Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Return Question

Tax Return Question

Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough
Default Tax Return Question

Hi

Just a quick question for you all, my father in law was visiting New York & saw his accountant as he was filing his taxes, we had asked if he could find out if my US wife who worked overseas all of last year needed to include me on her tax returns.

He wasn't sure but thinks so, we have tried checking it out on the irs website but still no joy.

So the question we want answered is even though I worked in the UK for the whole of 2011 & paid my taxes there do I need to be included on my wife's tax return for last year, we have been married since April 2011.

We moved to the US & my residents green card is dated from the 24th December 2011.

Thanks for any help people can give us.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return Question

Originally Posted by janicedean164
... do I need to be included on my wife's tax return for last year, we have been married since April 2011.
Yes.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:58 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily, she can file married filing separately. You would then have to file US taxes yourself depending on your exact US residency status during 2011

Last edited by nun; Feb 14th 2012 at 2:00 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nun
Not necessarily, she can file married filing separately. You would then have to file US taxes yourself depending on your exact US residency status during 2011
Up until xmas eve I was not living in the US, my green card was confirmed on a 6 month visa(2 years once we had entered the US) on december 1st, my actual date on my green card is 24th Dec 2011 as this is when we came into NC to live, I did not work here for the whole of 2011 as did my wife who worked in the UK for the whole of 2011, thanks so far for your answers!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Up until xmas eve I was not living in the US...
That doesn't matter. Residency isn't the issue. You were married in April.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That doesn't matter. Residency isn't the issue. You were married in April.

Ian
Ok that's kind of what we were beginning to think but thank you for clarifying it, the other questions are do I need to file taxes or does my wife need to include my salary for last year in her tax returns?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

... do I need to file taxes...
If you were resident in the US prior to December 31, you should file a return. You likely won't have any actual tax burden. Note: "should" is not the same as "must".

... or does my wife need to include my salary for last year in her tax returns?
Generally speaking, you'll collectively get a better tax break if she simply files as married filing jointly, and includes your salary.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you were resident in the US prior to December 31, you should file a return. You likely won't have any actual tax burden. Note: "should" is not the same as "must".

Generally speaking, you'll collectively get a better tax break if she simply files as married filing jointly, and includes your salary.

Ian

Thank you so much for all your help, we will do as you have suggested, it makes most sense!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for all your help, we will do as you have suggested, it makes most sense!
If you go the married filing jointly route make sure you include all your foreign assets and take either FEIE or foreign tax credits. If you paid into UK pensions or owned stocks and shares ISAs or UK unit trusts you will probably have to take tax treaty positions and may have to file foreign trust and or PFIC forms too.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:51 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with the above and think it is easier to file jointly from what my relative have said in the past