Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

taking a car home from Florida

taking a car home from Florida

Old Dec 25th 2014, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

samati is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: taking a car home from Florida

The Range Rover is hugely popular and there are not that many competitors so I thought the ford Explorer, Acadia, Terrain etc would be a good alternative. No real comparison in quality (although I thought my Explorer was great) but based on price I think the Fords and GMCs would sell in the millions.

For me it is all about aesthetics and a 5 litre mustang would be the last one I would buy, I would be much more content with a 2.0 ecoboost or a diesel since the fuel is so expensive there and like here, you cant go very fast on the roads. What is the point of all that muscle when none of us can legally drive anywhere near the engines capabilities!

If they kept the exports to the Range Rover size or smaller and made them all diesel I am pretty sure they would do well.

I noticed when I was back there in summer, a Ford Ranger pick up and there were loads of them! There is a big market for business owners that can buy these pick ups and have them 100% tax deductible (same as a van) - again, a lucrative open market for all the pick up makers in the states.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Hey Pulaski

Not seen any caddys in Edinburgh but look forward to it lol.

Plenty of Chrysler and I think Dodge so if they can do it why cant the others. I agree that they could be shooting themselves in the foot if they bring them over and undercut themselves but they could just price them inline with all the others. Just because they sell a basic explorer over here for $30k doesn't meant they need to sell it over there for £20k. They could whack it up to £50k and still be around have the price of a Range Rover.
Pretty sure it would be worth changing them to RHD and making them all diesels and compliant with the European regs.

I used to like seeing the 300 and Crossfire on the streets of Edinburgh and look forward to seeing the Mustangs in September.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
No it's not, you must have missed where I pointed out my relative doing it. In fact he did it twice.

Yes they are, their franchise agreement may say otherwise but it depends on the make. Ford definitely will do it. GM won't, Chrysler won't for Canadians but I'm not sure about generally speaking.

There's no law against it though.

Have a read of this: Canadian car buyers blocked from cheaper U.S. prices - Business - CBC News

As it says, Ford, Kia and Nissan will do it.

Well Jaguar and Range Rover is just one company, like I said, it depends on the franchise agreement.

Well it used to until it started getting enormous flak from Canada, so back in 2009 when Canadians were going berserk there was some movement on it, because until then a lot of manufacturers were making cars with slight differences to make them more awkward to export from the US, so they caved on that point, since 2009 the difference between Canadian and US-spec vehicles is basically just the speedometer and odometer.

Yeah that's Chrysler though. I'm here to tell you my relative bought a new Jeep Cherokee and exported it to the UK, but they are awkward about doing it.

The usual trick is to put it out as a loaner and put some mileage on it and then sell it as "used".

But anyway it's not a general rule was my point, depends on the make.
Fair enough. Ford Corporate is one of may largest clients. Their tacit policy to their dealer network is a requirement not to sell US inventory for export. Particularly so now - a gen 5, 5.0GT Mustang is around $35k here - it's going to be around GBP40k in the UK.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 8:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
..... - a gen 5, 5.0GT Mustang is around $35k here - it's going to be around GBP40k in the UK.
Of which most of the difference will be duty, VAT, and shipping (if privately or very-small-volume exported).
Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Top Gear (or was it Fifth Gear?) did a review of the Cadillac and totally slammed it as a complete POS!!

Same thing with the Chrysler 300 on Fifth Gear. Vicki Double-Barreled-Pretentious- Whatever was led to it blindfolded and said it was American cr@p just from the ride alone!
Old Dec 26th 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Of which most of the difference will be duty, VAT, and shipping (if privately or very-small-volume exported).
For some, it would be worth the effort - shipping a car is relatively cheap - either by container or RoRo. I think you could net $10k per vehicle if you pushed all the buttons in the correct order.

New grey import Range Rovers sell for the equivalent of $200k+ in China - so more like $50k in one of those.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 6:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

For some, it would be worth the effort - shipping a car is relatively cheap - either by container or RoRo. I think you could net $10k per vehicle if you pushed all the buttons in the correct order.

New grey import Range Rovers sell for the equivalent of $200k+ in China - so more like $50k in one of those.
You're aware that luxury cars imported to China attract 25% duty plus 25% consumption tax, and then 17% VAT, aren't you? I don't doubt that it might be possible to turn a profit importing an almost new Range Rover from the US to China, but I don't see $50,000 of profit in it.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

If you guys were taking a car back to the UK for profit what would it be?
Best classic?
Best nearly new?
Old Dec 26th 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by samati
Best classic?
Best nearly new?
Classic, something more highly valued in the UK than the US, such an MG, Austin Healy, or TR4/5/6. .... So long as it had been kept in the South East or South West, and (therefore) wasn't badly rusted.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Classic, something more highly valued in the UK than the US, such an MG, Austin Healy, or TR4/5/6. .... So long as it had been kept in the South East or South West, and (therefore) wasn't badly rusted.
So long as it was before all the smog controls and the bad rubber bumpers in the 70s too.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Best classic?
Best nearly new?
I would suggest something like this - 1970 Challenger 440R/T Magnum - very sympathetic restoration (though not numbers matching) Very nearly complete, factory correct color and $40k.

This car would fetch a lot of money in the Mopar community in UK. For sale in Orlando FL right now - the guy who restored it has worked on several of my cars and knows what he's doing.
Attached Thumbnails taking a car home from Florida-79952aa3-9f38-4066-864e-1d32a0385c10_zpspbrkd9qq.jpg  
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Best classic?
Best nearly new?
We export classic motorcycles to the UK and found it is much more profitable than classic cars.
However just to ship one motorcycle is likely to be cost prohibitive.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're aware that luxury cars imported to China attract 25% duty plus 25% consumption tax, and then 17% VAT, aren't you? I don't doubt that it might be possible to turn a profit importing an almost new Range Rover from the US to China, but I don't see $50,000 of profit in it.
Sure - if those that import western vehicles into China are assumed to be law-abiding, tax-paying, honest and decent folk. The fact that more than 50% of Range Rovers imported into China in 2013 were stolen from the original owners suggests something otherwise.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 7:19 pm

Sure - if those that import western vehicles into China are assumed to be law-abiding, tax-paying, honest and decent folk. The fact that more than 50% of Range Rovers imported into China in 2013 were stolen from the original owners suggests something otherwise.
You seemed to be suggesting a business enterprise earlier. I assume that you are not advocating a business enterprise based on theft and tax evasion.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. Ford Corporate is one of may largest clients. Their tacit policy to their dealer network is a requirement not to sell US inventory for export. Particularly so now - a gen 5, 5.0GT Mustang is around $35k here - it's going to be around GBP40k in the UK.
That sounds like something for those engaged in a business of doing it. I know I've sat at secondary inspection at Sweet Grass and watched people importing new Fords. In fact thinking about it I saw someone do it with a new Cadillac Escalade, wonder how he pulled that off...

I'm sure the franchise agreements change fairly often, I know Subaru USA used to allow exports to Canada but stopped last year because of demand.