Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking Labrador from Suffolk to Dallas Texas

Taking Labrador from Suffolk to Dallas Texas

Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

mx_ell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking Labrador from Suffolk to Dallas Texas

Hi, ive been lurking on the site for a few days now, i must say the forum is brilliant and have found the answers to many of my questions. I was born in the uk but my mother is American so i have both an english and US passport and SSN, I am 18 years old and lived in Boise Idaho for just under a year when i was 10, i have now finished School in the uk and am working but ever since i got back form the States ive wanted to move back. i now feel i am in a position to do so and plan to move to the DFW area in august next year. my one concern is my 2 year old labrador, Dylan, i currently live in Suffolk so have a very mild climate, obvioulsy dallas is a lot hotter and more humid, i want to make sure he will be able to hadle the change and adapt to the new climate also that i will be able to adjust. Thanks for any help
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:30 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking Labrador from Suffolk to Dallas Texas

Originally Posted by mx_ell
Hi, ive been lurking on the site for a few days now, i must say the forum is brilliant and have found the answers to many of my questions. I was born in the uk but my mother is American so i have both an english and US passport and SSN, I am 18 years old and lived in Boise Idaho for just under a year when i was 10, i have now finished School in the uk and am working but ever since i got back form the States ive wanted to move back. i now feel i am in a position to do so and plan to move to the DFW area in august next year. my one concern is my 2 year old labrador, Dylan, i currently live in Suffolk so have a very mild climate, obvioulsy dallas is a lot hotter and more humid, i want to make sure he will be able to hadle the change and adapt to the new climate also that i will be able to adjust. Thanks for any help
We moved from Wales to Chicago with our beloved mutt, 2 years ago. The weather is quite brutal here, harsh freezing cold winters and then hot & humid summers - both not great when you're a dog In the winter he tends to put on weight, only going outside to do his business etc... In the summertime, he just lies on top of the air conditioning vents most of the time to keep cool, and his walks tend to be early morning or late at night to avoid the heat. I'm sure your dog will adjust to the climate change in time, and will be happy just to be here with you
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few threads on moving pets in this forum and on the moving back to UK, so that's the logistics, as for how the dog will cope, no idea.

As your 18, don't forget to sign up for selective service and to file your tax returns to the IRS

Oh, and welcome to BE
Old Jun 10th 2008, 12:25 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our 15 month old lab here Christmas 06 - she loves it, loves the snow, eating ice off the pond at -20C - aint to happy with the heat, but she survives with the A/C on.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

We brought our weimaraner from Brisbane to Houston. Even though he was used to the heat from Oz, its a lot more humid here. But he copes ok, I don't think he's too happy on the hottest days! We just make sure he has lots of water available, and he can go into the laundry room and garage when we're not home, so he can lie on the tiled floor, so nice and cool. A lot of the 'furrier' dogs here get shaved during the summer, its really funny to see a dog like a golden retriever, with a number one shave, but a normal tail!

Also lots of people dont walk their dogs during the summer, but I do, I just take lots of water (for us both) and walk during the cooler times! and make sure the aircon is on when we get back to cool him off.

Amanda
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. I agree with AmandaBee I walk our dog early in the morning or late in the evening and take plenty of water. It hasn't been too humid here so far this summer....lots of lovey breezes. Just make sure you get some good flea and tick meds from the vet...plenty of ticks around.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Hi, well as I live in Dallas let me warn you its HOT!!!
But as long as you are aware of the heat and humidity for you dog you'll do fine.
They will have to acclimatize for a while, small exposer will be the way to go but as long as the A/C is running and you just walk them early in the day they will adapt possibly quicker than you do.
There are numerous areas to walk you dog but lead laws are very strict (6ft lead, ALWAYS ON A LEASH) and picking up after your mutt is a given.

PM me when you can as to where you'll be moving too and I'll give you an idea about where are good spots to walk and some places to explore with your four legged friend.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at www.fortwoof.org
Might not be too far from you when you get here..we've yet to check it out (that's me and Sparky, my four legged friend)
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

That's a good point, if you intend to move to an apartment complex pick one that is dog friendly and has a doggie park because Labs need some room off leash. White Rock Lake has a great one too on the East side of Dallas. Plano North of Dallas too.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help guys, sounds like he can come with me afterall, im looking at moving to either fort worth or arlington does anbody know of any decent dog parks around there?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:45 pm
Just Joined