Tax Help

Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Geezer041 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Help

Please help me!!!!
I am a british citizen, officially granted my green card feb 2005.
My wife is american.
We lived in London the whole of 2004.
We worked jan through october then emmigrated to the USA in December.
Must my wife(we) file a tax return in the USA? If so which forms do we need?
We paid ALL our taxes in the UK but claimed back our overpaid tax in the UK before we left (april 2004 - april 2005)
If we must file do we submit earnings from 1 jan 2004 to 31 dec 2004 only or can i just use my YTD earning from my payslips?
Can i claim any moving costs?
Whats the best way to convert the currency for tax form?
We earned no money in the USA at all?
Will we be entitled to some sort of refun or be taxed again on our earnings in the UK?

I hope someone can help, i am very confused. It was so easy back home.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Help

Originally Posted by Geezer041
Please help me!!!!
My wife is american.
We paid ALL our taxes in the UK but claimed back our overpaid tax in the UK before we left (april 2004 - april 2005)
If we must file do we submit earnings from 1 jan 2004 to 31 dec 2004 only or can i just use my YTD earning from my payslips?
Will we be entitled to some sort of refun or be taxed again on our earnings in the UK?

no matter where your wife was in the world, she needs to file a US tax return.
(providing she earns X dollars.)
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:05 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
no matter where your wife was in the world, she needs to file a US tax return.
(providing she earns X dollars.)
Yep. My green card was delayed because she never filed a tax return for a year in which we lived in the UK. We had to hurredly file a late one.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:06 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Just did my taxes during my lunch hour and I owe $5K in addition to what I've already paid. There goes that 40" LCD TV I've had my eye on.......... great farting arses!!!!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tomelina
Just did my taxes during my lunch hour and I owe $5K in addition to what I've already paid. There goes that 40" LCD TV I've had my eye on.......... great farting arses!!!!
How did you do it? E-file? Do I just fill out a 1040?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:10 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

How did you do it? E-file? Do I just fill out a 1040?
You can do either I guess
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

where do i declare foreign income and tax reclaimed (not benefits)?
Can the cost shipping my crap and flights etc when we moved be claimed?

Why did i leave it to the last minute?
Why is the irs such a pain in the arse?

Last edited by Geezer041; Apr 13th 2005 at 8:14 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:23 pm
Banned

where do i declare foreign income and tax reclaimed (not benefits)?
Can the cost shipping my crap and flights etc when we moved be claimed?

Sorry mate. I'm not an expert.......... otherwise I'd figure out a way to get some deductions so I don't have to pay the bastards
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Please help me!!!!
My wife is american.

If your wife is American, she surely must have filed US taxes before. As someone else mentioned, all American citizens must file a tax return regardless of where they live (there are a few exceptions).

The tax deadline is approaching so if I were in your situation, I would approach a tax advisor but make sure that the person/company has experience of handling returns including overseas income, before allowing him/her to process the return(s).

NC Penguin
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Go to your local library and pick up all the forms that you think might relate to your situation (hopefully there's lots of forms left).

Otherwise, go to the IRS website for further information.

Millions of Americans have to deal with their tax returns every year so you'd better get used to it...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Go to your local library and pick up all the forms that you think might relate to your situation (hopefully there's lots of forms left).

Otherwise, go to the IRS website for further information.

Millions of Americans have to deal with their tax returns every year so you'd better get used to it...

NC Penguin
Was the last line really necessary? Some people just hate doing this kind of stuff.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

You can file an extension....not sure of the form, but there are some very helpful people on this forum that can probably tell you. I wouldn't bother going to some place like H&R Block, they're pretty useless. I did our taxes a few months ago and used e-file, it was pretty easy.

I've decided that trying to claim moving expenses was going to be pain. I believe it can only be done if you're moving over for work....again I stand to be corrected on this.

Also, if you didn't make (I'm assuming collectively) over $80,000 for the whole year you can be exempt. Its very easy and you just fill out form 2555. Not sure when in December you came over, but it probably won't make a difference and you certainly won't get a refund back.

Above all don't get worried, more than likely you don't owe anything and it will be very simple to fill out the forms.

Good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

I've decided that trying to claim moving expenses was going to be pain. I believe it can only be done if you're moving over for work....again I stand to be corrected on this. .
its very easy to claim - i did

BUT

asyou say, you have to be moving for work
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
its very easy to claim - i did

BUT

asyou say, you have to be moving for work
So i was moving to emmigrate and willingly left my job then obtained a job when i arrived in the US. I guess that would not count?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:54 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, feel for you man. Did that $5k come with a penalty?

I just filed my quarterly payment today as I work freelance and my tax expert shaved about $1k off of what I'd put by in savings to pay.

I'd find a good tax professional that can find every deduction you can get. I even got a deduction for my EAD fees as a business expense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.