Reload this Page >

Taxation - Moving to the Usa

Taxation - Moving to the Usa

Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Keith NP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxation - Moving to the Usa

Hi Folks.

Looks like we are off the the USA on a L1-B Visa. But have a question on the taxation.

As i will be working for a US company my wife under an L2 visa will try to get work authorisation to work next year. The question is to what status is it best to file our taxes i.e Married filing jointly or Maried filing sparatley.

Regards

Keith NP
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:33 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxation - Moving to the Usa

You don't need to decide until you file the tax return (following April), so you can fill out the return both ways at that time and see which works best. Chances are that it'll be married filing jointly.

Welcome to the US, BTW.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith NP
Hi Folks.

Looks like we are off the the USA on a L1-B Visa. But have a question on the taxation.

As i will be working for a US company my wife under an L2 visa will try to get work authorisation to work next year. The question is to what status is it best to file our taxes i.e Married filing jointly or Maried filing sparatley.

Regards

Keith NP
Which tax return are you refering to? British or American? You will have to file both British and US tax returns (what fun!)...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks.

Regards

Keith NP
Buy yourself a copy of Dummies/Idiots Guide when you get here to find the differences and get you thinking in "deductions" mode. If you're not using a CPA, use a tax program (e.g. TurboTax). It'll run it both ways for you and tell you which is the best way to file for your circumstances.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Keith NP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Which tax return are you refering to? British or American? You will have to file both British and US tax returns (what fun!)...

NC Penguin
Am refering to the US tax returns. HAve read that as both of us are nonresident aliens we cannot file as married filing jointly.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:21 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Am refering to the US tax returns. HAve read that as both of us are nonresident aliens we cannot file as married filing jointly.
Look on the IRS web site (www.irs.gov) for publication 519 (tax guide for aliens). I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you'll find that being here on the L visa (see 'substantial presence test'*) will make you a resident for tax purposes (not resident for immigration purposes). If so, you file taxes in the same way as a US citizen.

* you probably have to be here for at least six months during the calendar year to qualify as resident for tax
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and i are here on L visas and file jointly (done by Deloitte who seem to know what they are doing)
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=AdobePinon]Look on the IRS web site (www.irs.gov) for publication 519 (tax guide for aliens). I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you'll find that being here on the L visa (see 'substantial presence test'*) will make you a resident for tax purposes (not resident for immigration purposes). If so, you file taxes in the same way as a US citizen.

* you probably have to be here for at least six months during the calendar year to qualify as resident for tax[/QUOTE]

Not sure about L visas but we filed as resident for tax within 2 months of arrival on GC's.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:56 pm
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Not sure about L visas but we filed as resident for tax within 2 months of arrival on GC's.
That's because you were resident for immigration which automatically makes you resident for tax. But like I said, I'm not too familiar with the L visa - he needs to do some research.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:01 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

* you probably have to be here for at least six months during the calendar year to qualify as resident for tax[/QUOTE]

I'm here on an L1 visa for a year and I just pay uk tax however I think there is a time limit.