Reload this Page >

Supermarkets

Supermarkets

Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Pooky11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Supermarkets

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help - my husband is in Manhatten and the supermarket near him is not well stocked and rather expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper larger supermarkets in Manhatten? We don't have a car so it would be difficult to go out to the suburbs.

Is there a large supermarket that does internet ordering and delivery?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Pooky
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:18 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarkets

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Have you done an Internet Search for this? My ex husband is from Manahatten and always commented on the lack of available items at the stores there. Most people that we know that live there drive in to Connecticut to shop monthly.

What on Earth are you trying to buy ? We lived in Manhattan for ages and never had a problem getting anything. In fact it is harder to get speciality items here in Florida. Nothing in Manhattan is more than a cheap subway ride away.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on where you live. Food and most things are always more expensive in NYC, it goes with the territory. The Food Emporium has some larger multiple story stores throughout the city. There are 3 nr my mom's on the Upper East Side that have 2+ levels. D'Agostino's and Gristedes tend to be lower prices, but most are pretty run down and look dirty. If you're just getting basics it's fine, but for fresh produce and meat I'd stick to F.E or if you're willing to spend a little more Zabars, Whole Foods, or Dean & Deluca.

There used to be a good company that did same day online deliveries, but they went out of business. I forget what they were called, but with every delivery they would give you a t-shirt.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pooky11
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help - my husband is in Manhatten and the supermarket near him is not well stocked and rather expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper larger supermarkets in Manhatten? We don't have a car so it would be difficult to go out to the suburbs.

Is there a large supermarket that does internet ordering and delivery?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Pooky
Where do you live Pooky?

If you live in Manhattan too, it's no surprise that the supermarkets in Manhattan are like you describe. Only a very small proportion of New Yorkers live there because it is so expensive.

Since you don't have a car, surely you can ride the NY Metro to the outer boroughs to do some shopping?

Alternatively, maybe some of the larger supermarkets in the boroughs could perhaps make a delivery to you. It'll be costly but it saves you the trouble of lugging your groceries on the Metro.

One vacation I stayed for a week's in a colleague's loft apartment in Tribeca. I noticed the same problem as you and wondered how she managed to get groceries...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:31 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Supermarkets

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Where do you live Pooky?

If you live in Manhattan too, it's no surprise that the supermarkets in Manhattan are like you describe. Only a very small proportion of New Yorkers live there because it is so expensive.

Since you don't have a car, surely you can ride the NY Metro to the outer boroughs to do some shopping?

Alternatively, maybe some of the larger supermarkets in the boroughs could perhaps make a delivery to you. It'll be costly but it saves you the trouble of lugging your groceries on the Metro.

One vacation I stayed for a week's in a colleague's loft apartment in Tribeca. I noticed the same problem as you and wondered how she managed to get groceries...

NC Penguin
:scared:

I really don't understand this problem with going Grocery shopping in Manhattan. Every neighborhood has a selection of Supermarkets within walking distance of your apartment, they even have them around Wall Street. We lived in Murray Hill, 34th & Lexington, 3 blocks from the Empire State Building. It was just like a village with heavy traffic. You could live, more or less, totally within your own zip code and live well too.

In addition there are a huge number, thousands, of speciality stores catering to the ethnic variance in the city.

One great thing Manhattan has, which most cities have lost, is the number of Mom and Pop Grocery and Butchery shops.

There is also a fantastic Farmer's Market at Union Square, right on top of the subway station. I used to buy fresh lamb's kidneys there, try doing that in most other American towns.

Maybe things are more expensive than COSTCO but the variety, quality and the freshness of the produce is the best you can get. With the competition being huge, poor quality stores do not stay open long.

If the original poster cannot find what he/she wants wherever it is they are staying they need to get out more and do some exploring.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

I have yet to move to Manhatten (3rd Avenue and 36th - I think) my husband arrived last week. We are from the UK and are used to shopping in big supermarkets where quality and price are both good.

We are living in central NY for a couple of years to try a new experience. I don't want to have to spend half my weekend trecking around Manhatten to various stores just to get the ingredients for one meal.

I shall recommend Food Emporium to him.

Thanks

Pooky
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:22 pm

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

I have yet to move to Manhatten (3rd Avenue and 36th - I think) my husband arrived last week. We are from the UK and are used to shopping in big supermarkets where quality and price are both good.

We are living in central NY for a couple of years to try a new experience. I don't want to have to spend half my weekend trecking around Manhatten to various stores just to get the ingredients for one meal.

I shall recommend Food Emporium to him.

Thanks

Pooky
36th & 3rd, close-ish to the UN & the Chrysler Building.

There are plenty of supermarkets on 3rd avenue around there. Certainly an excellent D'Agostinos which was refurbished only about 3 years ago. There is a Food Emporium & Gristedes at 33rd & 3rd.

If you are looking for a traditional Butcher, go to 34th & 3rd or 35th & 3rd, I think it is called Center Meat Market. They supply a ton of the upscale restaurants and have excellent quality, they also sell vegetables. I used to buy my Xmas ham there to take back to the UK.

There are also plenty of small "Greengrocer" type shops on 3rd.

