Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tax return docs for N-400

tax return docs for N-400

Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

curiosity_killed_the_cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax return docs for N-400

The Document Checklist for N-400 states that, among other things, one needs to provide the following:

Documents referring to you and your spouse:
* Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
* Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
* An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

My spouse and I file our taxes electronically through H&R Block. Is the print-out from the H&R Block of the submitted forms and of the tax return summary (that lists total income, adjusted gross income, taxable income, tax computation, credits, payments, and refund) sufficient for the last two requirements above? Does this print-out need to be certified? If so, where is the best place to do it? Is the IRS tax return transcript also necessary?

Thank you.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax return docs for N-400

Originally Posted by curiosity_killed_the_cat
The Document Checklist for N-400 states that, among other things, one needs to provide the following:

* Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
* Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or

My spouse and I file our taxes electronically through H&R Block. Is the print-out from the H&R Block of the submitted forms and of the tax return summary (that lists total income, adjusted gross income, taxable income, tax computation, credits, payments, and refund) sufficient for the last two requirements above? Does this print-out need to be certified? If so, where is the best place to do it? Is the IRS tax return transcript also necessary?

Thank you.
Note the "or". I submitted ONLY the tax transcripts. You can order them free from the IRS. IMHO that's the easiest way to go.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

samal1485 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.
HR block print out will do.
Sam
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Note the "or". I submitted ONLY the tax transcripts. You can order them free from the IRS. IMHO that's the easiest way to go.
I did this as well, very easy.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samal1485
HR block print out will do.
Sam
If you use the HR Block print outs, don't forget to include copies of your W-2's or 1099's.

If you use IRS tax transcripts, you don't need to include the W-2's or 1099's.

Rene
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I did this as well, very easy.
Me three.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your helpful replies. According to the IRS website, the tax transcripts take two weeks to deliver. I'd rather not wait and send the H&R Block printouts along with W-2s. Do I need to certify them at a notary?
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your helpful replies. According to the IRS website, the tax transcripts take two weeks to deliver. I'd rather not wait and send the H&R Block printouts along with W-2s. Do I need to certify them at a notary?
No, copies do not need to be certified / notarized.

You can call the IRS 800 number and get the transcripts faxed to you, I think. Ours only took about a week in the mail.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

They can arrive much faster than that, and if you phone the operator there and have a fax machine, they can send them to you then and there.

You don't need to have your copies notarized but don't forget to include every attachement that went in with the original return.
And save a copy for yourself, of course.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I called them up, they printed them out while I was on the phone and they arrived 3 days later.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:58 am
Just Joined

I called IRS, clicked zero twice before listening to any prompts and, after about 20 mins of waiting, got to talk to an agent who faxed me the transcripts.

Thank you all again for your tips.