Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax question

Wikiposts

Tax question

Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
So if we're about to apply for our Green Card it is O.K. for me concurrently to apply for EADs for the children - once you have got one of these EADs how long does it last - especially the younger child isn't anywhere near needing to work
I don't really know the details of AOS from L1/2, would depend where in the process you are I suppose.

EAD can be valid for 2 years, though they usually issue them for a year and you'd have to renew them each year, for a hefty fee.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reminding me to check the expiry date of my own EAD. Coming up to the time I applied for it right now so if it's a 1 year I am going to be in trouble!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Does anyone know if my two children need social security numbers for us to claim for them as independents on my husband's tax form? They are 14 and 11 by the way.

Thank for any help
No, they do not need Social Security numbers to be claimed as dependents on your joint income tax return.

If the children are not eligible for SSNs (they are not), you complete a form W-7 Application for an ITIN and include it with the tax return. The kids will be assigned a 9 digit number that looks like a SS# to use only for tax reporting purposes.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

If and when you submit I-485, the application for a work permit can be included. Having the work permit ("EAD" or Employment Authorization Document) or Green Card does make them eligible for a SS#, and you'd apply for one at that time.
The EAD cost is now included in the fee you must submit with the I-485.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Which is good for you, because I just found out the the EAD costs $340 a time. I'm sure it wasn't this much last year!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
No, they do not need Social Security numbers to be claimed as dependents on your joint income tax return.

If the children are not eligible for SSNs (they are not), you complete a form W-7 Application for an ITIN and include it with the tax return. The kids will be assigned a 9 digit number that looks like a SS# to use only for tax reporting purposes.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

If and when you submit I-485, the application for a work permit can be included. Having the work permit ("EAD" or Employment Authorization Document) or Green Card does make them eligible for a SS#, and you'd apply for one at that time.
The EAD cost is now included in the fee you must submit with the I-485.
Can you apply separately for the EAD or does it have to go with the Green Card application - I'm just thinking that the work permit does not take as long to come through as the Green Card application - or would it come back independent of the Green Card application being processed if they were sent together? Am I making sense?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Can you apply separately for the EAD or does it have to go with the Green Card application - I'm just thinking that the work permit does not take as long to come through as the Green Card application - or would it come back independent of the Green Card application being processed if they were sent together? Am I making sense?
The work permit takes 90 days to get, based on past performance (and they have a legal mandate to fill your order in that much time).

The EAD is an interim benefit--it is meant to tide you over between application and approval of the Adjustment of Status/Green Card.
Green Card processing can take 3-30 months, depending on your local office and how long you get stuck in a name check. Some people need to use EAD for a couple of years while waiting for their case to complete.

Since it is a temporary permit, it must be sent with the application for Permanent Residence (Green Card). That is your basis for eligibility.. IOW, Joe Bloggs can not just apply for a work permit, he needs one of a very limited few reasons (like applying for a Green Card or being on a visa that allows it).
er.. that's getting a little muddled, sorry.

Short form:
I-485 + I-131 are submitted together.
The I-131 requires the I-485.
The I-131 takes about 90 days to approve and get to you.
The I-485 takes about 4-9 months on average to complete.
The fee for the I-131 is already paid with the I-485, may as well take it.

Hope I got it clear!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Having an L2 is a basis for eligibility.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Having an L2 is a basis for eligibility.
For the spouse, not the kids, right?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For the spouse, not the kids, right?
I mentioned that earlier
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Which is good for you, because I just found out the the EAD costs $340 a time. I'm sure it wasn't this much last year!
It went up over the summer, by a lot.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Bob
I mentioned that earlier
Bonus cuddles for you then, dads.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Would you mind just clarifying what the I-185 and I-131 forms are? Would it be possible for my son and myself to submit EAD applications at the same time as applying for the Green Card (thereby saving the cost) or am I expected to submit mine separately as I am eligible to work as an L2 spouse?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:20 am

Would you mind just clarifying what the I-185 and I-131 forms are? Would it be possible for my son and myself to submit EAD applications at the same time as applying for the Green Card (thereby saving the cost) or am I expected to submit mine separately as I am eligible to work as an L2 spouse?
Sure, the form names simply make it clearer (hopefully).

