Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax on house sale in the UK ?

Tax on house sale in the UK ?

Old Apr 4th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax on house sale in the UK ?

Hi

I am sure I remember reading on one of the IRS sites that unless you have been living in a UK residence as your primary home for 3 of the last 5 years the profit made on the sale of the property becomes taxable when transferring the money to the US.

I really need the details of this and I cant find the site/pages again.

Can anyone help please?
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

GlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Tax on house sale in the UK ?

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Hi

I am sure I remember reading on one of the IRS sites that unless you have been living in a UK residence as your primary home for 3 of the last 5 years the profit made on the sale of the property becomes taxable when transferring the money to the US.

Can anyone help please?
The enternal question - is UK income liable to US taxation? I'd love to help but this confuses the funk out of me too.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GlasgowBoy
The enternal question - is UK income liable to US taxation? I'd love to help but this confuses the funk out of me too.
Yes

Assuming you are resident for IRS purposes.

Or a Citizen.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

GlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yes

Assuming you are resident for IRS purposes.

Or a Citizen.
But isn't their a reciprocal agreement saying you don't have to pay tax in both countries? I might have imagined that.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't their a reciprocal agreement saying you don't have to pay tax in both countries? I might have imagined that.

1-800-829-1040

Call the IRS
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

That does not make it not liable to taxation, it may reduce the amount of the taxation.

I believe the OP's description of the US CGT situation is basically correct, the UK CGT basis is different.

So you can have tax payable in the UK and not the US, vice versa, a bit of both and neither. All depends.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Hi

Can anyone help please?
Don't I recall a post from you a few months ago saying that you were moving to Qatar?
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Get a dodgy UK lawyer to deal with the house sale and bring the dosh over as travellers cheques but spread about various US bank accounts and dont deposit more than $9.999.

or so I'm told
Old Apr 5th 2006, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rushman
Get a dodgy UK lawyer to deal with the house sale and bring the dosh over as travellers cheques but spread about various US bank accounts and dont deposit more than $9.999.

or so I'm told
I can not see why that would be needed, you could have received the money with no tax consequences in a variety of ways, or earnt it in the UK.

The$10k is a money laundering thing.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 12:31 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I know all about the tax implications of selling your home in the UK. It all depends on whether....

...oh bollocks to it! Can't anyone be arsed to use the frikkin' search function on this site?

Well I can't be arsed to type all that crap again. Sorry.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 12:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Well I can't be arsed to type all that crap again. Sorry.
hehe

well now they know who to search the post by
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
hehe

well now they know who to search the post by

These things need a Wiki! Any idea if Paul's moving on it?
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
That is a neat idea.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:26 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Will this do....

Uhh..
Wicki-wild wild
Wicki-wicki-wild
Wicki-wild
Wicki-wicki Wild Wild West
Jim West, desperado
Rough rider, no you don't want nada
None of this, six-gunnin this, brother runnin this
Buffalo soldier, look it's like I told ya
Any damsel that's in distress
be outta that dress when she meet Jim West
Rough neck so go check the law and abide
Watch your step or flex and get a hole in your side
Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react
You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at
With Artemis, from the start of this, runnin the game
James West, tamin the West, so remember the name
Now who ya gonna call?
Not the G.B.s
Now who you gonna call?
G double A.G.

If you ever riff with either one of us
BREAK OUT, before you get bumrushed, at the

The Wild Wild West (when I roll into the)
The Wild Wild West (when I stroll into the)
The Wild Wild West (when I bounce into the)
The Wild Wild West (sisqo, sisqo)

The Wild Wild West (we're goin straight, to)
The Wild Wild West (the Wild Wild West)
The Wild Wild West (we're goin straight to the Wild Wild c'mon)

The Wild Wild West

Wick wild wild wild
Wickedy wild wild
Wickedy wick wild wild wild
Wickedy wickedy Wickedy Wickedy
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No idea...problems with them seem to be integrating them into the forum I think, so that only members can edit it, perhaps members with a set amount of posts to stop spammers....until then, basically if there's something that can be added to the finance faq, give me a shout and I'll past it in as I've been doing to the ME faq's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.