Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Student travelling in the US...

Student travelling in the US...

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

ngandhi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student travelling in the US...

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, or if someone can help, but here it goes...

I'm a student who's come over to live and study in California for a year on an exchange program. I live on the central coast and have a bit of family in NorCal, but between school and work, I haven't really found the time to do much adventuring out. I've been to places like San Diego, LA and SF on days trips etc when I visited here two years ago.. but I'm need to some ideas as spring break is coming up (and I don't want to do the typical Cancun trip with other college students lol).

I wouldn't say I'm on a tight budget, but I'm looking to spend less definitely than $500 for the week. If anyone has any suggestions for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Nisha
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student travelling in the US...

Really? I went to Mexico for spring break as a student. It was, without a doubt, the wildest and best week of my whole life.

You only get one shot at it. Are you sure you don't want to give it a try?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you like nature, hiking, and rock climbing and have a friend that also likes the same, you'll probably be able to go to Yosemite and stay at a cheap motel outside the park for about $500 per person for two people for the week.

However at this time of the year, there is always the possibility of the roads closing if a winter storm hits. Also it will probably be a little cool (about 50 degrees during the day) at this time of the year. There is also skiing there but that would probably put you out of your price range but you may be able to do that for one day and still stay within budget.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I went camping in the desert for my spring break. Awesome sights, lots of hiking, cost quite a bit less than $500!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What dya like doing?

If you like the sea as well as mountains, coastal run up along Rt1a of Maine, out to Bar Harbor. Be able to hit the national parks for free as they'll be opening up but not charging yet so a lot of out doors stuff to do for very cheap, as well as whale watches and possibly the CAT to Nova Scotia, though I've no idea if the service is running again or not.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What dya like doing?

If you like the sea as well as mountains, coastal run up along Rt1a of Maine, out to Bar Harbor. Be able to hit the national parks for free as they'll be opening up but not charging yet so a lot of out doors stuff to do for very cheap, as well as whale watches and possibly the CAT to Nova Scotia, though I've no idea if the service is running again or not.
Wrong coast, though? Or is it me that's confused??
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
You only get one shot at it.
That in relation to a trip to Mexico could have been phrased better
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Wrong coast, though? Or is it me that's confused??
Sure, but the OP said wanted to travel the US...so why be limited to what is a weekend trek away?

This is a cheap option, what with Southwest now flying into Portland Jetport in Maine.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

ngandhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou everyone for your input! It's greatly appreciated
Turns out I'll be a lone traveller, so I'll be spending spring break living with my uncle and aunt in SF, and travelling around primarily via bart to see things I haven't seen in SF!

Thankyou once again. You're an amazing bunch of people!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What dya like doing?

Still dormant, my friend. There are hopes about restarting the CAT service, but, they are nothing more than that. With fuel prices going Northwards again, I don't expect to see see it back in operation anytime soon, if ever.

http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/2009...WS01/312189996

Jim.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 2:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Still dormant, my friend. There are hopes about restarting the CAT service, but, they are nothing more than that. With fuel prices going Northwards again, I don't expect to see see it back in operation anytime soon, if ever.

http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/2009...WS01/312189996

Jim.
Yeah, mostly because the Canadians didn't want to pay their share of maintenance, but there was rumour of a private venture backing it, some of the "stars" were talked about, Rockerfellas, Martha Stewart and John Travolta as they all live in the area, but it was only ever a crazy rumour that came out last summer.

There is a crappy airport that do bunny hop flights around though, but those planes crash a fair bit in the dodgy weather
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, mostly because the Canadians didn't want to pay their share of maintenance, but there was rumour of a private venture backing it, some of the "stars" were talked about, Rockerfellas, Martha Stewart and John Travolta as they all live in the area, but it was only ever a crazy rumour that came out last summer.

There is a crappy airport that do bunny hop flights around though, but those planes crash a fair bit in the dodgy weather

Apparently, the CAT Ferry left for a new operator in China, last year, after laying up in Bar Harbor, for quite a while. And the Rodd Hotel in Yarmouth, NS, closed its doors, due to the lack of Ferry Business. There's probably quite a few more businesses gone heads up as a result.

I used to make the journey on a regular basis, whilst doing Tours to Nova Scotia.

Jim.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ngandhi
Thankyou everyone for your input! It's greatly appreciated
Turns out I'll be a lone traveller, so I'll be spending spring break living with my uncle and aunt in SF, and travelling around primarily via bart to see things I haven't seen in SF!

Thankyou once again. You're an amazing bunch of people!
There is also Caltrain which are the trains that run up and down the peninsula on a regular schedule. You could use that to visit places like Stanford University, Palo Alto, San Jose, and most of the other cities in the Silicon Valley.

http://www.caltrain.com/schedules.html