Reload this Page >

Student Loans USA query

Student Loans USA query

Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:56 am
Just Joined

NeCa is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Student Loans USA query

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum. Actually, I joined in 2012 to ask a question about moving to the US when I was still studying.

Fast-forward a few years and I've just been offered a job in the States (H1-B visa pending, of course :-)).

I've got a query about student loans that I'm wondering if anyone can help with. I can't see any similar posts specific to this around the forum already.

Here's my concern - if I move to the US, my wife will move with me on a H4 visa, so I'll be our sole source of income. Financially, we're in roughly the same position as we'd be here (i.e. my single salary in the US is _roughly_ the same as our combined salaries here).

In terms of student loan, I've looked at the overseas assessment form and there's nothing to show how many dependants you're supporting over there, so my worry is that they're going to take a pretty sizeable bite. Given that the cost of living is going to be higher where we're moving (east coast of Scotland -> west coast US) and that our income is going to be the same, I'm getting a little twitchy about how we'll manage. I should note, this is based on ballpark figures - I have my salary offer and have tried to roughly calculate what my monthly net income would be.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? Is there anything that can be done to declare the number of people in household (I guess this'd be similar to filing a joint tax return).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 12:18 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Loans USA query

My husband and I were in a similar position in the US, and we didn't find any option for declaring dependents. He was working, and I couldn't work (until I got my EAD), so his income supported us both, but he was required to make the same repayments as if he were single.

I don't know if this is definitive: the whole system is a complicated mess, with the terms changing depending on your loan year, so it's hard to get a clear picture.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi MoshiMoshi,

Thanks for that - sounds like the exact situation here. Think it'll just be a case of weathering the storm.

I'll call SLC before I leave, anyway, so I can have a chat and see if there's any help or clearer information.

Did you apply for an EAD when your I-485 went in? If so, out of interest, how long is it before someone is eligible to apply for an I-485? Is that dependent on employer?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeCa
Hi MoshiMoshi,

Thanks for that - sounds like the exact situation here. Think it'll just be a case of weathering the storm.

I'll call SLC before I leave, anyway, so I can have a chat and see if there's any help or clearer information.

Did you apply for an EAD when your I-485 went in? If so, out of interest, how long is it before someone is eligible to apply for an I-485? Is that dependent on employer?
On what basis would you be applying for permanent residence?

My friend just got the H1B visa, and is going to apply for PR using the national interest waiver ASAP.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That'll depend on if and when the employer sponsors you for the greencard, so worth getting it in writing or they might not do it.

As for the SLC, they're shit. Your options are to suck it up and pay it, or give them the finger and don't pay it.

Being in the US gets the raw end of the stick compared to other countries with regards to them.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:36 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Did you apply for an EAD when your I-485 went in?
I was on a J2. Technically, I could apply for my EAD as soon as we arrived.

Originally Posted by Bob
As for the SLC, they're shit. Your options are to suck it up and pay it, or give them the finger and don't pay it.
For years, the only good thing about the SLC was that, if you didn't have any income (e.g. trailing spouse), they were pretty straightforward about you not having to make repayments, so long as you stayed in touch. So if OP's wife has a loan, too, at least she wouldn't be hassled to pay it off.

But this year they've started being arsey about that -- with me, at least. They seem to change the rules whenever it suits them. I'm currently involved in a mindless exercise to 'prove' I'm a stay-at-home-parent, which is hopeless, since it's not like I have a work contract. I may turn up at their Glasgow HQ with a toddler under my arm.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the response, guys.

I'm still waiting for the outcome of the lottery, anyway, so I'll kick this down the road a little bit until then.

If I'm not successful in the H1-B, the chances are that I'll be placed in Vancouver for a year then transfer on an L visa (might be better in terms of spouse working anyway).

WRT SLC, I'll probably get in touch with them prior to leaving to let them know we're shipping out, but will maybe settle a few months before making payments (I think the overseas assessment form requires three months payslips - could be wrong, though).

Thanks again for the help.