Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax breaks for new entrants?

Tax breaks for new entrants?

Old May 7th 2004, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax breaks for new entrants?

Hi there
someone mentioned to me the other day that new entrants into the US with a working status get a tax break in their first year and pay only 6/7 %... is this true? if so does anyone know where I might find the official info?
Old May 7th 2004, 4:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If true let me know,
I'll be calling H&R Block for my money back
Old May 7th 2004, 4:59 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tax breaks for new entrants?

Originally posted by USBound
Hi there
someone mentioned to me the other day that new entrants into the US with a working status get a tax break in their first year and pay only 6/7 %... is this true? if so does anyone know where I might find the official info?

too good to be true.

with tax loopholes, anything is possible. i'll follow it up with E & Y during my next consultation.
Old May 7th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jan in Arizona is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by USBound
Hi there

We came over last August and my husband got more tax back than he has paid in - we were able to claim for the moving expenses etc - and we got it paid into our Bank account within 2 weeks of filing the forms! We paid $100 to a company who had a desk in Walmart for a while to help us with the fomrs and it was well worth paying !
Old May 7th 2004, 6:04 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

not a tax break like you say per se, BUT you can claim moving expenses if you moved to the us for a work related issue

things you can claim on your return

flight to the usa
shipping/storage of belongings
etc

check out www.irs.gov
Old May 7th 2004, 6:04 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

not a tax break like you say per se, BUT you can claim moving expenses if you moved to the us for a work related issue

flight to the usa
etc

check out www.irs.gov
Old May 7th 2004, 8:31 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by BritGuyTN

flight to the usa
etc

check out www.irs.gov

you still pay the social security and medicare tax for relocation expenses.
Old May 7th 2004, 9:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jan in Arizona
We came over last August and my husband got more tax back than he has paid in - ....
huh? You mean the IRS paid you more than you paid them? Doesn't seem possible. I know you can get a huge tax break on relocation expenses, etc., but I'd have thought the most you'd get back is the amount you paid.
Old May 7th 2004, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jan in Arizona is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dunroving
huh? You mean the IRS paid you more than you paid them? Doesn't seem possible. I know you can get a huge tax break on relocation expenses, etc., but I'd have thought the most you'd get back is the amount you paid.
Nope - my husband got back about double what he paid and we probably didn't claim for everything we could as we hadn't kept receipts for everything, not realising we could claim for so much. We claimed for our air fares and the shipping of our goods over and I think the hotel bill when we first got here. We weren't allowed the tax break that everyone seems to get for their kids for some reason but we still ended up (for once in our life) better off! And we were really impressed at how quickly they paid it directly into our bank account - my husband never has had a tax rebate in the UK - he always seems to owe them something!
Old May 7th 2004, 11:24 pm
Mr. Grumpy

thats the same kind of positive experience i had with the IRS - i did mine online and it cost 10-15 bucks - refund in a couple of weeks

unfortunately it didn't quite come near to paying my federal tax bill!