Reload this Page >

Tax Questions

Tax Questions

Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

raandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Questions

Hi

I am on H1B visa for couple of years. Recently I have changed my job and I do have valid h1b. I filed tax in July 5 actually i have extended upto august. Together with tax papers I have submitted application for TIN NO. for my wife who is on H4 visa. Its been 2 months now but I still did not receive my tax return nor tin no. Right now I am out of country for a month. So is there anyway I can check my status or call them up. Please help me in this regard.

Thanks a lot
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Bryan Kellar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Questions

Originally Posted by raandra
I am on H1B visa for couple of years. Recently I have changed my job and I do have valid h1b. I filed tax in July 5 actually i have extended upto august. Together with tax papers I have submitted application for TIN NO. for my wife who is on H4 visa. Its been 2 months now but I still did not receive my tax return nor tin no. Right now I am out of country for a month. So is there anyway I can check my status or call them up. Please help me in this regard.
The IRS just started this year the process where you have to file the tax return at the same time as when you apply for an ITIN for spouses and dependents. What I have found is happening (to people who filed much earlier) is that the office that assigns numbers has been taking 2 to 3 months to assign the numbers. After that, the return processing service center gets the return, and from that point it will take about 4 to 5 weeks to get a refund, if one is showing on the return.

You might try calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and getting someone to look-up where your return is in the process, and to ensure there are no problems. However, if everything is "on schedule", then the best they might be able to say is that the tax return is "in process." You can also possibly check the status at https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/e...fgetstatus.jsp , but there will be no information there if you are still waiting on the ITIN number to be assigned.

This is sadly one of those cases where the US IRS does not move very quickly.

Bryan
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

raandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Questions

Thanks a lot Bryan!!

I hope its on the way I will try to check the status.

Originally Posted by Bryan Kellar
The IRS just started this year the process where you have to file the tax return at the same time as when you apply for an ITIN for spouses and dependents. What I have found is happening (to people who filed much earlier) is that the office that assigns numbers has been taking 2 to 3 months to assign the numbers. After that, the return processing service center gets the return, and from that point it will take about 4 to 5 weeks to get a refund, if one is showing on the return.

You might try calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and getting someone to look-up where your return is in the process, and to ensure there are no problems. However, if everything is "on schedule", then the best they might be able to say is that the tax return is "in process." You can also possibly check the status at https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/e...fgetstatus.jsp , but there will be no information there if you are still waiting on the ITIN number to be assigned.

This is sadly one of those cases where the US IRS does not move very quickly.

Bryan