Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

stupid question

stupid question

Old Oct 17th 2002, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default stupid question

If my fiance doesn't have a middle name, do I just leave it blank or write N/A or None? I'm sitting here second guessing everything..lol

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2002, 7:08 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stupid question

Originally posted by katnap8:
If my fiance doesn't have a middle name, do I just leave it blank or write N/A or None? I'm sitting here second guessing everything..lol

Thanks
Hi Katnap,

It is not a silly question, this process does unfeasable things to the human brain. I think that it is a science experiment and we are the guinea pigs!

You shouldn't leave anything blank on the form as it gives the impression that you have not answered the question and may cause you problems. IMHO put none (as they have none) and N/A in spaces that do not apply at all.

Don't stress too much, its only a form, if it where for anything else you would fill it in in a trice and not think about it. I should talk I was exactly the same!

Patrick
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:00 pm
Andy Platt

With the middle name, usually people draw a line through the box to show
there is no middle initial. This is becoming increasingly important with the
IBIS checks which use the middle initial as part of the check (watch for all
forms to be updated to capture the middle initial when it didn't use to be
requested).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
"katnap8" wrote in message
news:446338.1034835185@britishexpats-
.com
    > If my fiance doesn't have a middle name, do I just leave it blank or
    > write N/A or None? I'm sitting here second guessing everything..lol
    > Thanks
    > --

Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:14 pm
mca
Forum Regular

mca is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
I wrote "(none)"
We've yet to have the petition approved, but I don't forsee that it will be a problem.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

its_karl is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a couple of stupid questions...i just found this site five mins ago , and i'm lost as far as how i post what i would like to know about, secondly i wouldnt know where to begin...can anyone help me...i registered but i'm getting non-access messages...i apologize to exhibit newbie traits so openly, but i realy need so help...and quite a few people here seem to have knowledge about what i'm trying to accomplish....i am merely trying to find out how and what i need to do to get my fiance a visa to south korea, i'm miliatry stationed there...i intend to marry her in south korea if possible, then take her to japan with me afterwards....i have e-mailed embassies and other officials with no responses, my situation seems hopeless at the moment...my fiance just left here october 9th, and shes 6 weeks pregnant, i want her to live here with me so i can take care of her....can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction..
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi:

An excellent and not stupid question. I put in "[none]" using the brackets to maybe avoid having documents issued as John None Smith or John N. Smith.

The US military was famous during WWII for using "NMN" for no middle name.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:53 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by its_karl:
i have a couple of stupid questions...i just found this site five mins ago , and i'm lost as far as how i post what i would like to know about, secondly i wouldnt know where to begin...can anyone help me...i registered but i'm getting non-access messages...i apologize to exhibit newbie traits so openly, but i realy need so help...and quite a few people here seem to have knowledge about what i'm trying to accomplish....i am merely trying to find out how and what i need to do to get my fiance a visa to south korea, i'm miliatry stationed there...i intend to marry her in south korea if possible, then take her to japan with me afterwards....i have e-mailed embassies and other officials with no responses, my situation seems hopeless at the moment...my fiance just left here october 9th, and shes 6 weeks pregnant, i want her to live here with me so i can take care of her....can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction..
Hi Karl,

If you are marrying where you are the first step is just to do that - marry! You can't do anything until you have the marriage certificate. It is then slightly different for you as you are military. Once you are married then contact the local US Embassy - you will then have to get your wife a green card.

I'm sorry I am not much more help

Patrick
Old Oct 17th 2002, 2:00 pm
Pagan Sex God

Hi Karl,

I just did a quick search on the INS and London Embassy websites and couldn't find anything but was thinking that you can't be the first guy to meet someone and then get married. Don't you have first Sgts who's job it is too deal with family problems like this - can't they advise you on what you have to do?

