Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

student loans

student loans

Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

maizedaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default student loans

Hi Anyone out there ever tried to get a student loan and living in the U.S on an E2 visa? I would like to go back to University and with the cost being so steep i was wondering if in fact i will be able to get a loan.
Mary
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student loans

I'm not sure but it could be tricky. My son got a government tuition loan through FAFSA but I think it may have been limited to LPRs and citizens (we are all LPRs). We tried to co-sign a loan from Wells Fargo for him but after going through the entire process, the last question was, "Are you a US citizen?", which as we are not, meant it was no good. If you could find a citizen to co-sign, that might work though.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

BoA, or they did, offered private student loans.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. I have a good American friend who could co-sign, but i might make an appointment with BOA. The big question is will they give me a loan whilst on an E2 visa. The Uni fees are steep so therefore just need to find out if a loan is a possibility first.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexasgaudet87
I think it may have been limited to LPRs and citizens (we are all LPRs).
No idea.

It was quick and easy too and at the time, only folks who would loan to the missus. She did a online course via Kings in London and everyone else was either requiring a brick institute and not online, or the place had to be in the US.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I'd be wary to take out a student loan that is not a federal one. Private ones are both a lot more expensive and there have been too many reports of shenanigans with them recently.

Keep in mind that student loan debt collectors have powers far exceeding any other debt collector with the possible exception of the IRS and there is basically *no* way to shed student loan obligations.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Well back to square one. Inquired about student loans at Wells fargo to be told that you need a co-signer (as i thought would be the case). I have a friend here in the U.S who is a citizen but i am just not willing to ask them. I have come to realise that if i want to return to college/Uni i am going to have to fund it myself.....some how. So with that private school is out the door. Even community school is stretching it. I might have to re-think my intial plans. I have been so used to being spoiled back in Scotland. I was so naive in thinking that i could get a loan.....not easy. Thankd to those that replied.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by maizedaisy
....So with that private school is out the door. Even community school is stretching it. I might have to re-think my intial plans. I have been so used to being spoiled back in Scotland. I was so naive in thinking that i could get a loan.....not easy. Thankd to those that replied.
Private schools often have other grants and bursaries that they can offer though, if you ask about them. They would have reduced any Federal loans you'd have been eligible for, but that wont' matter.

Some companies also offer student tuition, but often would depend on the type of courses you want to study, so worth looking into that as well.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that.
I have been in contact with the private University and just waiting on a reply.