Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax question

Tax question

Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all
Default Tax question

Hi,

Does anyone know if my two children need social security numbers for us to claim for them as independents on my husband's tax form? They are 14 and 11 by the way.

Thank for any help
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:24 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Hi,

Does anyone know if my two children need social security numbers for us to claim for them as independents on my husband's tax form? They are 14 and 11 by the way.

Thank for any help
They will need either a ss# (if they are entitled to one) or otherwise an ITIN (individual tax identification number).

We were told that you have to apply for the ITIN when you file your taxes. Last year we had an accountant do our taxes and she sorted out the ITINs.

When we became entitled to an SS# we took all the neccessary documents to our local SS office and the numbers arrived in the post within 10 days.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jumping doris
They will need either a ss# (if they are entitled to one) or otherwise an ITIN (individual tax identification number).

We were told that you have to apply for the ITIN when you file your taxes. Last year we had an accountant do our taxes and she sorted out the ITINs.

When we became entitled to an SS# we took all the neccessary documents to our local SS office and the numbers arrived in the post within 10 days.
Thanks for replying so promptly. When do the kids become eligible for a social security number?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:43 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying so promptly. When do the kids become eligible for a social security number?
Do you have green cards or are you citizens?
Are you here on visas?

That will determine your eligibility.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Do you have green cards or are you citizens?
Are you here on visas?

That will determine your eligibility.
We're here on visas - kids are on L2s. According to the lady from the Social Security the children can only apply for SSNs when they have authority to work from Homeland Security but I don't really understand when they get this - is it when they get their Green Cards?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

They would have to apply for EADs (authorisation to work) but I don't know what the deal is with how old they have to be to do that with labor laws etc.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:06 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
They would have to apply for EADs (authorisation to work) but I don't know what the deal is with how old they have to be to do that with labor laws etc.
My youngest is 12 and she had an EAD. I don't know if there is a minimum age.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:09 pm
Who?

We're here on visas - kids are on L2s. According to the lady from the Social Security the children can only apply for SSNs when they have authority to work from Homeland Security but I don't really understand when they get this - is it when they get their Green Cards?
Our immigration lawyers did everything so I can only give you the idiot version.

Our EAD's were applied for as part of the green card process but I think if you are on an L type visa you are eligible for work authorisation before you even begin the GC stuff.
We weren't on L visas so I really don't know.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
kids aren't allowed to get an EAD, so they can't work...so no ssn
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Our EAD's were applied for as part of the green card process but I think if you are on an L type visa you are eligible for work authorisation before you even begin the GC stuff.
We weren't on L visas so I really don't know.
Spouse is, kids aren't.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Spouse is, kids aren't.
Kids can file for EAD concurrently with AOS application.

Probably a long way off...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira

aye, with an AOS, but not just on having an L2, like a spouse could, I probably should have been a bit clearer
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira

Whats an AOS application?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Whats an AOS application?
Adjustment of Status....from the L1/2 to getting the actual greencard.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Adjustment of Status....from the L1/2 to getting the actual greencard.
So if we're about to apply for our Green Card it is O.K. for me concurrently to apply for EADs for the children - once you have got one of these EADs how long does it last - especially the younger child isn't anywhere near needing to work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.