Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking US Electric items to the UK

Taking US Electric items to the UK

Old May 18th 2008, 10:58 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Taking US Electric items to the UK

Is it possible to get a US bought Flat Screen TV to work in the UK? I need to upgrade my TV due to a malfunction, but I don't want to spend money to buy something nice if it need to leave it behind when we return.

I've searched some posts and read the below:

http://www.electrashop.co.uk/convertpower.htm

But I'm afraid I'm still confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking US Electric items to the UK

Well the problem is, not only are the sockets different in the UK, but the voltage is twice as much as we use in the States. So you need to find yourself a good AC-AC power converter. A simple plastic plug converter won't do the trick, especially with a delicate TV set.

I had the same problem when I brought some of my US electronics (Playstation2, rechargable shaver, etc) to the UK. My wife took me to an electronics store (Maplins I think), and we found a 4" x 12" black box from Sunpower Ltd. that converts the voltage going from the wall to the device and allows US electronics to run on UK plugs. It cost around £30 if memory serves and works great.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:08 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find a flat screen that handles 110/220 than it is simply a matter of switching a cord. My Phillips does, but it is one I bought in Asia, not in the US (where dual voltage is not as common). You might ask around when shopping for one.

There is a very good thread on Electronics for Americans moving to the UK here:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=55.0
Old May 19th 2008, 3:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I though US made TV worked on the NTSC system
and UK on the PAL system and were not compatable

perhaps some can
Old May 19th 2008, 4:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

perhaps some can
I'd guess not, too! Not to mention the tuner frequencies are totally different.
Old May 19th 2008, 4:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

perhaps some can
Many of the flat screen will handle both, especially if the TV is HD ready. But you do need to ask.

As for HD, I'm not sure if the US and the UK use the same standard (but I think they do).
Old May 19th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

TVs in the US don't have scart connections, a commonly used standard in the UK. Something to keep in mind.
Old May 19th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hobbes79
TVs in the US don't have scart connections, a commonly used standard in the UK. Something to keep in mind.
That's a very good point. You'd be hard pressed finding a UK DVD player or other peripherals that don't use SCART and can connect to your TV. Also, as mentioned before, the NTSC to PAL dilemma is another thing to keep in mind. Couple all that with the cost of safely moving a large, delicate piece of furniture like that, it'd be much easier and probably cheaper to just sell that one and buy a new TV once you get to the UK.
Old May 19th 2008, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pandajuice
That's a very good point. You'd be hard pressed finding a UK DVD player or other peripherals that don't use SCART and can connect to your TV. Also, as mentioned before, the NTSC to PAL dilemma is another thing to keep in mind. Couple all that with the cost of safely moving a large, delicate piece of furniture like that, it'd be much easier and probably cheaper to just sell that one and buy a new TV once you get to the UK.
As one who actually thinks you might be able to find a 110/220v TV, that does have PAL/NTSC/HD here in the US, I would second the advice above to just 'buy one in the UK'. There are so many risks in transit that you could brick the TV, plus the issues of plugs, convertors (not to mention the one thing we haven't talked about--support and warranties--some warranties are US only--NOT worldwide).

Just spend a bit extra and get it over there. You can look for one that is 110/220v & NTSC so when you come back it will work as well. The only thing you'll have a tough time with buying it overseas is support for Closed Captioning. Some of the ones sold in Europe don't have that capability.
Old May 19th 2008, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
yeah, years back when I was looking around to see if I could plug my dvd player in, no one had heard of a scart socket and thought it was really weird and old fashioned to have something that weird looking....this was before component cables became pretty standard
Old May 21st 2008, 12:50 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

So, basically it is possible, but I need to shop around very carefully.

Ignoring transporting (as it will be insured so a break would be the best result anyway!) a decent Flat Screen is literally half the price here so it's worth my while to do the research.

Thanks everyone
Old May 21st 2008, 2:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler

Ignoring transporting (as it will be insured so a break would be the best result anyway!) a decent Flat Screen is literally half the price here so it's worth my while to do the research.
Just figure in the difference of warranty if something were to go poop...
Old May 21st 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

chaskas is an unknown quantity at this point

dosn't work i did exactly that last year bought a samsung 42 inch lcd tele cheaper in Texas got it back to the UK with much trouble through customs only to end up putting it on E-bay its not the voltage you can get round that its the frequency and format thats the problem
Old May 21st 2008, 2:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaskas
dosn't work i did exactly that last year bought a samsung 42 inch lcd tele cheaper in Texas got it back to the UK with much trouble through customs only to end up putting it on E-bay its not the voltage you can get round that its the frequency and format thats the problem
Much as I suspected.
Old May 21st 2008, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaskas
Exactly.

I think this is a good example of one of those questions where someone asks "Can I do this?" and the correct answer is "It may be possible, but if *you* need to ask then, no, *you* can''t do it".

While it certainly might be possible to get a large flat panel display in the US and use it in the UK effectively just as a monitor to display various program sources, in order to do that you would *really* need to know what you were getting into - exactly what inputs and interfaces you needed, what you intended to connect it to in the UK etc etc. Unless you already have most of this information at your fingertips and *really* know what you are doing it just isn't possible - and even if you *do* know all that it probably still isn't actually worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.