Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Surrender of UK driving licence

Surrender of UK driving licence

Old May 14th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Targaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really nice
Default Surrender of UK driving licence

Just a random query about driving licences: my understanding is that as a visitor you can drive in the US for a year on a valid foreign driving licence but that if you are actually resident then after a state-specified period you're required to get a US driving licence. However, I would still have to complete a driving test to get such a licence. In doing so I remember reading some time back now that you are supposed to surrender your UK licence (this may have changed in the meantime; please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I know if matters are reversed then a US driving licence holder does not have to give that up if they take the UK test, so I was wondering what basis this requirement is made on. If I'm going to have to take a US driving test anyway, is there any particular reason why they even need to know I hold a UK licence? Is there legislation in place that states I can't hold two licences at once? Especially if they're not actually recognising it as a valid licence then it should be neither here nor there whether I have it or not.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrender of UK driving licence

Yeah this was all discussed recently.

The requirement for you to surrender your UK license varies by state. Some states don't care, and you will show your license to satisfy any requirement to prove that you have so many driving hours under your belt, and they give it back to you.

Others will let you keep your UK license but will only issue you a non-transferrable US license.

Still others (GA seems to be strict on this) will NOT issue you a US license unless you surrender your foreign one.

Some have worked around the issue by not mentioning a UK license and applying for a learners permit, then taking the test on that basis. How you prove to them that you have performed the requisite number of hours of driving practice to become eligible for the skills test, is a question to think about.

IIRC, the 12 months driving on a foreign license only applies to non-immigrant visa holders - if you immigrate then you need to get a US license as soon as your home state requires.

The UK does require the surrender of a US license before they will issue a UK one:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562

Also this thread recently discussed these things:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522235
Old May 14th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Targaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really niceTargaff is just really nice

Cheers for the thread link - I tend not to venture outside of MBV, so I forgot to widen my search when I was doing it.

Regarding the surrender to the UK, however, I think your interpretation is wrong. Much as the US won't simply exchange a UK licence for a US one, the UK won't do an exchange in the opposite direction. Because of this, the rules on the page you linked - specifically "you must surrender your foreign licence which will be returned to the issuing authority" - shouldn't apply, as it is not an exchangeable licence.

In fact, I just called the DVLA about this to assuage my curiosity and was told that they would not require a US licence to be surrendered (I made sure I asked the question neutrally) and that the person would have to take a test for a UK licence, so I'd be interested to hear whether anyone who made the move in this direction did have their US licence taken off them during that process.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
How you prove to them that you have performed the requisite number of hours of driving practice to become eligible for the skills test, is a question to think about.
Another reason to check the DMV of the state you are moving to as IL does not have a minimum requirement for adults.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

And for some states, everyone that applies for a learners' permit has to hold it for a certain number of days, regardless of foreign driving experience, before taking the road test to get a license. I.e., in KY, my OH had to do the written test and hold a permit for 30 days before being allowed to take the driving test to get a license (it didn't matter that he had been driving in the UK and South Africa for 10+ years).

FYI, and every state may be different in how long your license will be valid for. For example, my husband's first license (in KY) expired the same day as his 1yr EAD (he entered on a K1 visa). After AOS approval, he went back to the DMV, and got a new license that expired the same day as his CPR card (good for 2 years). A 'normal' citizens' license, though, lasts for 4 years - so obviously we had to pay more attention to expiration dates. Certain paperwork, showing your status, may be required to continually renew your license so you should be aware of what's required.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I.e., in KY, my OH had to do the written test and hold a permit for 30 days before being allowed to take the driving test to get a license (it didn't matter that he had been driving in the UK and South Africa for 10+ years).
Wow! Times have changed. When I arrived in KY in 1998 from Canada, I filled out a form, gave the clerk my NS driver's license and she gave me back a KY license... no exam, no driving test... nothing!

Ian