Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Subaru - experience

Subaru - experience

Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subaru - experience

I live in the city of hills just outside of NYC proper. I've driven my 1972 automatic Datsun (before it became a Nissan) up a hill which was approx a 35 degree angle. I took it in first gear, slow and easy, and made it up without a slip or a slide while the car behind me which was an old Oldsmobile, big and heavy, couldn't get the damn thing even 1/2 way up.

Yes, a lot is learning how to drive properly in inclement weather. Look on any turnpike or parkway and the cars in the ditches are SUVs with 4 WD who think they can still go 65 mph in a snowstorm.

Had a nice little Subaru about 20 years ago with standard transmission. Loved the thing but had bought it at auction and never was able to get a clean title so had to go to small claims court to give it back and get a refund.

Personally I don't need a lot of power in a car. My Sonata is a 6 but I preferred my Elantra which was a 4. Both have good pickup and a smooth ride and the Sonata has all the bells and whistles. I have a am/fm/cassette/cd player never use it.

Oh well, that's me LOL ... the no-frills lady.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the 'burbs. I'm sure you're not in my city in Westchester (a little to low class I would think) but if I spot a Subaru on the Saw Mill, Taconia, Bronx River or the NY Thurway I will always wonder if a Brit is driving it.

BTW I take the Taconia in my Sonata 2 wheel drive up to Pittsfield, MA in the dead of winter with snow on the ground and still falling. Great driving car, and a great drive. Love the Taconia for a smooth ride with lots of empty roads once you are pass Carmel.

Originally Posted by Big D
You are absolutely right – the decision is made and I said it’s a no brainer – guess I was just after some conversation and interested in others views and opinions, so thanks for all the replies!

I probably need to update the location as we moved out to Westchester from the city apartment – I have done a fair bit of driving in the ‘inclement conditions’ of the north east (including a winter trip in a 5 liter rear wheel drive Trans Am in Michigan!) and agree that you can drive safely without AWD, and that you can’t legislate for the other idiots on the roads, – doesn’t mean that it doesn’t help and make life easier, so if it was a choice of with or without I’d take it every time!!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:11 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big D
I know a few people have sung the praises of scoobies on this forum and I have not heard bad things about them - my general impression is that they are pretty much bullet proof. So I have been offered a really good deal on one - 4 years old with only 35k on it and I am about to bite their hand off (i know the history of the car and the deal is genuine, car has just been fully serviced etc etc) but just wanted to see if anyone had any back experiences? BTW its a loaded Outback Limited - it will be a second car with low use but the AWD will be handy in NY i'm thinking!!

Thanks guys!
A good choice of car for the frozen north....watch out for brake pads and rotors though...Subaru's seem to devour them in half the time of other brands.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by penguinsix
http://www.kbb.com to see what the average price is for that car in that condition in your area.
KBB isn't worth a toss and is way off the mark for prices both trade and retail.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Englishmum

It's a great car, even though it's the one with the smaller Boxer engine and it has a nice 'growl' to it.
The smaller boxer motor is a 2 litre...not a 2.5
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
KBB isn't worth a toss and is way off the mark for prices both trade and retail.
Hey Rushy...I'm thinking of changing my Expedition in the next few months. I'm considering getting another one...what do you think?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey Rushy...I'm thinking of changing my Expedition in the next few months. I'm considering getting another one...what do you think?
What do I think? I think you're winding me up is what I think.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What do I think? I think you're winding me up is what I think.
Nope...serious.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Nope...serious.
In that case I think you're completley off your head.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

In that case I think you're completley off your head.
What would you recommend...be sensible.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:02 am
Account Closed

What would you recommend...be sensible.
Depends on your location, where and what you intend to do in it and how much filthy lucre you wanna part with.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nope...serious.
not an explorer...they're a steaming pile...they never did sort out the dodgy ball joints...
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Depends on your location, where and what you intend to do in it and how much filthy lucre you wanna part with.
You know my location...in answer to the rest...not sure that's why I'm looking for ideas.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
not an explorer...they're a steaming pile...they never did sort out the dodgy ball joints...
No not an Explorer...I prefer the Expedition.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You know my location...in answer to the rest...not sure that's why I'm looking for ideas.
want something sensible as a run around or a ponce mobile suv? nothing more tw@ish than the porsche cayenne or the z5...

but for a family motor, stick with the thread mobile and a suburu outback...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.