In Grand Central station, at the south entrance, about 43rd & Lexington, there is a mini "fresh market" (Grand Central Market) with a wide variety of independent stalls selling everything from lobster to carrots, all top quality.

The quality of produce in a NY supermarket is far superior to anything you may find in the average Tescos.

Once you have discovered the joys, and convenience, of living in Manhattan you will never want to drive out to the 'burbs to shop.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Supermarkets

You will need public transport to get there but the new flagship "Wholefoods" supermarket has recently opened in the newly constructed Time Warner building at Columbus Circle. It's where the super-luxurious Mandarin Oriental hotel is located along with other shops in the same complex. They have another location in the city too.

There is a Wholefoods in my town in New Jersey and it is nice to get some stuff there but too expensive to do a complete weekly shop there. You will almost certainly be doing most of your food shopping at the previously mentioned d'Agostino's or the Food Emporium.

http://www.wholefoods.com (store locator at top of the home page).

Don't forget that in the main, New Yorkers tend to eat out or order pre-cooked food (pizzas, Chinese etc.) to be delivered to their apartments. On the other hand, you can go down to places like Chinatown for cheap eats or find a local (ethnic) restaurant in your neighbourhood which offers inexpensive meals.

l was very surprised when I stayed briefly in NYC to discover just how many New Yorkers send their shirts out to a laundry to be washed and pressed, rather than do it themselves. There are even professional dog-walkers (you will see them walking about half a dozen dogs at the same time) and it seems that everyone has a dog in Manhatten!

Always keep dollar bills - you will need them to give to the delivery guys for their tips LOL!

http://www.thefoodemporium.com

http://www.dagnyc.com

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Englishmum; Dec 13th 2004 at 9:47 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:20 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try Fairway - they have good prices and sell a good selection of British items. There is on on Long Island too
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:42 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Ben
You could also try Fairway - they have good prices and sell a good selection of British items. There is on on Long Island too
Bit off topic, but Harris Tweeter's (if you have one) has a reasonable stock of things British ... Tetley British Blend, Heinz spotty dick pudding, treacle (used to like it, but it tastes too rich now), toffey, chocolate pudding, Cross and Blackwell stuff ... didn't see any weetabix though; bit pricey ... but hey, it's GREAT STUFF! Also, "premium bacon" ... still not quite Danish bacon ... but getting close ... yum yummy I have UK food on my tummy ... Die acid stomach; die like the dog you are upset tummy (play on a Red Dwarf line) ... give me spotty dick pudding or give me death (Patrick Henry will turn in his grave).

Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:54 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

If you don't want to leave the apartment, http://www.freshdirect.com, very reasonable prices for the quality and service they provide - they deliver too!

In comparison to the grocery stores in Queens, the quality of FreshDirect's fruits, vegetables and meats is unrivalled, though the do not sell toiletries, etc. We order from it every couple of weeks, stocking up on meats, etc, and then shopping at the supermarket other weeks to keep stocked up on toiletries, etc.

Manhattan does have some very good small speciality stores though. Be sure to check out Myers of Keswick in the Village for British style sausages, pork pies, and imported food stuffs.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Supermarkets

Thank you to everyone for all your help - it's greatly appreciated. I think I am going to stock up on Marks and Spencers Tea bags before I leave! I have to have a real cup of tea in the mornings!

Do the K-Mart stores in Manhatten sell food as I read somewhere that they do stock food in other areas of the US

Pooky
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone for all your help - it's greatly appreciated. I think I am going to stock up on Marks and Spencers Tea bags before I leave! I have to have a real cup of tea in the mornings!

Do the K-Mart stores in Manhatten sell food as I read somewhere that they do stock food in other areas of the US

Pooky
K-Marts round where I live do sell food but it's not that high quality really. Most of it is the non-perishible stuff (canned, tea, coffee, long life bread, etc.) plus perishible essentials (milk, juice, etc.).

It's not the kind of store where you'd be able to do your weekly shop. I might be mistaken so please check the K-Mart website.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:40 pm

Pooky
There is a K-Mart on West 34th street, by Penn Station, and another one on Broadway. I don't think either of them sell much food except for snack type stuff.

As regards tea bags, most supermarkets sell a range you won't recognise except you might find Tetley's. To find a wide array of teas without going to expensive "speciality" stores you should head down Lexington towards "Little India" (in the high 20s). There are a ton of Indian Cafes and Restaurants as well as Indian produce stores. They will have all the teas you recognise (except for Marks & Spencers) like PG Tips and Typhoo.

If you fancy a good Indian takeaway there is a place at 153 East 33rd street called Curry and Curry. All the Indian cab drivers go there. It looks like a real dump but the food is excellent. Never had any stomach problems from the food.

There is an outstanding Indian restaurant called Bukhara Grill at 217 East 49th Street. Gets a 4.5 star rating at menupages.com

If you are searching for restaurants in Manhattan, apart from reading New York magazine reviews, you can't do much better than the Menu Pages reviews.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We are from the UK and are used to shopping in big supermarkets where quality and price are both good.

Looks like it's time to have that new experience!
Things will be different, but isn't that the point?

This probably won't be considered one of the helpful posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.