British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Student in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/student-usa-484726/)

daftpunk Oct 1st 2007 10:43 pm

Student in USA

Hey guys,

I am wanting to study for a degree in the USA. I am 29 and never qualifed from uni here in the UK (I dropped out). I want to get a degree now so I can move my career in a new direction (I am a software developer of 8 years but I want to move into the financial markets, and need a degree for that).

I am wanting to do this degree in the states. I have friends there. To be truthful, I just fancy a few years living there as well. Otherwise I could just do the degree in the UK (which I don't want to do).

I am applying for a little known uni in the north west.

Now, assuming I am accepted, and I go for a the visa interview, how can I justify applying to a uni in the USA ? "Oh yes I like it there and would perhaps like to live there" isn't going to sit so well. How do other students from western nations justify spending $140K when they could study at home for free.

Do you think I will qualify for an F1?

Information if its relevant: I have the money for a 4 year course. I also have a residence here. I have family here. I am single. 29. Male. I can get a letter from my employer saying I will be working for them over the summer back in the UK if it helps.

Elvira Oct 1st 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Student in USA

Originally Posted by daftpunk (Post 5375961)
Hey guys,

I am wanting to study for a degree in the USA. I am 29 and never qualifed from uni here in the UK (I dropped out). I want to get a degree now so I can move my career in a new direction (I am a software developer of 8 years but I want to move into the financial markets, and need a degree for that).

I am wanting to do this degree in the states. I have friends there. To be truthful, I just fancy a few years living there as well. Otherwise I could just do the degree in the UK (which I don't want to do).

Now, assuming I am accepted, and I go for a the visa interview, how can I justify applying to a uni in the USA ? "Oh yes I like it there and would perhaps like to live there" isn't going to sit so well. How do other students from western nations justify spending $140K when they could study at home for free.

Information if its relevant: I have the money for a 4 year course. I also have a residence here. I have family here. I am single. 29. Male. I can get a letter from my employer saying I will be working for them over the summer back in the UK if it helps.

If you have the funds plus an acceptance from a bona fide university, you'll most likely get the visa.

But why *would* you want to spend 140 grand for a degree from a 'little known university' in the US......... instead of a significantly smaller sum from a British university that will be recognised by British employers...

dukeynorton Oct 1st 2007 10:58 pm

This is a very stupid idea.

No offense, but I just dont think you are thinking straight. There has to be a female/male involved, correct? I can only echo Elviras comments to be honest. Do you plan on going back to the UK afterwards because you could do yourself more harm than good, especially if the uni is crap....and there are lots of those here. Why do you want to go to crap uni in the states? I'm assuming it is crap though? Just because it is small here does not necessarily imply that as there are many small private institutions that may not be that famous outside of the US but are well regarded by the establishment here. However, I would expect you to pay a lot more if it was one of these places.

With your experience, why don't you apply for an excellent course in the UK and use your savings more wisely? If you then want to come here to work or even to pursue further education after that, then that might be a better option.

Please don't get upset, just my two pennies worth.

penguinsix Oct 1st 2007 11:37 pm

I think it is great that you want to get a college degree, but I would encourage you to 'shop around' a bit before you do so. A little known school in the NW is going to be great, if you want a job in a little known part of the NW. But if you are looking to work nationally, or internationally, you might consider spending your money on a school with a better name and a good program specifically in the field you wish to study. If it is business and finance, than you need, well--should be--on the East Coast near the financial areas, not out in the woods with beautiful scenery.

It is worth noting that your US degree will require almost a year and half to two years of required study NOT in your final degree area. So eventhough you are going for a finance degree, you are going to spend at least a year or two studying English Literature, Art, Astronomy, Basic Calculus, Psychology, etc. You may go the entire first year without a single business class.

I should note that you would really want to get an MBA in the US to be taken seriously in the business community, and that is a 2 year program AFTER your 4 years and AFTER a few years of work experience.

You might want to consider studying at home for a year or two and then getting your MBA in the states. Or taking a few classes in the UK that could transfer over to the US (i.e. take some night course in the UK--get a few of the requirements done and over with) so you can spend maybe 3 years instead of 4 in the US.

You can also let us know the name of the school and we might be able to give you a better read on the 'reputation' in the US.

Bob Oct 2nd 2007 12:43 am

yeah, probably...but waste of money going over to study in a place no one has heard of, won't bring you any kudos over here nor in blighty and be a waste of money....and you won't be able to do much work whilst studying, after the first semester you'll be allowed to do 20 hours a week on campus work....but getting the visa is easy, you've just got to show you have the funds or a way of having the funds provided for you to cover tuition plus around $10K a year living expenses to cover food/lodgings and study material.

BigDavyG Oct 2nd 2007 1:39 am

Hey guys,

Are you after an IT job in financial markets or a job trading ??
If the former then no employer worth their salt would insist that a programmer with 8 years experience go back to study.
If the later (and don't take this the wrong way), you are probably too old to be considered for such a position now, let alone in 4 years.
If you have enough cash saved up to pay for a course of study in the US why not stick at it for a bit longer - you're obviously doing something right.

