Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SXSW visa for artists..

SXSW visa for artists..

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:52 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default SXSW visa for artists..

There's a bit of a kerfuffle going on down here in Austin with SXSW around the corner....

SXSW have said that any international artist performing at a non-official event may be reported by SXSW to the immigration authorities to have their visa status verified!!!

However, their own page is a bit disingenuous in my opinion... what do others make of it?
If I am an international act, do I need to apply for a visa to perform at SXSW Music Festival? – SXSW Support
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SXSW visa for artists..

South By Southwest dedicates itself to helping creative people achieve their goals. Founded in 1987 in Austin, Texas, SXSW is best known for its conference and festivals that celebrate the convergence of the interactive, film, and music industries. The event, an essential destination for global professionals, features sessions, showcases, screenings, exhibitions, and a variety of networking opportunities. SXSW proves that the most unexpected discoveries happen when diverse topics and people come together.

How would they know?

Yes the phrasing is confusing and seemingly written by somebody without a knowledge of Immigration Law but the basics are there.

I assume it would be normal to be paid for such an event?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 11:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Seems clear enough to me, ..... but to anyone not familar with the US visa types, I can see it may cause confusion.

The fact (I assume that the organisers of SXSW have taken legal advice and know what they're talking about) that SXSW is an "approved cultural exchange event" is where most of the confusion is being generated with respect to performances and the VWP.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:12 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Seems clear enough to me, ..... but to anyone not familar with the US visa types, I can see it may cause confusion.

The fact (I assume that the organisers of SXSW have taken legal advice and know what they're talking about) that SXSW is an "approved cultural exchange event" is where most of the confusion is being generated with respect to performances and the VWP.
They have rewritten the page. It now states that artists coming to sxsw need a work visa and if entering on vwp they risk being denied entry. Sxsw is not an approved cultural exchange event, it is a hugely successful conference. Ticket prices are ridiculous and most of us are glad that we can escape it since it is our spring break.

I suspect we will hear of a number of would be performers being turned away.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

One group has pulled out due to the threat to report groups to Trump.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
One group has pulled out due to the threat to report groups to Trump.
Sad.