Tax advice please

Tax advice please

Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:46 am
R_S
Just Joined

R_S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax advice please

Hi everyone

We're new to this BE.com and looking to move back to the UK. Am wondering please if anyone has been in a similar situation to us and maybe could offer some advice or recommend reputable firm to contact Lawyer/Tax agent/accountant to discuss this with?

My husband owns a flat in the UK and we own our own home here in NZ, what if any tax would we have to pay to sell our house in NZ and his flat to buy a place back in the UK? Don't know where to start so any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:41 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax advice please

If I may be so bold as to suggest, you don't need a tax advisor because your affairs seem to be quite simple and there is a dual tax agreement between UK and NZ. I assume you've been away for a while.

I resume that your home in NZ is your main residence and so when you sell it you will not be liable to CGT in NZ and you will not be subject to CGT in the UK. If you rented out your house in the UK then you may be liable for tax on the income, but if your husband is British then he will get the tax free allowance. You will be liable to CGT on the flat if you sell it simultaneously but possibly not if you live in it for a while as your main residence.

I know a bit about tax but find the UK Revenue to be very helpful and approachable.

You can get them on www.HMRC.gov.uk.

If you want to talk to them now then there is an overseas section which can be easily tracked down.

Although it is a bit of a slog, I've attached the rules on residency for tax purposes but if your case is as simple as it suggests then I don't think you have cause for worrying.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/hmrc6.pdf

Last edited by Bijilo123; Dec 6th 2009 at 6:43 am. Reason: oops! - selling both flats at the same time creates a CGT liability
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:40 pm
R_S
Just Joined

R_S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax advice please

Thank you very much, you're reply is very helpful!