NC Penguin Oct 2nd 2007 2:18 am

What is it you really want to do? Live in the US or study for a degree?

Following your existing plans, you'll end up with a degree that will cost $$$s (did someone say kerching?) and you'll probably have to return to the UK where that degree will mean very little.

What do you mean you have residence here? Do you have Permanent Residence in the US?

If I were you, I'd study for a Bachelors degree in the UK that has an exchange with an American university. This could lead to a semester or more studying in the US.

Alternatively, you could work for a company that has offices in the US and if you can climb the corporate ladder into a senior/management position, you may get an opportunity to transfer to a US office. This will take time and there's no guarantee.

daftpunk Oct 2nd 2007 5:55 am

Originally Posted by dukeynorton (Post 5375990)
This is a very stupid idea.

No offense, but I just dont think you are thinking straight. There has to be a female/male involved, correct? I can only echo Elviras comments to be honest. Do you plan on going back to the UK afterwards because you could do yourself more harm than good, especially if the uni is crap....and there are lots of those here. Why do you want to go to crap uni in the states? I'm assuming it is crap though? Just because it is small here does not necessarily imply that as there are many small private institutions that may not be that famous outside of the US but are well regarded by the establishment here. However, I would expect you to pay a lot more if it was one of these places.

With your experience, why don't you apply for an excellent course in the UK and use your savings more wisely? If you then want to come here to work or even to pursue further education after that, then that might be a better option.

Please don't get upset, just my two pennies worth.

No offence taken, prefer an honest comment. No 'other half' involved. I have friends in the states, want to live there for a bit simple as that.

I can't get on a good course here, I don't have the a-levels. I could go back to Sunderland uni, but no offence to Sunderland, the corporate world is not impressed. I could apply for a crap uni here, or a crap uni there. And I'd rather go there.

daftpunk Oct 2nd 2007 5:56 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5376386)
What do you mean you have residence here? Do you have Permanent Residence in the US?

Residence in the UK. In that I would still own a house here.

daftpunk Oct 2nd 2007 5:57 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 5376307)
Are you after an IT job in financial markets or a job trading ??
If the former then no employer worth their salt would insist that a programmer with 8 years experience go back to study.
If the later (and don't take this the wrong way), you are probably too old to be considered for such a position now, let alone in 4 years.
If you have enough cash saved up to pay for a course of study in the US why not stick at it for a bit longer - you're obviously doing something right.

A software development job for a big investment bank. And I can't get in at the moment without a degree. And I don't want to stick at what I do because I hate it.

daftpunk Oct 2nd 2007 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5376200)
yeah, probably...but waste of money going over to study in a place no one has heard of, won't bring you any kudos over here nor in blighty and be a waste of money....and you won't be able to do much work whilst studying, after the first semester you'll be allowed to do 20 hours a week on campus work....but getting the visa is easy, you've just got to show you have the funds or a way of having the funds provided for you to cover tuition plus around $10K a year living expenses to cover food/lodgings and study material.

I don't need to work, I have enough money. I also have work in the summer I can do back in the UK.

My original question is just, when the visa officer says to me, "You're wasting your money, why don't you just study in the UK" I have no answer. What can I say? The truth is I just want to go to the USA for a few years and that's not really a good answer is it.

Sally Oct 2nd 2007 6:14 am

Originally Posted by daftpunk (Post 5376689)
I can't get on a good course here, I don't have the a-levels. I could go back to Sunderland uni, but no offence to Sunderland, the corporate world is not impressed. I could apply for a crap uni here, or a crap uni there. And I'd rather go there.

That would give you a reason to move to the US to study although your line of reasoning overall still isn't quite clear to me.

daftpunk Oct 2nd 2007 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5376706)
That would give you a reason to move to the US to study although your line of reasoning overall still isn't quite clear to me.

I want to do a degree (for many reasons not just career development but to prove I can do it)
I want to live in the states for a bit.

Combine the two.

Sally Oct 2nd 2007 6:28 am

Originally Posted by daftpunk (Post 5376711)
I want to do a degree (for many reasons not just career development but to prove I can do it)
I want to live in the states for a bit.

Combine the two.

That's 4 years though - and degrees vary greatly in their worth. Couldn't you get A Levels up to standard and then have more of a pick? Have you consulted a career professional of some sort?

daftpunk Oct 2nd 2007 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5376733)
That's 4 years though - and degrees vary greatly in their worth. Couldn't you get A Levels up to standard and then have more of a pick? Have you consulted a career professional of some sort?

I appreciate all the feedback regarding career / study path, but I know what I want to do. I'm really just after advice on the VISA side and how hard it will be to justify my decision to a VO.

