Reload this Page >

tax return help

tax return help

Old Jan 30th 2024, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

DerekB1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax return help

Hi,

My USC wife is currently living with me in the UK and has been since last January, she now has to complete her tax return for last year however we're not sure how to file.. we're trying to file electronically but could anyone help with the following?
  • Does my wife need to use the UK address or her US address?
  • We're assuming she needs to now file as "Married filing separately", is this correct?
  • if the above is correct do we just need to write my details as her spouse and 'NRA' where it requires an SSN or ITIN?
  • is there anything that I need to complete even though I don't have a visa yet?
Thanks

Derek
Old Jan 30th 2024, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax return help

You guys married in 2023?

Originally Posted by DerekB1972
Does my wife need to use the UK address or her US address?
Wherever her current address is now, at the time of filing.

We're assuming she needs to now file as "Married filing separately", is this correct?
Not necessarily. You guys can also elect to use the "Nonresident Spouse Treated as Resident" election and treat you as a resident alien and file as Married Filing Jointly. This would mean that your worldwide income the entire year would need to be reported also, though you would be able to use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and/or Foreign Tax Credit to reduce the US tax on your income.

if the above is correct do we just need to write my details as her spouse and 'NRA' where it requires an SSN or ITIN?
If she is filing separately, then she would just put "NRA" in the space for your SSN/ITIN. If you guys are filing jointly, then you would need to apply for an ITIN with the tax return if you do not already have an SSN or ITIN.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newacct
You guys married in 2023?

Wherever her current address is now, at the time of filing.

Not necessarily. You guys can also elect to use the "Nonresident Spouse Treated as Resident" election and treat you as a resident alien and file as Married Filing Jointly. This would mean that your worldwide income the entire year would need to be reported also, though you would be able to use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and/or Foreign Tax Credit to reduce the US tax on your income.

If she is filing separately, then she would just put "NRA" in the space for your SSN/ITIN. If you guys are filing jointly, then you would need to apply for an ITIN with the tax return if you do not already have an SSN or ITIN.

Thank you, yes we got married in 2023 so her previous tax return was filed as 'Single'

We'll file separately this year to keep things simpler, we'll file 'jointly' next year

Regards

Derek
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Next question, can anyone recommend the website to submit the tax return, we initially tried FreeTaxUSA but unfortunately the software does not support Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately without an SSN or ITIN
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Next question, can anyone recommend the website to submit the tax return, we initially tried FreeTaxUSA but unfortunately the software does not support Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately without an SSN or ITIN
For TurboTax, if you wanted to do Married Filing Separately, you would have it print out the paper return, write NRA in the space, and then mail it. You may be able to do something similar with FreeTaxUSA.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, after a bit of googling we found H&R Block which allowed us to enter the NRA on their site and submit taxes electronically