green card holders that don't meet the substantial presence test and doesn't have any US income, do not have to file a tax return and don't have to report foreign income but then you must file as "married filing separately".
Verify all this with a competent CPA, however as far as I am aware.

As far as I am aware, if you are a green card holder then the substantial presence test does not apply. You are always treated as a resident from the point of first arrival in the United States with an immigrant visa.

If you want to file married/joint, you have to elect both spouses to be U.S. resident for the full year.

If a newly arrived GC holder only wants to include worldwide income after date of arrival, that person (if married) must file as married/separate or (in limited circumstances) head of household.