Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax returns?

Tax returns?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax returns?

I just read the "Failed Interview" post, and now I'm curious.

I (the USC), did not submit three years of tax returns as part of the I-864 documents because I didn't work in 2009 and only worked a day in 2008. I did submit my W-2 form from 2008 along with a note indicating that I did not file taxes because I did not earn enough to make the minimum filing threshold.

We're waiting at the moment to hear from USCIS about when my husband's London interview will be. Are they going to request three years of tax returns? I can show 2005, 2006 and 2007. But I haven't needed to file since then.

If it's relevant, we're primarily using assets to meet the poverty guidelines, but our assets are WAY above the requirement, so as long as they're OK with us using assets, my not having income shouldn't be a concern for them.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Tax returns?

By the way, I haven't been WORKING in the UK. I've been a stay-at-home mom. That seems to be the difference between myself and the wife in "Failed Interview."

Does that make a difference?

I just need to know if I need to start gathering up old tax returns.

Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USGirl
By the way, I haven't been WORKING in the UK. I've been a stay-at-home mom. That seems to be the difference between myself and the wife in "Failed Interview."

Does that make a difference?

I just need to know if I need to start gathering up old tax returns.

Thanks.
There is really no way of knowing nowadays what the ConOff will ask for. If you want to be 100% prepared, you can file the 3 most current tax returns and put 0 for income, just so you will have proof of filing in case they are required.

Seems to be the luck of the draw lately on whether the ConOff wants them or doesn't want them (if income is 0).

I don't know the answer to this, but throwing it out there for thought....I guess the assets don't require a tax return?

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

They're actually my husband's assets, so no tax return is required for them.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really about the assets.

You may be required to show your tax returns, so if you just do them now with 0 amounts you will be ahead of the game if the Con Off asks for them.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Filing tax returns when I've made no money. It's like I've stumbled into a circle of hell... Sigh. Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 6:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

USG,

You are not required to submit an income tax return for immigration purposes if you were not required to file an income tax return with the IRS. Instead, you must submit a statement explaining why you were not required to file an income tax return.

USCIS won't be notifying you when your husband's visa interview will be.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by USGirl
I (the USC), did not submit three years of tax returns as part of the I-864 documents because I didn't work in 2009 and only worked a day in 2008. I did submit my W-2 form from 2008 along with a note indicating that I did not file taxes because I did not earn enough to make the minimum filing threshold.

We're waiting at the moment to hear from USCIS about when my husband's London interview will be.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 6:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Having assets does not require one to file an income tax return - having income requires one to file an income tax return.

If the assets are generating income, or if the assets are sold and create income, then an income tax return may be required.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know the answer to this, but throwing it out there for thought....I guess the assets don't require a tax return?