Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sudden relocation to NY.....

Sudden relocation to NY.....

Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

ponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sudden relocation to NY.....

Hello all

I am hoping that someone can help with a very unexpected but welcome offer. I can expand much further if someone replies to our call for help !

In brief:

A work relocation to New York. Relocating in July.

Probably looking to move to Queens (Astoria or Forest Hills). But not confirmed as we are travelling in a couple of weeks to NY for a scouting trip.

A 12yr old girl who is (fortunately) academically gifted, she currently attends an English selective Grammar School. She took and passed a hotly contested and over subscribed entrance exam (we are very proud of her).
A 3.5yr old girl who currently attends nursery full-time.

We are very keen for our eldest to maintain her academic leaning so we have looked at the G&T program.
Is she eligible to sit an exam outside of the time frame ?
Does any form of academic achievement outside the US count for anything ?
If the G&T program isn't an option can we simply enrol her at the local school ?
We are more than happy to change the area we live in so our eldest can attend a recognised 'good' school that pushes students academically.

Our youngest has missed enrolling for pre-kindergarden, do we just enrol her for Kindergarden when she is 5 ?

Are there any things that we can do now whilst not in the US to get the ball rolling ?

I appreciate (as having worked in schools in my home country) that there is no such thing as a 'good' school. It depends on a whole multitude of different factors. So please don't think that I am being crass. I hope that this email isn't misunderstood. We are just in a bit of a panic........

I am very keen to send my eldest to a school to the 'equivalent' of an English Grammar School, if such a thing exists !!

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Mar 30th 2013, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sudden relocation to NY.....

Plenty of threads on places to stay in NYC, so worth searching them out. Including schooling.

Basically where you live determines which school you go to, down to the street, unless it's a private school.

Childcare isn't cheap, but where ever you find a place without a waiting list will take your money for the youngest. Same idea as school for kindergarten, but age of enrolment will depend on school district/state.

Things you can sort out now, look at what vaccinations are needed to get into school and bring vaccination records. Will need hep B I think it is that isn't done in the UK? Anyway, it's a series of jabs and you'll need to have it started before kid can start school.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 7:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, "visas". What sort of visa will you be getting, or don't you need one? (The whole family would have to already be USCs). Assuming you needs visas, I sincerely doubt they can be processed and ready by July. Six-eight months is usual.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
First of all, "visas". What sort of visa will you be getting, or don't you need one? (The whole family would have to already be USCs). Assuming you needs visas, I sincerely doubt they can be processed and ready by July. Six-eight months is usual.
Student F1/J1 aren't to bad...
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If it is a company transfer (L-1 visa), those are usually processed quickly. Since "work relocation" was stated, that is what I assumed.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Student F1/J1 aren't to bad...
Agreed, but "work relocations" are rarely F1/J1s. I would guess this is a job transfer, and therefore most likely an L1 with trailing L2s.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

ponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

It is a job from a reputable company that has a presence in many countries.
With the industry I work in I'm pretty sure through past knowledge that
a visa will be ok to get processed. My other half is moving offices
Within a large multi national. There is unlikely to be any delays or problems
with entrance and staying working within the US.

I'm more concerned regarding my child's educational needs than visa's. I'll start investigating NYC's educational website in greater depth. Just seems a veritable mine field !!
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyo
Many thanks

It is a job from a reputable company that has a presence in many countries.
With the industry I work in I'm pretty sure through past knowledge that
a visa will be ok to get processed. My other half is moving offices
Within a large multi national. There is unlikely to be any delays or problems
with entrance and staying working within the US.

I'm more concerned regarding my child's educational needs than visa's. I'll start investigating NYC's educational website in greater depth. Just seems a veritable mine field !!
That doesn't make any difference. Since it sounds like it is not a company transfer (minimum requirement that you work for that company for 1 year outside the US to get a L-1 visa), the only option to get a visa early is an E-2 visa (treaty investor visa) but that has the disadvantage of non being dual intent. If your position is at a high executive level, some companies use that visa. The other option is the H1-B visa but those don't allow for work to start before October 1 and have a quota.

