Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Time Woes, I have to be doing this wrong.

Tax Time Woes, I have to be doing this wrong.

Old Jan 25th 2021, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

oli4uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Time Woes, I have to be doing this wrong.

I've lived in the USA for ten years now and in all that time I've not received any income from the UK (and Will not until I hit retirement)

And yet, every year I open up tax calc to submit my taxes, and every year I feel like I'm walking through a minefield of reporting my US income, my residency, domicile, etc. The sheer number of questions around this are overwhelming, and then I often do something wrong (Entering current country of residency in a DTA box etc.

Is there any way I can show that I do not need to file taxes, is there a step by step guide for people in my position, or even examples of what I should fill in and what I should ignore.

Any help is appreciated, yet again I'm tearing my hair out trying to fix all the taxcalc red flags on what I want to submit!
Old Jan 25th 2021, 2:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Time Woes, I have to be doing this wrong.

Originally Posted by oli4uk
I've lived in the USA for ten years now and in all that time I've not received any income from the UK (and Will not until I hit retirement)

And yet, every year I open up tax calc to submit my taxes, and every year I feel like I'm walking through a minefield of reporting my US income, my residency, domicile, etc. The sheer number of questions around this are overwhelming, and then I often do something wrong (Entering current country of residency in a DTA box etc.

Is there any way I can show that I do not need to file taxes, is there a step by step guide for people in my position, or even examples of what I should fill in and what I should ignore.

Any help is appreciated, yet again I'm tearing my hair out trying to fix all the taxcalc red flags on what I want to submit!
I'm not sure why you are filing UK taxes? If you have lived in the US for ten years, you should have advised the UK that you no longer live there and put an end to it.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm not sure why you are filing UK taxes? If you have lived in the US for ten years, you should have advised the UK that you no longer live there and put an end to it.
^^This^^ I put my P85 in the mail on the way to the airport on the day I left. The only time HMRC contacted me since was to give me a refund in income tax paid in the year.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

I filed p85 the paperwork when I left the UK but I still receive a self assessment notification, is there a clear way to remove myself from this process?

Last edited by oli4uk; Jan 25th 2021 at 3:50 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 4:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I filed p85 the paperwork when I left the UK but I still receive a self assessment notification, is there a clear way to remove myself from this process?
Persistence. Write, phone, email. Send them a copy of the paperwork you filed. Keep at them until it's fixed.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 5:00 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

back on in 2015 a few emails back and forth here did the trick for me (not sure if it still works): [email protected]. I think I maybe went through a webform initially, but then got human reply’s to emails.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

I'll give the email a shot!

Unfortunately ten years has passed since I submitted my p85, I had a copy at one point but I have no idea where it is, if I still have it!
Old Jan 25th 2021, 6:28 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I had UK rental income so thought I had to submit UK taxes. One year I had a question on the tax return and called them about it. They told me that because my UK income was less than the personal allowance I should stop submitting UK taxes and contact them if it ever increased above the personal limit. So I just stopped and I have never heard from them again. So, maybe you just stop submitting them?
Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

I missed the filing deadline once by a few days and ended up with a £100 fine, so would rather avoid trying that until I have something in writing :P
Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:53 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is a bit harsh especially if you don't owe any taxes. Maybe try this link, it is a current live link to HRMC for non residents.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/short...rm/CNR_GEN_SEF
Old Jan 25th 2021, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Wow, that is a bit harsh especially if you don't owe any taxes. Maybe try this link, it is a current live link to HRMC for non residents.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/short...rm/CNR_GEN_SEF
I'll take a look at this as well! between live chat, the email mentioned above, and this form I'm hoping I can get someone over there to help me out!
Old Jan 25th 2021, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
I had UK rental income so thought I had to submit UK taxes. One year I had a question on the tax return and called them about it. They told me that because my UK income was less than the personal allowance I should stop submitting UK taxes and contact them if it ever increased above the personal limit. So I just stopped and I have never heard from them again. So, maybe you just stop submitting them?
I had same experience, except they wrote to me and said that I did not need to file a UK return unless my profit went over the personal allowance. I framed the letter and hung it proudly on the wall of my office!
Old Jan 26th 2021, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I have a different feel. I left for the US and didn't fill a p85, if they want any tax off my US income, the UK can suck eggs.

Also, the peace of mind a CPA gives me is endless.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
I have a different feel. I left for the US and didn't fill a p85, if they want any tax off my US income, the UK can suck eggs.

Also, the peace of mind a CPA gives me is endless.
I p85'ed and got a small refund. As for the CPA it was the opposite for me - I found myself combing over everything and found a couple issues, so ended up filing myself again.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I p85'ed and got a small refund. As for the CPA it was the opposite for me - I found myself combing over everything and found a couple issues, so ended up filing myself again.
Hey Tom, good to see you (virtually), iv'e been inactive for some time.

I should clarify, my tax situation is now extremely complicated. I require a CPA and an international tax attorney, not for bad reasons, the situation is just very complicated. If I had to do myself, I would never sleep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.