Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax - rental income in UK

Tax - rental income in UK

Old Jan 30th 2020, 12:48 am
Just Joined

phish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax - rental income in UK

First time completing a tax return after a full year as tax resident in 2019.

When figuring out the cost of the property in the UK for deprecation purposes, would I use the 2019 FX rate or the exchange rate of the year I purchased the property - 2016?
Old Jan 30th 2020, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax - rental income in UK

Neither. Unless the property is a QBU you use the spot rate for the date of purchase. In the US you'll want Schedule E, Form 4562, Form 8852, Form 8858 & Form 1116.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Noted, thank you!

Will take a look at those other forms and make sure they're completed - hoping Turbotax will check most of them off.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 3:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phish
.... When figuring out the cost of the property in the UK for deprecation purposes, ....
You realize that you're only depreciating the structure, not the value of the land, right?
Old Jan 30th 2020, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You realize that you're only depreciating the structure, not the value of the land, right?
Yes, I believe that is what Turbotax has done.

upload picture

Cost I included actual value that I paid for it, plus solicitor fees and stamp duty.

Land value I figured as the property value only, multiplied by a factor of 15%. The property is one of six flats in a single building.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 5:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phish
.... Land value I figured as the property value only, multiplied by a factor of 15%. The property is one of six flats in a single building.
That sounds like a reasonable percentage for a small block of flats.