Stuff it!

Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:22 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Angry Stuff it!

The turkey I mean.... Do I or not?

(I) Is it better to make the stuffing separately?
(II)Is it safe to bung it in the bird?
Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuff it!

I have one word for you.... ham!

Allow me to add a few more words - I have no idea about cooking a turkey and I think neither does my bf's mother. The Thanksgiving turkey we had there 2 years ago was so dry that everyone agreed (including mom!) it would be ham from then on! The ''I have one word for you - ham'' is kind of a running joke now, everytime someone dares utter the word 'turkey' in relation to food.

Last edited by HunterGreen; Nov 9th 2003 at 3:29 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:27 pm

Originally posted by HunterGreen

Stuffed?
Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Stuffed?
Yes. Us, after dinner.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:32 pm

I'm feeling like making both now... I bet everyone here can't wait!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point

The turkey I mean.... Do I or not?

(I) Is it better to make the stuffing separately?
If you are stuffing the bird (and the stuffing is warm) you have to stuff the bird immediately before you put it in the oven otherwise some sort of Turkey bacteria kicks in (something nasty anyway) and you'll be spending the night in the bathroom. It's just like dealing with raw chicken, you have to wash your hands alot and not contaminate anything else. BTW, I'm talking about that stuffing you buy in a box, not homemade.
I stuff the bird and any remaining stuffing I just cook in a dish in the oven.

Last edited by mrsm; Nov 9th 2003 at 5:56 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 5:26 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

If you use precautions!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

joonmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Brigie, do you know why the first settlers in the US decided to use a turkey for their thanksgiving dinner.

the answer follows

the answer is

The Buffalo was toooo big to stuff
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

I seem to remember my Mum putting the stuffing between the skin and the breast, rather than inside. I think the idea was that it helped stop the meat from drying out, but I may be wrong - we had roast beef rather than Turkey at Christmas most years.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:59 am
Just Joined

chicken_little is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternative

Hey guys and gals,

I'm an American married to an Englishman, and often read these boards to get an idea what his experiences will be like when we move to the US.

Bridgie,

My grandmother cooks the turkey the night before. She then carves it and places the pieces on a large platter. She then takes some of the turkey "parts" and creates cornbread dressing.

I don't know if this is just a Southern way of doing things. However this way is more relaxing, as by the time everyone gets together, the turkey is carved and everyone can help themselves more easily. And the dressing is delicious.

Also, if this is your first Thanksgiving, here's another tip which may not be too regional:
It is also common place to have some extra plastic containers, so guests can take food home with them. That way you're not stuck eating leftovers for 2 weeks.

Laura

Last edited by chicken_little; Nov 10th 2003 at 11:06 am.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:05 pm

Thanks everyone!

I am going to check out a few sites and get the rules etc....

I just don't want to poison my family with Slamonella or something.

Carving it the night before sounds like a great idea though... If I put some gravy on it in an aluminium pan maybe that'll save it from being dry too!

Chicken Little.... Welcome to British Expats!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

joonmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Chicken Little, I always cook my turkey the day before also, and as much of the dinner as I can, frees me up to spend more time with my family on the big important day, you picked the best ex-pat board to join, you'll find the nicest people here.....best regards....joon
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:44 pm

Originally posted by joonmoon
Welcome Chicken Little, you picked the best ex-pat board to join, you'll find the nicest people here.....best regards....joon

Very true that! (I've talked to Joon on the phone and she sounds dead posh. So take her word not mine... )

If you find the Romance thread you'll see the poor buggers that are gonna have to eat it!

I'm going to need a whole lesson in cooking this thing anyway... last year I burnt my feet. What about potatoes... Mashed or Roasted?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HunterGreen

Allow me to add a few more words - I have no idea about cooking a turkey and I think neither does my bf's mother. The Thanksgiving turkey we had there 2 years ago was so dry that everyone agreed (including mom!) it would be ham from then on! The ''I have one word for you - ham'' is kind of a running joke now, everytime someone dares utter the word 'turkey' in relation to food.
Hint - Keep Turkey moist by cooking it this way (Tip I got from Andrew 'whateverhisnameis' on Ready Steady Cook back in the UK)

Never leave it sitting on it's back the whole time - "juices run through bird and out the back - leaves breast dry" - use a trivet start it off on it's side - keep turning it - i.e. from side, to front, to other side, to back, to side again etc. every 30 minutes approx.

Have cooked my turkey's this way since I heard him say this on the programme, have never had a dry turkey since that day. I also lift the skin off the breast a bit and insert pats of butter or I can't believe stuff.

Try cooking one yourself and really impress her with your culinary skills......
Old Nov 10th 2003, 6:04 pm

Do you cover it with foil?

Add fat on top... or gravy in pan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.