Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TAX ADVICE; Kinda complicated

TAX ADVICE; Kinda complicated

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Red face Re: TAX ADVICE; Kinda complicated

Originally Posted by Steve_
He's clearly not resident in the US and he's got to be resident somewhere. Working in a war zone simply makes you more resident in your tax home country (because you're exempt from paying taxes in the country where the war is) and that isn't the US in his case.

I haven't read all through the thread but it looks as though he's been doing this for some time.

There's a three year cut off for filing amended returns, so all the money to the IRS before that is gone. He could file a 1040X for the last three years and get his money back and use that to pay off the tax bill wherever he is resident, but he would still owe the prior years and the penalties in the country where he resides.

Plus if he does that, the IRS may sanction his employer for withholding when they shouldn't have done, plus the tax authorities where he resides may also sanction his employer for not doing withholding.

Honestly it looks to me as though someone at the Austin Service Center took pity on him and decided to hit him with NRA withholding so that he would sort out his mess, because the IRS don't care if you pay them money you don't owe them.

And finally, if all that isn't bad enough, you can't just sort it out now and hope no-one notices what happened previously because they will notice because of the information sharing agreement the IRS probably has and they already have noticed.
Your profile discription is an understatment.

I nearly deleted all my posts and discontinued feeding the updates on here, because of you.
I welcome advice, but kindly keep your self-opinions to yourself, if they are of no use - other than to fragment what was a coming together of minds.

You are not the IRS, so don't tell me what is going to happen, because the opposite of your thoughts (too many to list) is actually occuring.

I was granted a filing extension by the IRS - Combat Zone (all done through my advisor), so ALL my refund years ARE being processed, contrary to your official opinion of (3) year cut-off.

I don't domicile in the U.S anymore, and I'm not classed as a resident of Spain yet - because I'm not in the Country for the required collective # of days per year (as yet).

I've even been given money back interest ontop of my 2009 refund recently because they've (IRS) had the amount for so long.
So.., how will I be getting penalities, inFACT I am getting plus-ups..?!

A lot of my fortune is down to the a) way in which my advisor presented my multiple packets b) the order in which he did a)

Not everything in life is black or white, sometimes there is a gray bit in the middle.

Welcome to the gray area (me)

I am employed because of my skill sets in this arena, none of which I will discuss, but so far as to say that I am worth the extra effort on my Companies behalf.

DSB.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 5:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAX ADVICE; Kinda complicated

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
I nearly deleted all my posts and discontinued feeding the updates on here, because of you.
I welcome advice, but kindly keep your self-opinions to yourself, if they are of no use - other than to fragment what was a coming together of minds.
My opinion is my opinion, not my opinion based on what other people have said. How many of the other people in this thread have filed a 1040NR themselves I wonder. You're non-resident, so am I, I don't think any of them are, I might know something about it, having done it myself.

You are not the IRS, so don't tell me what is going to happen, because the opposite of your thoughts (too many to list) is actually occuring.
Fair point but I've dealt with the IRS enough to have an idea how they think, basically all tax authorities work things out in their favour so they get the money until proven otherwise.

I was granted a filing extension by the IRS - Combat Zone (all done through my advisor), so ALL my refund years ARE being processed, contrary to your official opinion of (3) year cut-off.
I wasn't really talking about the IRS except in relation to getting your money back, I was talking about where you are actually resident for tax purposes. You aren't resident in the US, you're resident somewhere else. Generally speaking if you are overseas on some sort of official duty e.g. you work for the UN, you're in the Army etc. you don't pay say, Afghanistan's taxes, you pay the taxes where you are resident. So you are paying the full whack on what your income is, there's no foreign tax credit.

The point I was making is that your problem isn't the IRS and the NRA withholding, it seems to me they did you a favour because it made you think about your tax situation. The problem is you owe taxes wherever you reside. (And the IRS rule on 3 years is in the law, read the instructions for 1040X for example, maybe there is some way they can go back and refund prior to that but it's the first I've heard of it, the filing extension only helps with this years taxes).

I don't domicile in the U.S anymore, and I'm not classed as a resident of Spain yet - because I'm not in the Country for the required collective # of days per year (as yet).
Where you are ordinarily resident is where your principal residence (and spouse) are usually, admittedly I'm no expert on Spanish tax law but usually a "number of days" test is not the only test of residency. Hmm... I just looked it up on the web and Spanish law does use a "centre of interests" test as the basic test so it sounds to me as though you reside there, especially if you've gotten a tax ID there.

So basically you get the money back from the IRS and pay back taxes in Spain for as long as you've had your residence there (and wherever you resided before that). And start your own business or register as self-employed and invoice the US company. Give them a W-8BEN so they don't have to do NRA withholding (assuming that's what it says in the Spanish treaty) and you no longer have to file a 1040NR.

Not a grey area.