Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking personal vehicle to the USA

Taking personal vehicle to the USA

Old Sep 16th 2016, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice
Default Taking personal vehicle to the USA

Is there any scope of moving with a personal vehicle from the UK to the USA on the non-immigrant visa classifications as there seems to be with other countries?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking personal vehicle to the USA

It can be done, but why would you want to?

Note, also, that vehicles less than 25 years old must conform to EPA and DOT standards - "Nonconforming vehicles less than 25 years old entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed."
Old Sep 16th 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

mgmidget is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason to take it with me is that I have more than one LHD car here in the UK as well as a LHD car older than 25yo and seems a shame not to take it with me!
Old Sep 16th 2016, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Were they originally built to be sold in the US or Europe? What state are you going to try and register them in? Some states do emission testing, some don't. Here in Texas only a few counties have testing. There was a "grey market" for European MB and BMW cars in the US back in 1980's when emission standards where stricter in the US. Many US military members stationed in West Germany would bring back bimmer's and benz's with engines that were not sold in the US on account of not meeting emission standards.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mgmidget
The reason to take it with me is that I have more than one LHD car here in the UK as well as a LHD car older than 25yo and seems a shame not to take it with me!
Its do-able. If its a permanent import of a vehicle over 25 years, I had to use a broker authorised to provide the service.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If it doesn't have some particular value or importance, I wouldn't bother.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

mgmidget is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If it doesn't have some particular value or importance, I wouldn't bother.
Rare and expensive car that's tricky to find in it's current condition! I may just leave here in storage with the others...
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Rare and expensive car that's tricky to find in it's current condition! I may just leave here in storage with the others...
Sounds like its worth bringing it to me. There are fewer than 5 of one of mine in North America.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

RORO to the US East Coast is around $1200 plus another $500 for customs clearance and bond fees.
As long as it is over 25 years old registration is usually not complicated.
The exception being diesels in California.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
RORO to the US East Coast is around $1200 plus another $500 for customs clearance and bond fees.
As long as it is over 25 years old registration is usually not complicated.
The exception being diesels in California.

Unless the buggers hit you for a full inspection, then add 3K
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Unless the buggers hit you for a full inspection, then add 3K

Usually a $3k in fees would be for a vehicle in a container, the fees incurred would moving the container to the inspection facility and the level of intensity of the inspection.
With RORO the inspections are usually done on the docks, I just had a car stuck in Baltimore for around three weeks while they went over it and paid nothing.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Usually a $3k in fees would be for a vehicle in a container, the fees incurred would moving the container to the inspection facility and the level of intensity of the inspection.
Yeah, that. Came as a very nasty shock - and there was nothing found then either. My two are on private land in PA right now, and the guy who shipped them seems to have disappeared. We paid all the shipping and inspection fees and didn't get our title docs. Thank god I've got the papertrail.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Did you get a copy of the email from Homeland Security with the release of the vehicles ?
Old Sep 19th 2016, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Did you get a copy of the email from Homeland Security with the release of the vehicles ?
No. Can I get a copy somehow ? I have the docs releasing the vehicles to my designated collectors.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

It should be with the customs broker who filed the entry for the vehicles.
I do not know about PA but in VA we also need the HS7 form which is filed before the vessel arrives. It is a declaration that the vehicle is more than 25 years old or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.