Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax on saving

Tax on saving

Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax on saving

Just like to know once i sell my property and move to US, and within a few months purchase a property with all the money from my previous property, the following year would i be taxed on the money i brought in and spent within a matter of months?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on saving

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Just like to know once i sell my property and move to US, and within a few months purchase a property with all the money from my previous property, the following year would i be taxed on the money i brought in and spent within a matter of months?
You have to declare any capital gain you make on the sale, but if the property was your primary residence (where you lived for at least two of the last five years) then you have a tax-free allowance of $250,000, $500,000 if married filing jointly. You can also deduct selling costs (solicitors, estate agents fees) from the capital gained.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in my current home for over 50 years and once sold hope to have approx $180,000 and intend to purchase another property of similar value $180,000.

I was just curious if i come with $180,000 and i was taxed i may only be left with who know $130,000?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
I have lived in my current home for over 50 years and once sold hope to have approx $180,000 and intend to purchase another property of similar value $180,000.

I was just curious if i come with $180,000 and i was taxed i may only be left with who know $130,000?
You get taxed on the capital gain - i.e. the difference between the money you receive for it less the money you paid for it fifty years ago, or the value of the property when you inherited it, if that is the case. If that number comes to more than $250,000/$500,000 depending on filing status, then you pay capital gains tax on the amount above the exemption.

It seems to me you should be comfortably under the exemption and will most likely have no tax to pay.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the information you provided as i am getting to think of all the little pit falls and is there a way out. Where as i could jump from the frying pan into the fire!

Many Thanks once again!