Sally Oct 2nd 2007 6:33 am

Originally Posted by daftpunk (Post 5376738)
I appreciate all the feedback regarding career / study path, but I know what I want to do. I'm really just after advice on the VISA side and how hard it will be to justify my decision to a VO.

Well, good luck. I can't advise on that type of visa.

daftpunk Oct 2nd 2007 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5376742)
Well, good luck. I can't advise on that type of visa.

I didn't mean to be rude, I just didn't want to go off topic discussing that I'm wasting money, when I should stick with my job in London earning $$$ (heard it all from the parents :D).

Sally Oct 2nd 2007 6:41 am

Originally Posted by daftpunk (Post 5376751)
I didn't mean to be rude, I just didn't want to go off topic discussing that I'm wasting money, when I should stick with my job in London earning $$$ (heard it all from the parents :D).

Oh no offence taken, I wouldn't like to give you wrong info on what you should say.

(But I am a Mum!)

penguinsix Oct 2nd 2007 10:43 am

It's fine that you know what you want to do. I think a lot of people are raising this issue because they 'knew what they wanted to do too' when they were in the UK planning to come to the US, and this message board is litterally full of how their expectations have not been met. I think they just want you to understand where they're coming from and how similar a story it was to yours.

But anyway, as for the visa officer, you should emphasize your desire to study at this college, or your desire to study with this particular professor or this particular program. Try to emphasize something that was unique about this school and why it is a real opportunity for you. Or mention how you want to broaden your perspective of the world, or enhance your understanding of the USA beyond that of just reading the international media (which, you will come to discover and as the visa officer knows, doesn't always get it right when covering the USA). I think you should also emphasize that you have a steady job in the UK and family and options back here, but that you've made a serious contemplated decision to take this once in a lifetime opportunity in the US before you come back to the UK to settle down and start a family.

Or something like that.

Really, I don't think it will be much of a problem.

BigDavyG Oct 2nd 2007 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by daftpunk (Post 5376691)
A software development job for a big investment bank. And I can't get in at the moment without a degree. And I don't want to stick at what I do because I hate it.

I'd be interested to know what bank you have in mind.
I work in IT, and to be honest most firms I have dealt with wouldn't give a toss about your degree if you have 8 years of experience under your belt and are a capable individual.
That said hr spivs might throw your cv in the bin due to a lack of a degree - to get round this start networking or better still get taken on by a consulting/contracting firm and get them to drop you in there.
I studied a finance related discipline and worked in the City for a consulting firm very briefly - nothing I learnt at uni was of any use to me when I was writing code.

tamms_1965 Oct 2nd 2007 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5376062)
I think it is great that you want to get a college degree, but I would encourage you to 'shop around' a bit before you do so. A little known school in the NW is going to be great, if you want a job in a little known part of the NW. But if you are looking to work nationally, or internationally, you might consider spending your money on a school with a better name and a good program specifically in the field you wish to study. If it is business and finance, than you need, well--should be--on the East Coast near the financial areas, not out in the woods with beautiful scenery.

It is worth noting that your US degree will require almost a year and half to two years of required study NOT in your final degree area. So eventhough you are going for a finance degree, you are going to spend at least a year or two studying English Literature, Art, Astronomy, Basic Calculus, Psychology, etc. You may go the entire first year without a single business class.

I should note that you would really want to get an MBA in the US to be taken seriously in the business community, and that is a 2 year program AFTER your 4 years and AFTER a few years of work experience.

You might want to consider studying at home for a year or two and then getting your MBA in the states. Or taking a few classes in the UK that could transfer over to the US (i.e. take some night course in the UK--get a few of the requirements done and over with) so you can spend maybe 3 years instead of 4 in the US.

You can also let us know the name of the school and we might be able to give you a better read on the 'reputation' in the US.

Agreed :thumbs_up:

CarrotCruncher Oct 4th 2007 3:35 am

Hello daftpunk,

I am studying in a little known college in the midwest. I started in August and I also had the choice of UK or US. Ironically I dropped out of a career in IT also had enough of it and decided to try studying in the US.

The visa is pretty easy to get. They are interested in you being able to support yourself. Make sure the college you choose has an international program. I'm sure you have looked, but on an F1 Visa you are unable to work, unless you can demonstrate economic hardship. If your college is not recognised by the UK as a foreign institution you are not eligable for grants or loans. So you need to be able to support yourself, and that is what they are looking for. Books alone are $500 per semester and that's on a lightly loaded course.

It is expensive! I've only been here since July, but I'm enjoying the change, at least you will know people, that would help somewhat. I didn't know a soul! Just me and 3 children, but so far it's worked out well.

If your degree will not count towards what you want to do, I'd not waste the money, if it doesn't matter and you want the experience, I'd go for it. I worked with people that had studied for degrees in the UK in animal husbandry, that were working in computer programming. Smaller companies tend to want you educated to degree standard, rather than being picky on what your degree is.

Good luck!