Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax Prep first time - Schaumburg

Tax Prep first time - Schaumburg

Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of
Default Tax Prep first time - Schaumburg

Hi All,

Can any of you guys in the Schaumburg area (I know there are a few) recommend where to go for tax prep for first year filling? I was going to have a go myself but what with my wife not working for the US office (and therefore not being paid by the US office) until March when she accepted a position here and then getting a cheque for relocation expenses which I don't think shows up on her W-2 we really could do with some expert advice. Then there's our savings from England that we transfered.

Completely lost..

Last edited by ScottMc; Feb 9th 2008 at 3:06 am.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Prep first time - Schaumburg

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Hi All,

Can any of you guys in the Schaumburg area (I know there are a few) recommend where to go for tax prep for first year filling? I was going to have a go myself but what with my wife not working for the US office (and therefore not being paid by the US office) until March when she accepted a position here and then getting a cheque for relocation expenses which I don't think shows up on her W-2 we really could do with some expert advice. Then there's our savings from England that we transfered.

Completely lost..
I seem to be the advertising service for these folks today I just got some advise from a small outfit in Schaumburg - a friend I respect highly has used them for years. I was quite happy with them.

<<removed>>

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 9th 2008 at 5:44 pm. Reason: Advertising. Please send this information by PM to the OP. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:30 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Completely lost..
I used H&R Block the first year I was here. I know they get a lot of stick on here, but the whole process is so simple anyway.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

By the way - recommending something is not advertising ffs - stop moderating stuff if you don't even understand the rules yourself.
If you want to remain consistent then go back and kindly remove all the xetrade threads from the site.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Nice one guys. I'll get prepared and start sorting next week then.

Like you said BigDavyG it looks reasonably simple, just have a few of the first year little complications and want to start off right. If it wasn't for those few things I'd do it myself but at least if I go somewhere with some sort of guarantee they get it in the neck rather than me if they screw it up and I've given them all the info.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:24 pm
Thinking about it

Nice one guys. I'll get prepared and start sorting next week then.

Like you said BigDavyG it looks reasonably simple, just have a few of the first year little complications and want to start off right. If it wasn't for those few things I'd do it myself but at least if I go somewhere with some sort of guarantee they get it in the neck rather than me if they screw it up and I've given them all the info.
Yep - exactly what I did and h&r block did the trick.
If you review it and have a fair idea yourself before you go then even better.

Good luck
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
By the way - recommending something is not advertising ffs - stop moderating stuff if you don't even understand the rules yourself.
If you want to remain consistent then go back and kindly remove all the xetrade threads from the site.
I haven't seen you report any posts on xetrade.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:00 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I haven't seen you report any posts on xetrade.
"Advertising" is "advertising" whether it is reported or not surely, or do rules only get enforced after a report to a mod ??
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, people recommend immigration attorneys frequently on the forum, and other businesses. So I didn't see why I couldn't recommend an accountant, since a recommendation was requested. I have no connection to them, other than having used them once.

But whatever - I sent a pm to the OP as directed. Anyone else wants the name, please pm me.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:48 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Surely it's the same as recommending a DVD player, or a grocery store with English goods.. surely recommendations are exactly what this site thrives/lives on? Isn't that why we are all on here? Chatting about the things we do/use and how good they are?...
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

personally I think the moderators are being a little keen... however the rules of the site are open to interpretation and thats their job...

the definition of advertising definitely points towards benefit to the poster of the advert... recommendations whilst achieving a similar result are NOT beneficial to the poster but to the reader.

if we can't use this site to recommend ... well... we do, all of us in various ways.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
personally I think the moderators are being a little keen... however the rules of the site are open to interpretation and thats their job...

the definition of advertising definitely points towards benefit to the poster of the advert... recommendations whilst achieving a similar result are NOT beneficial to the poster but to the reader.

if we can't use this site to recommend ... well... we do, all of us in various ways.
I agree with that, but it's getting a bit off topic now, and as the rules say, disputes within pm's please, so closing the thread....more for my own sanity and to feed my meglomania.