Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sunday Mornings

Sunday Mornings

Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Sunday Mornings

I'm C of E, and quite laid back, but the guys in town take the biscuit.

Our town is dry (no alcohol or pubs), and the little place is run by the Baptists and the Catholics.

I entertained the idea that we might build a saloon bar and eventually have a nightclub (with exotic dancers)

Like I spat in their eye They recoiled in horror

Nothing more civilised than having a Sunday lunch in your Local, listening to live music, or just relaxing with friends with a pint of best bitter.

One thing I've learned from USA, Americans don't know how to enjoy themselves like the Brits.

UK hasn't got everything right, but you can go out with friends at the weekends, and all your troubles are forgotten.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sunday Mornings

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
One thing I've learned from USA, Americans don't know how to enjoy themselves like the Brits.

UK hasn't got everything right, but you can go out with friends at the weekends, and all your troubles are forgotten.

it is very different i'll give you that, very different.

if we have been out with any locals on a weekend night it's all over and done by about 8.30/9PM at the latest
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you really should have a look at changing state, or maybe even just town. Its not the same everywhere - many a time I have been out with friends here at the weekend to forget your troubles as you say.

I admit the collective mentality or atmosphere is a little different to the UK (especially over Christmas where the Christmas spirit is really lacking), but you can have fun here. Not only do I know some big drinkers, they also drive home afterwards - mad!

Sounds like you live in the middle of some religious sect - but you can't tar everywhere here with that brush, it's a big country.

As regards Sundays, plenty of people round here all head to what might pass a "The Local" to watch the (American) Football.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

I was reading your other thread about leaving and it does seem that you live in a strange kind of place. I don't think Texas is like the rest of the US, it's part of the South and that's an area I could never live in.

In most parts of the country people certainly go out and stay out late on weekends and they have fun too. Granted there is not the amount of drinking here, that drinking is the only reason I wouldn't want to live in the UK.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live people go out late on the weekend and you can buy booze (even on Sundays!). So, I think you live in a very different place! I come from Manchester too and I love going out in the city on the weekends. Hundreds of people having a good time! I loved it.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newenglander
I was reading your other thread about leaving and it does seem that you live in a strange kind of place. I don't think Texas is like the rest of the US, it's part of the South and that's an area I could never live in.

In most parts of the country people certainly go out and stay out late on weekends and they have fun too. Granted there is not the amount of drinking here, that drinking is the only reason I wouldn't want to live in the UK.

Not all of Texas is how Mr Lanky describes it..........but it is nice you think it's different than the rest of the US...it is ...everything here is bigger
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, any of the Catholics I know have known how to get down and party hearty!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:55 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came to Eureka Illinois it was a dry town, there is a bar but its outside the city limits....The local Apostolic Christian Church ensured the the local bye-law regulating the sale of alcohol was renewed yearly.... That was 4 years ago ....The make up of the local council changed and the AC's lost overall control, so now we can buy liquor at the gas station and be served alcoholic beverages at the local restaurants (although some remain alcohol free and attract mainly AC customers). There are restrictions on the places allowed to served drinks ...only 6 permits were issued and all the premises had to certain distances from schools and churches. (The original proposal was 800 feet but this was found to be unworkable as Eureka has 18 or so churches...)
There is still only one bar and its rumoured that should the AC's regain control of the city council things will change again
Six miles down the country road is Deer Creek ...a tiny place of 180 people (according to the sign anyways ) .....it has 3 bars that are open till 4am ....wanna guess were most of their customers come from
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:49 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't be doing with all these U-turns
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:48 am
Account Closed

Thumbs up Re: Sunday Mornings

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
When I first came to Eureka Illinois it was a dry town, there is a bar but its outside the city limits....The local Apostolic Christian Church ensured the the local bye-law regulating the sale of alcohol was renewed yearly.... That was 4 years ago ....The make up of the local council changed and the AC's lost overall control, so now we can buy liquor at the gas station and be served alcoholic beverages at the local restaurants (although some remain alcohol free and attract mainly AC customers). There are restrictions on the places allowed to served drinks ...only 6 permits were issued and all the premises had to certain distances from schools and churches. (The original proposal was 800 feet but this was found to be unworkable as Eureka has 18 or so churches...)
There is still only one bar and its rumoured that should the AC's regain control of the city council things will change again
Six miles down the country road is Deer Creek ...a tiny place of 180 people (according to the sign anyways ) .....it has 3 bars that are open till 4am ....wanna guess were most of their customers come from
Nothing like a bevvy and a pub lunch, lolololol after a hard week's work, you have got to unwind, all this religion bollocks

I just grab a 24 pack and put the stereo on...."Who the F*** is Alice by Roy "Chubby" Brown. The neighbours can't quite believe the lyrics, and they are religious nuts
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:55 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like a bevvy and a pub lunch, lolololol after a hard week's work, you have got to unwind, all this religion bollocks

I just grab a 24 pack and put the stereo on...."Who the F*** is Alice by Roy "Chubby" Brown. The neighbours can't quite believe the lyrics, and they are religious nuts
If you walked in the local bar and asked about the Englishman...everyone would know who you meant

Everyone knows me and they all find it amusing that I walk there and walk/crawl home ..even in the depths of winter ...there is the famous occasion when I first arrived that I walked home through 2 feet of snow ...it took 90 minutes as opposed to the normal 15 minutes and I made a grand total of 7 drunken snow angels on the way (They were there for 2 weeks as well )
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:21 am
Account Closed

Thumbs up Re: Sunday Mornings

If you walked in the local bar and asked about the Englishman...everyone would know who you meant

Everyone knows me and they all find it amusing that I walk there and walk/crawl home ..even in the depths of winter ...there is the famous occasion when I first arrived that I walked home through 2 feet of snow ...it took 90 minutes as opposed to the normal 15 minutes and I made a grand total of 7 drunken snow angels on the way (They were there for 2 weeks as well )

Well Done! Truly an Englishman.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.....Winston
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:47 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I'm C of E, and quite laid back, but the guys in town take the biscuit.

Our town is dry (no alcohol or pubs), and the little place is run by the Baptists and the Catholics.

I entertained the idea that we might build a saloon bar and eventually have a nightclub (with exotic dancers)

Like I spat in their eye They recoiled in horror

Nothing more civilised than having a Sunday lunch in your Local, listening to live music, or just relaxing with friends with a pint of best bitter.

Move

I agree with Dan725my social life is much more active than when I was in the UK

There it was go out and get plastered every friday/saturday nights and go out for the occasional pub lunch or have a bbq on sundays if the weather was nice enough

here we go to concerts and get shit-faced, go to sports games get shit faced, have bbqs at mates houses and watch football and get shit-faced. And while we're not doing that we'll just go to a bar and get shit-faced

i think its a lot to do with where you live - we live close to down-town and there is a lot more to do than if we were living in po-dunkville east tennessee
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of Texas is like, depends where you go and who with.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:47 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

OMG, that is so funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.