Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax help please! Dual-status question

Wikiposts

Tax help please! Dual-status question

Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:30 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax help please! Dual-status question

Originally Posted by khem180
That was going to be my next question! Excellent stuff - no, it certainly wasn't more than that... We did fill in our NRL1 in time too, so there shouldn't be any tax to pay on the rent we receive for our UK property. Is that right?
So, on the extension application form, do we just put the figures from my husband's W2 & not include anything else from before we moved to the States in September?
The NRL1 allows you to receive your rent gross in the UK, it does not mean that you will not pay UK (or US) tax on the profit.

To stop overseas landlords making profit on renting UK property and not paying any UK tax, the tax man requires either the letting agent or the tenants themselves to deduct tax and pay it to them. The NRL1 is a permission for the landlord to receive the rent gross and is given to overseas landlords that they trust to pay the tax - if you don't pay, the NRL1 is revoked.

Basically your rental income, minus applicable costs (mortgage interest, agents fees, insurance, corgi, wear & tear etc) gives you your profit. If this is less than the UK personal allowance of circa GBP7K (and you have no other income using up the personal allowance) then you are paying no UK income tax on the rent. If it is above the personal allowance you pay the marginal amount.

The trouble comes in the US (assuming you are earning an income above the US personal allowance), the profit from the UK property letting is added to your income and is taxed at your marginal rate on the whole of the profit (but note that the allowances in the US are more generous, inc depreciation). If you did pay any tax in the UK this amount is deductible.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:19 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
The NRL1 allows you to receive your rent gross in the UK, it does not mean that you will not pay UK (or US) tax on the profit.

To stop overseas landlords making profit on renting UK property and not paying any UK tax, the tax man requires either the letting agent or the tenants themselves to deduct tax and pay it to them. The NRL1 is a permission for the landlord to receive the rent gross and is given to overseas landlords that they trust to pay the tax - if you don't pay, the NRL1 is revoked.

Basically your rental income, minus applicable costs (mortgage interest, agents fees, insurance, corgi, wear & tear etc) gives you your profit. If this is less than the UK personal allowance of circa GBP7K (and you have no other income using up the personal allowance) then you are paying no UK income tax on the rent. If it is above the personal allowance you pay the marginal amount.

The trouble comes in the US (assuming you are earning an income above the US personal allowance), the profit from the UK property letting is added to your income and is taxed at your marginal rate on the whole of the profit (but note that the allowances in the US are more generous, inc depreciation). If you did pay any tax in the UK this amount is deductible.
Isn't this board great? Top quality advice!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

khem180 is just really nicekhem180 is just really nicekhem180 is just really nicekhem180 is just really nicekhem180 is just really nicekhem180 is just really nicekhem180 is just really nicekhem180 is just really nice

Absolutely - thank you for such thorough responses. The whole rental-income thing has now opened a new can of worms though, so I'm as confused as ever (not because of the explanation above, I'm just reaching information overload right now!) - at least if I file for an extension I'll have more time to work it all out!
I'm pretty sure we don't make much (if any) profit on our rental income. I know we were approved for non-resident landlord status, but if the amount we make make is less than the allowance, do we still have to fill in a UK tax return? Is this something we have to do off our own back, or will HMRC send us a return sometime this month regardless?
Aaargh! Why is it so complicated?! I'm tempted to file dual-status now, so we don't have to bother with any of this. If we can't file jointly though, is that any better than just filing as non-residents? Back to square one!!
Can anyone who's been in a similar situation tell me whether they were definitely better off filing as residents (first year choice - particularly H1B/H4)?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by khem180
Can anyone who's been in a similar situation tell me whether they were definitely better off filing as residents (first year choice - particularly H1B/H4)?
I can't swear to it, but if I recall correctly I ran the numbers both ways (dual-status or non-resident) and it was best to be resident for the portion of the year that we were here (i.e. dual-status). Looking at what I can find now, it could be because as a non-resident, you can't claim an exemption for your spouse, so being resident would allow you to deduct an extra $3,650 from your income before calculating tax.

I imagine that if you had significant non US-sourced income after your arrival in the US, it could work out better to be non-resident, as non-residents only pay tax on US-sourced income.

I didn't run the numbers on opting to be treated as resident for the entire year, as I wasn't aware of the foreign earned income exemption so didn't want to be dual-taxed on my UK income. The only advantage I can see for doing it this way would be the ability to file as married filing jointly. Also, I'm not clear from my reading that you could opt to be treated this way.