Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Troubles

Tax Troubles

Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future
Default Tax Troubles

We filed our taxes early April but have since found out that our accountant has screwed up. We spoke to IRS today and they advised us to e file, ( substantial refund hence phoning the IRS). Accountant has told us we can't e file because we are LPRs and not citizens to which I am highly suspicious. Has anyone e filed and had problems.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:32 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Troubles

Originally Posted by Pennywell
Accountant has told us we can't e file because we are LPRs and not citizens to which I am highly suspicious.
Time for a new accountant.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:03 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We filed our taxes early April but have since found out that our accountant has screwed up. We spoke to IRS today and they advised us to e file, ( substantial refund hence phoning the IRS). Accountant has told us we can't e file because we are LPRs and not citizens to which I am highly suspicious. Has anyone e filed and had problems.
We e filed and we are LPR's. No problems at all and had our refund amazingly quickly.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Time for a new accountant.
Ditto.

Taxman doesn't care about your immigration status.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
Ditto.

Taxman doesn't care about your immigration status.
Actually they kind of do, but not where e-filing is concerned. We've e-filed the last 3 years with no problems.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Accountant has told us we can't e file because we are LPRs and not citizens to which I am highly suspicious.
Your accountant is an idiot. Sue him... it'll be a real attention getter! If you don't want to sue, I suggest a "strongly worded" letter to his firm... and don't forget to send a copy to your local newspaper.

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your accountant is an idiot. Sue him... it'll be a real attention getter! If you don't want to sue, I suggest a "strongly worded" letter to his firm... and don't forget to send a copy to your local newspaper.

Ian
Aye, it'll fast track you to the American way of life too

But yeah, whatevery one else has said, the accountant is a mongtard.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that you are not citizens has nothing to do with it.

However, since you have already filed in April you will need to file an amended return using Form 1040X (and possibly some others, depending on exactly what you have changed) - that is the problem. As far as I know you cannot e-file a Form 1040X.

So it looks like both your accountant and the advice you got over the phone from the IRS were wrong ...

Last edited by md95065; Jun 13th 2008 at 2:30 am.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

It would really help if you could recite the precise nature of your "tax trouble."

As for e-filing -- we've done it for a few years via our accountant with no problems.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Hi Ian:

Sue for what? All she said was that the accountant "screwed up" and apparently they were entitled to a big refund but for that screw up. And then she diverts into the e-filing.

I, for one, would like to know the nature of the "screw up" and how much money was involved.

BTW, when my accountant has made errors from time to time, she has corrected them at no expense to us. And the nature of the errors have usually been fairly harmless to us.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Sue for what?
I've no idea... but I'm in "sue-the-buggers" mode just now!

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2008, 3:07 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Not only have we e-filed as LPR's, but we e-filed as non-immigrants for the previous 4 years too.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future

Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Problems have arisen because we were basically stupid, ill informed and stupid, did I mention that. The tax refund is due to the interest rebate on the mortgage. The accountant took into the fact that we had a sub-prime mortgage and hence sent us an amendment once we alerted him that. We duly sent both to IRS who claim that they only have the amendment i.e. the amended one showing interest rebate from our original mortgage provider.
The IRS will not process the amended copy until they receive the original
The beef with the accountant is that we were not told that this could be an issue and haven payed him $$$$ we feel a bit let down. We could have done this ourselves via Turbo Tax etc..
We just want to sort this out and rather than play the blame game, (as is a want of American culture) ,to find a solution, quickly.
I am so annoyed that the accountant used the excuse of us not being citizens to tell us why we need to wait for a legitimate refund, hence the post.

Once again thanks all
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Problems have arisen because we were basically stupid, ill informed and stupid, did I mention that. The tax refund is due to the interest rebate on the mortgage. The accountant took into the fact that we had a sub-prime mortgage and hence sent us an amendment once we alerted him that. We duly sent both to IRS who claim that they only have the amendment i.e. the amended one showing interest rebate from our original mortgage provider.
The IRS will not process the amended copy until they receive the original
The beef with the accountant is that we were not told that this could be an issue and haven payed him $$$$ we feel a bit let down. We could have done this ourselves via Turbo Tax etc..
We just want to sort this out and rather than play the blame game, (as is a want of American culture) ,to find a solution, quickly.
I am so annoyed that the accountant used the excuse of us not being citizens to tell us why we need to wait for a legitimate refund, hence the post.

Once again thanks all
Hi:

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not a tax expert and have no ready comment. However, I would suggest that comments AFTER you made the nature of the problem apparent might be of value.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

OK - now everything becomes a little clearer.

The problem, that you have now correctly identified, is that since you have filed an initial return the IRS cannot process your amended return until they have processed the first one.

At this point, yes, you are basically stuck waiting for the IRS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.