Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stupid People making you laugh...

Stupid People making you laugh...

Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stupid People making you laugh...

Well everyone must have the odd amusing story....and what brought this up...was uo Cadillac Mountain a couple days ago, and there was a group of students up ahead, and one was saying how he never realised that CT was on the east coast of the US...his fantastic defence was "but I'm from the mid west, how was I to know"
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stupid People making you laugh...

On holiday in CA a few weeks ago - travelling down Route 1 we stopped to watch some elephant seals sunning on a beach. Someone ambled up to me and said ... "They sure are big - I wonder what they eat?" ..... I looked at him for a couple of seconds then replied ...."Fish"

Paul
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:56 pm
ImHere

The (not so uncommon it seems) classic:

Local Yokel: "Hi, so where ya'll from?"
Me: "England"
Local Yokel: "How long ya been here?"
Me: "Oh, er, about 6 months or so."
Local Yokel: "Wow! well you have picked up English really well haven't ya"
Me: "Yes, thank you. I believe I have."
Local Yokel: 'So..what language do you guys speak over there then?"
Me: "English."
Local Yokel: <brief silence> "Really? What sort?"
Me: "The original sort. Bye bye"

Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:03 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday at the launderette.

[random dude] Where you from
[me] London
[random dude] So you're Italian?

Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:04 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by sibsie
Yesterday at the launderette.

[random dude] Where you from
[me] London
[random dude] So you're Italian?

Mama Mia!

Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Shortly after arriving here, I was talking to my US husband's niece:

Her: Where are you from again?
Me: England.
Her: Oh, Brazil is in England isn't it?
Me: Ahem, I'm not too sure about that.

Figured a polite answer and quick change of subject was preferable to upsetting any of my husband's relatives so soon after arriving ...... and, nope, the niece isn't six years old .... but in her twenties!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Another comment which I find is frequently made by the younger people over here (i.e. up to 15 y/o) is on finding out where I'm from they will often say something like "England, oh yeah, we don't like you guys".

Some might say that statement is true ... some others might wonder what the US schools are teaching children these days!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a party a couple of years ago and we were talking to a couple of friends at great lengths about America...

A guy came over and introduced himself into the conversation with the following line...

"Isn't it funny how so many Towns in Cities in England are named after American Towns and Cities!?!"

We looked at him dumbstruck for a couple of seconds before we realised that he was serious...

Oh yeah... He was English!!?!?!?!?! :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

I found it hard to believe that anyone in America could really seriously ask someone from England what language they spoke, but my daughter was asked this just recently by a school friend (aged 14). Another child had been reading Harry Potter and said "it must be great growing up in England with magic being real there an all......." - he was serious!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Been asked the lanugage thing a few times - as have some of my scottish friends who they seem to think speak gaelic.

Have also been asked to how long it takes to drive from england as well as is england a suburb of london.

although after that comment about the american cities maybe we shouldn't be hard on our sceptic friends!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I was in a store once and the guy behind the counter asked if I was Irish, I said no, Scottish. Then he said "Oh wow, is it just like that movie Braveheart with all the clans fighting the English?" and then he said "I'd love to go over there and see all the castles & villages, and ride on horses all the time".........

That seems like a fair description to me - whats you point!!! - sorry!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

The joke that Americans never seem to tire of, "You're from England, oh yeah, your people all have really bad teeth." Usually said by someone who has bleaching sessions every few months and has spent countless years with braces attached to their crooked and gappy teeth! If only Americans could begin to understand that bleaching does not equal healthy teeth!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Conversation with husband's friend who must think England is very tiny with an equally tiny population:

Him: I have a friend who works in London, Dick Smith, do you know him?
Me: No. When I came to America I met Harry Jones, do you know him?
Him: Pauses, then shakes his head with a confused look on his face.

Me: Figure he has concluded that I'm rather stupid!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Some might say that statement is true ... some others might wonder what the US schools are teaching children these days!
Not long after I moved here I was talking to my neighbour and she asked if we had DVD/DVD players in England yet... another conversation she asked if we had/used seat belts in the UK. This lady is teacher!!!

Ash
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:40 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

Surprised your noses aren't getting sunburnt, with them being so far up in the air, whilst you sit upon a high horse.

Whenever I return home to England and people find out I now live in Texas, they will always ask me one of the following:

- do you live on a ranch?
- do you ride a horse to work?
- do you say "Y'all" all the time?
- does everyone wear cowboy boots and a hat?
- are you a cowboy?

Get the picture? Dumb people are everywhere. We all have moments of dumbness and times when we say foolish things. But I tell you this - if I was to ask the "What do they eat" question that was posted earlier, and that guy looked at me for a couple of seconds before answering...I'd tear his pompous head off his arrogant shoulders and shove it up his egocentric ass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.