Reload this Page >

Taxation of Occupational Pension

Taxation of Occupational Pension

Old Sep 25th 2021, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxation of Occupational Pension

Originally Posted by lansbury
This is the relevant part of Article 19 of the UK-US Tax Treaty.

This is the explanation of that from the Treaty Technical notes

The MOD pension IMO is without doubt a Government Service Pension. If police and fire pensions count as Government Service Pensions, and they do, then a NHS pension should as well.
Thanks.

I understand the Agencies you mentioned are all managed by SPPA (Scottish Public Pension Agency)
Old Sep 25th 2021, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

If your mother is only a UK citizen, the civil service pension would only be taxed in the UK. The UK State pension is taxable as income in the USA.

She could use her UK tax allowance against taxable income in the UK.
Thanks for this. I did not know.

It really does put the "Cat amongst the Pigeons" Do you know the current rate of tax? Does US have a "Tax Allowance" system, whereby the first X amount of earnings is tax free?

Thank you.

Last edited by stuwoolf; Sep 25th 2021 at 12:11 am.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stuwoolf

It really does put the "Cat amongst the Pigeons" Do you know the current rate of tax? Does US have a "Tax Allowance" system, whereby the first X amount of earnings is tax free?

Thank you.
Thinking more on this, I now reside in Florida which does not have State Income Taxes, only Federal Income Tax. I presume it will be the Fed element of taxation which will apply.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 12:19 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
Effectively yes the same standard deduction as you have (half if filing single).

“In 2021 the standard deduction is $12,550 for singles filers and married filing separately, $25,100 for joint filers and $18,800 for head of household.” But when you add on the significant cost of health insurance it will be a lot higher.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...dard-deduction

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-pro...-tax-year-2021

Last edited by tht; Sep 25th 2021 at 12:22 am.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Effectively yes the same standard deduction as you have (half if filing single).

“In 2021 the standard deduction is $12,550 for singles filers and married filing separately, $25,100 for joint filers and $18,800 for head of household.” But when you add on the significant cost of health insurance it will be a lot higher.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...dard-deduction

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-pro...-tax-year-2021
Thanks for this.

Could you clarify what is meant by "standard deduction" is that the point where taxation begins on income above that figure?

Grateful for your continuing assistance.🙂

Old Sep 25th 2021, 6:27 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this.

Could you clarify what is meant by "standard deduction" is that the point where taxation begins on income above that figure?

you have 2 options:
- standard
- itemized

Before the changes to the SALT rules (not as relevant in FL anyway) I would already be itemized and my deduction was many times bigger than the “standard” because I had NY state city and property taxes to deduct in addition to mortgage interest and charity donations. Now with many of them gone for now I have used the standard a few times. You don’t really need to think about it, you put all your details in to the tax software and it tells you what’s best. If you are close to itemized there are strategies where you try alternate between standard and itemized. e.g. no donations to charity one year and then double the next, or if you have significant medical expenses you can plan the timing of you put them all in to one year.

To compare it to the UK, basically the standard deduction works out to be similar to the tax free allowance, although I think in the UK that now does not apply over a GBP125k or somthing close to that. In that if your earn below it you won’t pay federal income tax.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 9:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this.

For 2021 the standard deduction is $12,550 for single taxpayers. $12,550 for married taxpayers filing separately. $18,800 for heads of households. $25,100 for married taxpayers filing jointly. If you are over 65 the amounts are about $1300 higher. If you have a high amount of deductions, you can opt to itemize them giving you possibly higher deduction sums.

Effectively the above means if you file married filing jointly the first $25,100 of income is free of tax.

Old Sep 26th 2021, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

For 2021 the standard deduction is $12,550 for single taxpayers. $12,550 for married taxpayers filing separately. $18,800 for heads of households. $25,100 for married taxpayers filing jointly. If you are over 65 the amounts are about $1300 higher. If you have a high amount of deductions, you can opt to itemize them giving you possibly higher deduction sums.

Effectively the above means if you file married filing jointly the first $25,100 of income is free of tax.

…and that is taxable income, right? If you pay into a pension scheme or a health savings account that money goes in before tax so your actual income could well be much higher than your taxable income.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks🙂
Old Sep 28th 2021, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you to all who have given me guidance.

Much appreciated🙂