Reload this Page >

confused about filling income tax returns

confused about filling income tax returns

Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:31 am
Just Joined

samantha02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question confused about filling income tax returns

Hello,

I'm a green card holder since July 2009, and I am temporarly staying outside of the US - I have a re-entry permit - to finish my educational program...

I am basically a student, but I do work as a part-time teacher. This is the first time I will be filling my income tax returns. I know the deadline is April 14, but I get a 2 months extension since I am filling from outside the US.

I am quite confused about what forms to fill in and how?!!

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:21 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confused about filling income tax returns

Originally Posted by samantha02
Hello,

I'm a green card holder since July 2009, and I am temporarly staying outside of the US - I have a re-entry permit - to finish my educational program...

I am basically a student, but I do work as a part-time teacher. This is the first time I will be filling my income tax returns. I know the deadline is April 14, but I get a 2 months extension since I am filling from outside the US.

Thanks for your help!
If you go to http://www.taxact.com/taxes-online/ you can file online for free, and it will guide you with a Q&A.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samantha02
Hello,

Thanks for your help!
You don't say where you are, but if you are in the UK, the US embassy in London has an IRS section which I've heard is very helpful to people exactly in your situation.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nettlebed
If you go to http://www.taxact.com/taxes-online/ you can file online for free, and it will guide you with a Q&A.
Unfortunately, it sounds as though the OP might be treated as a dual status alien for tax purposes, so they will need more guidance than will likely be available for free from that site.

If you become a GC holder part way through the tax year, in this case July 2009, you are treated as a so called dual status alien since you were a non-resident alien up to that date, and a 'resident' alien afterwards. For tax purposes I believe you are treated as a resident alien irrespective of your physical location once you become a permanent resident. There are a number of restrictions on how you can calculate your taxes as a dual status alien, which are described in chapter 6 of Publication 519 from the IRS. I would recommend the OP download this and read chapters 1 and 6 to start with. There may be an exception if they are married to a GC holder or US citizen who still resides in the US.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You don't say where you are, but if you are in the UK, the US embassy in London has an IRS section which I've heard is very helpful to people exactly in your situation.
I believe most of the larger embassies have this features. I would strongly recommend a visit if the OP has to file as dual status alien.

Edited to say : if the OP was already resident in the US for prior to receiving their green card, they may not end up being dual status depending on how long they were resident. Chapter 1 of pub 519 will give more details as to how to determine this.

Last edited by newXgate; Apr 5th 2010 at 4:19 pm.