Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

t**t t**t t**t t**t ....what a great word

t**t t**t t**t t**t ....what a great word

Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default t**t t**t t**t t**t ....what a great word

this is sort of a warning to anyone moving here and just an opportunity to use this word out in the open where it belongs.
I remember coming to work and eating lunch with some co-workers when I first arrived. They are all a very liberal open minded educated bunch and very nice people. I was telling some story and exaplained that the guy i was talking about was a bti of a twat. at mention of that word there was a silence.. tumble weeds passed by and the wind whistled.. I repeated my sentence and a look of shock was on everyones faces.
What had I said.. were they upset about the story in some way it wasnt very offensive though I heard that americans are very PC and very sensitive about almost everything.
It turns out that the word twat here is very very offensive on a level of the ****** word. I gues technically it does have the same meaning. I tried to explain that in england it is routinely used by many people even in day time children's tv and radio shows. They were quite incredulous. So now I am trying to bring the word into popular use... I have a few American friends who are suddenly liberated and make a point of using the word whenever possible! yeah!
Likewise the brand name SMEG as in smeg cookers and fridges brough some shocked looks when I asked a girl at work if she had any smeg stuff at home... She was extremely offened and even explaining that its a brand name back home did little to mollify her
Of course then there are the swedish 'spunk' sweets but that maybe too much for people here..
I was wondering what english swear words we can get away with here that people dont understand. I thought it might be amusic to see what you could get away with for personalised licence plates... I swear I saw someone with the plate wnker....
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: .... what a great word

Originally Posted by angelman
this is sort of a warning to anyone moving here and just an opportunity to use this word out in the open where it belongs.
I remember coming to work and eating lunch with some co-workers when I first arrived. They are all a very liberal open minded educated bunch and very nice people. I was telling some story and exaplained that the guy i was talking about was a bti of a twat. at mention of that word there was a silence.. tumble weeds passed by and the wind whistled.. I repeated my sentence and a look of shock was on everyones faces.
What had I said.. were they upset about the story in some way it wasnt very offensive though I heard that americans are very PC and very sensitive about almost everything.
It turns out that the word twat here is very very offensive on a level of the ****** word. I gues technically it does have the same meaning. I tried to explain that in england it is routinely used by many people even in day time children's tv and radio shows. They were quite incredulous. So now I am trying to bring the word into popular use... I have a few American friends who are suddenly liberated and make a point of using the word whenever possible! yeah!
Likewise the brand name SMEG as in smeg cookers and fridges brough some shocked looks when I asked a girl at work if she had any smeg stuff at home... She was extremely offened and even explaining that its a brand name back home did little to mollify her
Of course then there are the swedish 'spunk' sweets but that maybe too much for people here..
I was wondering what english swear words we can get away with here that people dont understand. I thought it might be amusic to see what you could get away with for personalised licence plates... I swear I saw someone with the plate wnker....

Can't say I remember the word twat being used routinely on childrens' programs...or on daytime TV.

Last edited by Bob; Sep 27th 2006 at 12:12 am.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ... what a great word

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't say I remember the word twat being used routinely on childrens' programs...or on daytime TV.
Me neither.

I don.t like it myself.

Last edited by Bob; Sep 27th 2006 at 12:13 am.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Me neither.

I don.t like it myself.
I quite like it but I don't normally swear...unless I'm on BE or I've hurt myself.

Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I quite like it but I don't normally swear...unless I'm on BE or I've hurt myself.
Haven't seen you around much lately

Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Default Re: .....what a great word

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Haven't seen you around much lately
Probs with the hands again...back on the meds again so they're feeling better.

Last edited by Bob; Sep 27th 2006 at 12:18 am.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:13 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ........what a great word

I'm pretty sure the equivalent American word is Twot, so not far off really.

Last edited by Bob; Sep 27th 2006 at 12:16 am.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:14 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: t**t t**t t**t t**t ....what a great word

this is............wnker....
Many times I have had to explain that "bloody" is not swearing at all. Many septics are under the misconception that it is on a par with FU(K.
Bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody, tw@t.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
I'm pretty sure the equivalent American word is Twot, so not far off really.
Nah, thats just the way they pronounce it.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Default Re: t**t t**t t**t t**t ....what a great word

Seems the mods don't agree with you.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:17 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Nah, thats just the way they pronounce it.
Hahaha, the thought had crossed my mind!

I love this, see the example for number 3! - http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...t&defid=350465

Last edited by Bob; Sep 27th 2006 at 12:20 am.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
Hahaha, the thought had crossed my mind!

I love this, see the example for number 3! - http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...t&defid=350465
Like that one.

"You ******* twot" just doesn't seem to have the same ring though.
More tea Vicar?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:31 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Bob doesn't like the word twat, I'm guessing
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:32 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by gardnma
Like that one.

"You ******* twot" just doesn't seem to have the same ring though.
More tea Vicar?
Hahaha, yeah, getting 'twotted over the head' just doesn't sound right somehow!

Shall we all start referring to The War On Terror as TWOT then? Okay, sounds good to me!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:32 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Bob doesn't like the word twat, I'm guessing
What on earth gave you that idea?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.