Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking a cycle to the UK

Taking a cycle to the UK

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking a cycle to the UK

My son will be travelling one-way to the UK in a couple of weeks. He's going to grad school at the University of Durham. He'll be travelling from our little airport via treehopper to Boston, then from Logan, Aer Lingus to Dublin and Aer Lingus to Manchester, then train to Durham. I know the airlines will take a bicycle with no problem if it correctly boxed up ... but I'm worried about him crossing Logan Airport with this plus a huge backpack, and the same at the Manchester end; airport to train etc. Anybody done a trip like this with a bicycle?

Alternatively, has anyone sent a bicycle independly via FedEx or DHL or similar. I'm wondering if that would be easier, how much it would cost etc.

This is a good touring bike, weighing about 25lbs. Any insights appreciated!!

Robin
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a cycle to the UK

Originally Posted by robin1234
My son will be travelling one-way to the UK in a couple of weeks. He's going to grad school at the University of Durham. He'll be travelling from our little airport via treehopper to Boston, then from Logan, Aer Lingus to Dublin and Aer Lingus to Manchester, then train to Durham. I know the airlines will take a bicycle with no problem if it correctly boxed up ... but I'm worried about him crossing Logan Airport with this plus a huge backpack, and the same at the Manchester end; airport to train etc. Anybody done a trip like this with a bicycle?

Alternatively, has anyone sent a bicycle independly via FedEx or DHL or similar. I'm wondering if that would be easier, how much it would cost etc.

This is a good touring bike, weighing about 25lbs. Any insights appreciated!!

Robin

It's probably cheaper to ship it (though watch out for Customs trying to levy excise duty - he shouldn't be due to pay, but that's not to say they won't try). Also a lot easier.

If he is going by a stack of different airlines, they may each try to charge him for each segment of his trip (plus more chance of it going missing).

Check eBay for a bike case as this might prevent damage. For example: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...0Travel%20Case
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's probably cheaper to ship it (though watch out for Customs trying to levy excise duty - he shouldn't be due to pay, but that's not to say they won't try). Also a lot easier.

If he is going by a stack of different airlines, they may each try to charge him for each segment of his trip (plus more chance of it going missing).

Check eBay for a bike case as this might prevent damage. For example: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...0Travel%20Case
Couple on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUFFBOX-CASE-for...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/THULE-ROUND-TRIP...QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Case-Tri...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robin

'Fraid I can't help with the cycle info...but I just wanted to say my big sister went to Durham and absolutely loved it! Those student bars - wow - I think she's still paying off her student debt now - and she graduated about 15 years ago!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:39 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I've done this a few times. It's a hassle (frankly) but nothing a teenage boy/young man of normal health can't handle.

Pack with lots of padding, handlers will throw it around. Buying a hard case will make it easier - but then you have the challenge of what to do with the box at the other end! If you pack properly with lots of foam, pipe lagging etc, there's nothing wrong with a cardboard box (get one from your LBS).

AA charged me $100 from airport of origin to airport of destination (i.e. regardless of sectors) last time. I doubt FedEx is cheaper, though.

The other thing he's going to need once he gets to Durham is the biggest, baddest lock he can handle - Kryptonite Fuhggedaboutit or Abus Steel-O-Flex are among the best imho. Even then (unfortunately) it's hard to keep your stuff. He might want to consider a cheap toon commuter that's ugly and wouldn't be so upsetting if it got nicked - good touring bikes don't come cheap, as I am sure already knows...

You could get him to go onto the touring/travel forum at bikeforums.net for more advice.

THT

L-W
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

If your son cant manage to get a 25Ibs bike across an airport he shouldn't bother with university and maybe retake the 5th grade.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
If your son cant manage to get a 25Ibs bike across an airport he shouldn't bother with university and maybe retake the 5th grade.
OOhh...rather uncalled for!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

L-W & dunroving,
Thanks for the good tips -- actually I'm encouraging him to buy a new bike over there, and leave me his; it's a nicer cycle than mine, as well as being 20 years newer (and, cleaned more recently )
Yeah, I think he already has his eye on those student bars ..

Robin
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by keira-2007
OOhh...rather uncalled for!
Not at all. He is going to be a graduate and cant carry a 25Ib bike from one airort terminal to another?????
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Noone said he couldn't, they were just asking if there is an easier way.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:45 am
Heading for Poppyland

Noone said he couldn't, they were just asking if there is an easier way.
Part of the issue is, since he's travelling one-way and moving to the UK long-term, he'll be wanting to take a lot of stuff with him; and the bicycle (either in terms of weight or in terms of maximum number of pieces) will reduce what he can travel with without paying excess... that made me think of shipping it independently as an alternative...

Robin
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:32 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. He is going to be a graduate and cant carry a 25Ib bike from one airort terminal to another?????
I say, I went up to Oxford so I could afford to pay rough-necked men to carry my things for me!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am significantly older and so far I have taken a bike to Sri Lanka and back, plus two to the US.

First one I brought over on a visit and left, the other when I moved over. Along with two large bags, used ever pound of my allowance. Interesting getting everything across London on the Tube.

My wife has also taken her bike to the UK and back.

She has a hard case, I have a soft one, my Bikes are larger!

25lbs is very light for a touring bike.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

logan airport is a shitter though
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I say, I went up to Oxford so I could afford to pay rough-necked men to carry my things for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.