Sorry don't know about the schools.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 30th 2013 at 10:12 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's different in NY, but here the gifted and talented programme is something that is run within the public school system.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

If you want real info on NYC schools then this is a great site http://insideschools.org/

If your daughter is 12 depending on when her birthday is that will dictate what grade she will go into in September I'm presuming either 7th or 8th grade which is middle school age.

Bronx Science is considered one of the best High Schools in the entire US, to get admitted there are a number of criteria, the first being you have to live within the five boroughs of NY then you have to sit a competitive written examination given in the autumn of each year, known as the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) Some parents spend vast sums of money training their kids to do will on this test

HS's and middle schools in NYC are very hit and miss my suggestion would be go visit a few and get a feel for what you are looking for.

If you want a great school where kids are challenged I would not rule out Bronxville or Scarsdale school districts both have outstanding schools 25 minutes by train from Grand Central. To attend these schools you just have to have a home in the district.

You are not able "to get the ball rolling" until you are actually resident in the US as you need to provide certain information before you are able to register for school, proof of residency, vaccination records and a full physical (medical) by a local Dr within the past 12 months however its good to start dialogue with the schools you are interested in prior to moving.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: Sudden relocation to NY.....

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
If you want real info on NYC schools then this is a great site http://insideschools.org/

If your daughter is 12 depending on when her birthday is that will dictate what grade she will go into in September I'm presuming either 7th or 8th grade which is middle school age.

Bronx Science is considered one of the best High Schools in the entire US, to get admitted there are a number of criteria, the first being you have to live within the five boroughs of NY then you have to sit a competitive written examination given in the autumn of each year, known as the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) Some parents spend vast sums of money training their kids to do will on this test

HS's and middle schools in NYC are very hit and miss my suggestion would be go visit a few and get a feel for what you are looking for.

If you want a great school where kids are challenged I would not rule out Bronxville or Scarsdale school districts both have outstanding schools 25 minutes by train from Grand Central. To attend these schools you just have to have a home in the district.

You are not able "to get the ball rolling" until you are actually resident in the US as you need to provide certain information before you are able to register for school, proof of residency, vaccination records and a full physical (medical) by a local Dr within the past 12 months however its good to start dialogue with the schools you are interested in prior to moving.

notonuksoil

Thank you very much. Awesome post and I will investigate further.
My other half liked the look of Scarsdale initially.

Many many thanks.
Digital kudos being sent across the ether.

Best.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

notonuksoil

Many many thanks.

Best.
Your Welcome

We have been where you are now when we moved here, we had an academically gifted 5 year old (if thats possible to tell at that age) and an 18 month old. We opted for the burbs rather than NYC as it offered better options for us at the time. They are now in 10th and 6th grade and both doing well. Most schools in the burbs offer the bright kids the option of doing high school courses starting in middle school 8th grade rather than having a G & T program. My eldest did 2 HS courses in 8th grade, Earth Science and Algebra I. They then get the option of doing AP Environmental Science in 9th grade if they get the required scores.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That doesn't make any difference. Since it sounds like it is not a company transfer (minimum requirement that you work for that company for 1 year outside the US to get a L-1 visa), the only option to get a visa early is an E-2 visa (treaty investor visa) but that has the disadvantage of non being dual intent. If your position is at a high executive level, some companies use that visa. The other option is the H1-B visa but those don't allow for work to start before October 1 and have a quota.
Actually it sounds as if the OP's other half may be getting an L1 ...
My other half is moving offices within a large multi national.
... in which case the OP could get an L2 and once he gets his EAD can work for whoever he likes ...
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another vote for L1.

OP it is very important you find out.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 4:26 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

notonuksoil

Many many thanks.

Best.
OP - Foolish to acknowledge this post but to ignore the others. Spoken from experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.