Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

switching electrical components

switching electrical components

Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default switching electrical components

I have a couple of lamps in the UK that I really love...strange maybe, but they mean a lot :-)...anyway, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether I could buy the components of a US lamp and switch it into my UK lamp? Just the light fitting and plug section, so that it would work over there...

I am bringing them anyway, they will always look good in the spare room, even if they don't work!!!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: switching electrical components

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
I have a couple of lamps in the UK that I really love...strange maybe, but they mean a lot :-)...anyway, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether I could buy the components of a US lamp and switch it into my UK lamp? Just the light fitting and plug section, so that it would work over there...

I am bringing them anyway, they will always look good in the spare room, even if they don't work!!!
Hi:

It is done all the time. No guarantees as to any particular lamp. Lets put it this way, we have one light fixture over 200 years old and it was electrified 50 years back. We also have gorgeous old oil lamp which was electrified. There are shops in the US who will do that for you [but they are not common].
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Oh yeay :-)

Thank you!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Easily done by the handy.. my Mister changed over a couple of sentimental ones as well.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:23 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Just remember to look at the flex as well. Chances are it'll be OK, but you'll be running at half the voltage and therefore drawing more current for the same power bulb. So you might need thicker cable.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Just remember to look at the flex as well. Chances are it'll be OK, but you'll be running at half the voltage and therefore drawing more current for the same power bulb. So you might need thicker cable.
Although logically that is true, I suspect that UK cables are way beyond what is needed. If you compare a US lamp cable to a UK lamp cable, the UK cable is usually larger with a lower current requirement.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Although logically that is true, I suspect that UK cables are way beyond what is needed. If you compare a US lamp cable to a UK lamp cable, the UK cable is usually larger with a lower current requirement.
British electrical equipment is yet another field where they are years ahead in the safety aspect, cables, flexes etc are a much higher wattage level and the UK socket system is something the whole world needs to use for safety reasons
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
British electrical equipment is yet another field where they are years ahead in the safety aspect, cables, flexes etc are a much higher wattage level and the UK socket system is something the whole world needs to use for safety reasons
I wouldn't necessary say that. Having a plug that is the size of one of these ac/dc converters is overkill.

The Swiss think their system is the best. When I was there I couldn't buy a new refrigerator that contained a cable and plug. They said it was for safety purposes and that an electrician needs to be there to plug it in so the electrician will bring the cord and attach it. Of coarse that would cost extra money and you couldn't buy a cable and plug in Switzerland and do it yourself or plug it in if it was already attached since you are stupid.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't necessary say that. Having a plug that is the size of one of these ac/dc converters is overkill.

The Swiss think their system is the best. When I was there I couldn't buy a new refrigerator that contained a cable and plug. They said it was for safety purposes and that an electrician needs to be there to plug it in so the electrician will bring the cord and attach it. Of coarse that would cost extra money and you couldn't buy a cable and plug in Switzerland and do it yourself or plug it in if it was already attached since you are stupid.
I was refering to the system which requires the very sturdy earth pin (ground to the colonists) to be inseted before the two other more harmfull pins can gain access to the power supply thus ensuring that no unfortunate person kan stick things in the sockets .......... All of my American family are very impressed when ever they visit ....... Also having a replacable fuse in the plug is a great idea.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I was refering to the system which requires the very sturdy earth pin (ground to the colonists) to be inseted before the two other more harmfull pins can gain access to the power supply thus ensuring that no unfortunate person kan stick things in the sockets .......... All of my American family are very impressed when ever they visit ....... Also having a replacable fuse in the plug is a great idea.
The low US voltage is much safer. That is why US bathrooms can have GFI (Ground Fault Interrupters) installed to make them fairly safe around water.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to get electrocuted using a GFI but the chance is very much lower than if one was installed in Europe.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The low US voltage is much safer.
... but this is largely offset by the fact that US standards (sorry, "code") for domestic wiring are crap ...
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by md95065
... but this is largely offset by the fact that US standards (sorry, "code") for domestic wiring are crap ...
True but it's pretty hard to get electrocuted unless you are standing in water.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

as long as the fitting is the same (tend to be more screw here than bayonnet) the just cut the plug off, add a US one and you are off. Its a simple circuit so no problem