I-485 is the application to adjust status to permanent residency. Approval of that is what makes you a Permanent Resident. A Green Card is your proof of Permanent Resident status. Got it?
All of the above is called an 'AOS' application, or Green Card application. The more precise you are, the better information you'll get, so it is worth learning the finer points.
When the I-485 is approved, and you are a Permanent Resident, with a Green Card (all synonymous) you are authorized to live & work in the US, and travel in/out of the US.

When you submit I-485 and all its other attachments, you can apply for interim travel and work documents that are only valid until the AOS/I-485 is approved. You use them UNTIL you get a Green Card.

I-131 is the application for an 'EAD' aka Employment Authorization Document aka work permit.

YOU as a spouse L-2 may apply for a work permit just based on being a spouse L-2. There is a fee for this. You should only apply if you plan to work before you get your Green Card.

Your child may NOT apply for an EAD based on being a child L-2.

When the time comes and you are allowed to apply for your Green Cards, you can BOTH apply for an EAD based on the I-485.
Your earlier application is based on the L-2, remember.
When you see form I-131, you'll see where all these different kinds of people use the same form.. you have to tick the correct box for your 'basis' to apply.

To sum up:
You: apply I-131 now for a fee--optional/basis L-2 spouse
You: apply I-131 with I-485 for no fee/basis Adjustment applicant
Child: apply I-131 with I-485 for no fee AND becomes eligible for SSN when he receives EAD.
You can get a SSN now because you are a spouse L-2.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Sure, the form names simply make it clearer (hopefully).

I-485 is the application to adjust status to permanent residency. Approval of that is what makes you a Permanent Resident. A Green Card is your proof of Permanent Resident status. Got it?
All of the above is called an 'AOS' application, or Green Card application. The more precise you are, the better information you'll get, so it is worth learning the finer points.
When the I-485 is approved, and you are a Permanent Resident, with a Green Card (all synonymous) you are authorized to live & work in the US, and travel in/out of the US.

When you submit I-485 and all its other attachments, you can apply for interim travel and work documents that are only valid until the AOS/I-485 is approved. You use them UNTIL you get a Green Card.

I-131 is the application for an 'EAD' aka Employment Authorization Document aka work permit.

YOU as a spouse L-2 may apply for a work permit just based on being a spouse L-2. There is a fee for this. You should only apply if you plan to work before you get your Green Card.

Your child may NOT apply for an EAD based on being a child L-2.

When the time comes and you are allowed to apply for your Green Cards, you can BOTH apply for an EAD based on the I-485.
Your earlier application is based on the L-2, remember.
When you see form I-131, you'll see where all these different kinds of people use the same form.. you have to tick the correct box for your 'basis' to apply.

To sum up:
You: apply I-131 now for a fee--optional/basis L-2 spouse
You: apply I-131 with I-485 for no fee/basis Adjustment applicant
Child: apply I-131 with I-485 for no fee AND becomes eligible for SSN when he receives EAD.
You can get a SSN now because you are a spouse L-2.
Thank you. You have no idea what a help you've been.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:40 pm

Thank you. You have no idea what a help you've been.
Well thank goodness for that.. it looked a little boring!

I meant to add this. This is a guide for family-based AOS (you will be employment based and someone will hopefully do this for you)
http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...-of-status.php

The I-130 does not apply to you, but this will give you links to the forms and such (always available at uscis.gov) that you will want. Maybe looking at them will help, maybe not!

Here are some links that are helpful for looking ahead to Permanent Resident status.. I don't know how far off you are from applying for the Green Cards.

The following USCIS pages are must reads for all new immigrants:

--o Now That You Are A Permanent Resident
--o I Am A Permanent Resident, How Do I...?
--o Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants

That last one is useful for a lot of people, not just PRs. There is a good website linked in there too, to help with day to day practical stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.