Patrick
Old Oct 17th 2002, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

the first and foremost problem is that shes back in the philippines, i had planned to go there but there is now a DoD restriction on travel to the philippines due to fpcon charlie, or a high threat of terrorism...so i am trying to get her back to south korea on a fiance visa...i'm just not sure who applies for it, and which emabssy, philippine or korean here or in the philippines, and as i stated before everyone i've e-mailed regarding this hasnt replied, so i am greatful for any information regardless of usable content...thanks so much for even replying, it gives me hope...and thats nothing to be sorry about
Old Oct 17th 2002, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

i'm not sure about this, i will definetley inquire though....i'm sure i could go to the legal office on base for some of the more simple questions i have..
Old Oct 17th 2002, 2:22 pm
John

My fiancé doesn't have a middle name either. I put "none" from the advice of
some on this newsgroup. I agree with Patrick. Don't leave anything blank.
I'm not sure which form you are filling out but for the I-129f I used none
for all questions that applied (ex. question 7 "other names used", as I
could have used other names, but didn't). I just looked at a copy of the
form and see that I only used N/A for question 17 about the native alphabet
as it simply doesn't apply. Same for the G-325A, I used "none" for all
questions that applied and only used N/A once for the field below my
signature where I would write my name in my country's alphabet if not roman
letters.

I went through the same mind-bending and second guessing and filled the
forms out multiple times until reading enough posts on this NG to feel
confident. I read several posts where people wrote that they got RFE's
because the service center wanted them to write None instead of N/A. One
of the things I read here that really drove it home is that "none" is so
difficult to misinterpret - none means none.

Keep in mind that I just received my first NOA from Vermont and may be
putting my foot in my mouth but I feel pretty good about how I completed the
forms (knock on wood!).

This issue seems to arise fairly often on this newsgroup so you can use this
link, if you like, to browse all of the postings and read some more on the
issue.

-
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=alt.visa.us.marriage-based&safe=images&

ie=ISO-8859-1&lr=&num=100&hl=en

Best of luck!

--
Of course, this is just my humble opinion and I could be wrong...

Andy Platt wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > With the middle name, usually people draw a line through the box to show
    > there is no middle initial. This is becoming increasingly important with
the
    > IBIS checks which use the middle initial as part of the check (watch for
all
    > forms to be updated to capture the middle initial when it didn't use to be
    > requested).
    > Andy.
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
    > "katnap8" wrote in message
    > news:446338.1034835185@britishexpa-
    > ts.com
    > >
    > > If my fiance doesn't have a middle name, do I just leave it blank or
    > > write N/A or None? I'm sitting here second guessing everything..lol
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > --
    > >

Old Oct 17th 2002, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

The Consulate does not respond to e-mail questions. However, the US Embassy in Seoul has an excellent web-site: www.asktheconsul.org.

Go into "American Citizen Services." It gives the requirements for YOU to get married. Unfortunately, it also assumes your spouse is Korean. If she is not, the site directs you to contact the consulate of HER home country.

Once you are married, the next step is for you to file an I-130 immigrant visa petition with the INS. The Consulate in Seoul does NOT allow for "direct consular filing" or "DCF". You must file with the INS. Since you are stationed in Korea, you must file with the Bangkok INS district which has a sub-office in ... Seoul!!!! That INS office is also located in the embassy at 82 Sejong Ro.

Once the I-130 is approved, it will be forwarded to the appropriate consulate, which you imply will be in Japan. [BTW, the Seoul sub-office of INS provides INS services to Japan].

The embassy in Seoul is quite set up for AF-KOR personnel getting married.

BTW, while you are stationed overseas, once your wife gets an immigrant visa, she can travel to the US, be addmitted as a Permanent Resident and then IMMEDIATELY apply for US citizenship on an expedited basis. I've seen cases where Korean marries US soldier, gets IV, enters US for 3 weeks and then returns to Korea as a US citizen!
Old Oct 17th 2002, 4:41 pm
Mrtravel

I don't think it is stupid.
What is stupid is that the form doesn't tell you what to do if there is
no middle name.