Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Struggling again - work culture is depressing...

Struggling again - work culture is depressing...

Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling again - work culture is depressing...

Originally Posted by dlake02
That is just stunningly rude, and exactly the attitude that I hate. Sorry - this is EXACTLY what I'm complaining about - a selfish, short-term attitude to anyone else. And I hear European after European complain about it here - my German colleagues really don't understand it.

And again, that explains why everything here is so short-term. Again, try thinking about someone OTHER than yourself for a change. Think that OTHER people have a right to a holiday and may need to plan. Think that other people may have to save to travel, book ahead, have children at school that have fixed times for vacation, commitments to other people.

We have to book 6 months ahead as my in-laws also need to plan, my sister in law (a teacher) needs to plan, my brother (a GP in the NHS) needs to plan. They work on about 6-12 months deadlines, and I don't think it's unreasonable to plan ahead a little. I also have to think about sending my son to a good University, pension, savings.

Try picking up the phone an booking three return tickets on specific dates to fit in with your family's commitments SFO-LHR in July/August for 2 weeks. You simply HAVE to plan ahead. Especially if you also want to pop over to see family in France and friends in Germany at the same time. It gets to be very expensive unless you book 3-6 months ahead.

I'm not sure I care ! I'm not asking YOU to plan YOUR vacation 3 months - I'm asking you to consider the impact of you planning on other people that you work/interact with.

Why ? I have entered into a contract with my employer. In return for my knowledge and work, they give me things. They are entitled to my undivided attention within that contract, and I am entitled to aspects such as sick-leave, holiday, maternity/paternity, pension, access to health-care, etc. Maybe you just go to the supermarket and give them money and walk out empty-handed, but I prefer a two-way contract where both sides understand what is required.

If you think that by not having rights as a worker you will somehow be better treated, you are deluding yourself.....
Yes imagine if Steerpikes attitude pervaded everything. Perhaps his short term trips to Europe might be cancelled. As last time I checked running an airline involved very longterm planning and predictability. But thats OK I suppose because its one law for him and his type and another for everyone else. I think I used to hear this term referred to 'as Im alright jack?.'

Although I agree freedom to choose when and where to do things is a great bonus in any job. And I myself enjoy spontaneity just would not have phrased this way.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

So you've had 6 vacations this year?
I wish...!!! One 1-week holiday to Hawaii (Oahu), two long-weekends to Vegas and SF.

I get 25 days leave. In the UK we would plan on 2 weeks for main summer holiday, a week at Easter or Spring Half-Term and then a week for October half-term. As my entitlement here is 4 days less than the UK, but I get 3 extra public holidays, to me there is virtually no difference which is why I found the attitudes to holidays, time-off, etc so bizarre. But what this forum has taught me is that what I assumed to be normal patterns of leave are not. I have co-workers based in France, Germany and The Netherlands - they all get (and ALWAYS take) far more leave than I did in the UK especially as the UK is about the lowest in Europe.

The flip side to this is that I do travel with my job quite a bit - many weekends away from home (about 25-30% of the year is travel that involves travel on a Saturday/Sunday) - so quite honestly, I feel I earn every second of family time and no-one else has the right to interrupt that !

We have a total of about 4 weeks away each year (this year UK, Hawaii and one other TBD), and then the odd long-weekend within about a 2-hour max journey. That leaves Christmas to deal with - this year given the prices of flights everywhere already, we've decided not to travel and just spend it here. Frankly, Christmas has never been a big occasion with us, so other than a couple of days off, it really doesn't count for much.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

And I myself enjoy spontaneity just would not have phrased this way.
So Do I !!!! It's just with kids, sometimes that spontaneity has to be a little planned, or else you may find them staying at home on their own playing with a box of matches whilst you enjoy a romantic meal...

Unfortunately, Steerpikes has perfectly illustrated my point. It's all "I."

I am prepared to give up some spontaneity in order to fit in with others, reach compromise, understanding that they have as much a right to do things as I do. I call it equality and I find it builds a better society. If everyone is just in it for themselves, then they might as well live on their own private island.

I just find it courteous and polite to plan ahead and not just assume that everyone will fit in around your plans and short-term changes.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad I am a fairly low flying minion with no problems when it comes to having time off

I guess the OP just has to accept the work ethics and vacation time in his industry here because I don't think he will be able to change it

Why can't family travel to see you? Plenty of people with young kids/babies manage it and after all you are in a beautiful part of the US..
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why can't family travel to see you? Plenty of people with young kids/babies manage it and after all you are in a beautiful part of the US..
Because it's too EXPENSIVE for them. Imagine having to pay for 5 people at full fare. Whether or not it's a beautiful part of the US is totally irrelevant - it comes down to sheer economics. Cornwall or The Vendee are also equally beautiful parts of the world and a damn sight cheaper if you want your main summer holiday without bankrupting yourself in the process !

Let's just take my brother with his three kids. In school holidays to see us would cost about $10,000 just for flights, economy with Virgin, BA or United. Then they'd need to get to the airport (that about 50 quid of fuel and about 25 quid/day to park). Or my SIL and husband who do not earn what a GP earns (one is a teacher, the other currently unemployed), my parents (retired) and my wifes parents (retired on a decreasing pension).

It is a LOT of money especially at a time when people are drawing in their belts anyway....

It's not a problem - we just need to budget very carefully and plan ahead to get the best prices. And balance that with the things we want to see here before we leave.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I wish...!!! One 1-week holiday to Hawaii (Oahu), two long-weekends to Vegas and SF.

I get 25 days leave. In the UK we would plan on 2 weeks for main summer holiday, a week at Easter or Spring Half-Term and then a week for October half-term. As my entitlement here is 4 days less than the UK, but I get 3 extra public holidays, to me there is virtually no difference which is why I found the attitudes to holidays, time-off, etc so bizarre. But what this forum has taught me is that what I assumed to be normal patterns of leave are not. I have co-workers based in France, Germany and The Netherlands - they all get (and ALWAYS take) far more leave than I did in the UK especially as the UK is about the lowest in Europe.

The flip side to this is that I do travel with my job quite a bit - many weekends away from home (about 25-30% of the year is travel that involves travel on a Saturday/Sunday) - so quite honestly, I feel I earn every second of family time and no-one else has the right to interrupt that !

We have a total of about 4 weeks away each year (this year UK, Hawaii and one other TBD), and then the odd long-weekend within about a 2-hour max journey. That leaves Christmas to deal with - this year given the prices of flights everywhere already, we've decided not to travel and just spend it here. Frankly, Christmas has never been a big occasion with us, so other than a couple of days off, it really doesn't count for much.
What do you mean, you wish? You said you were away 6 times this year, long weekends or not, that's 5 more than most people have.

And if you book 6 months ahead a family of 5 can fly for around $6k, not 10k.

I'm really struggling to see what you've got to complain about. You work pretty standard hours, get 25 days vacation, and get to spend all your vacation with your phone and email off.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Deb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Steerpike;10109793] I believe in one thing only - I show up for work and get shit done, and they pay me. Everything else is just "noise". Reviews, goals, performance plans, etc are a waste of time. If my company want to get rid of me tomorrow because they no longer like the color of my shirt, that's their perogative (we've just had a BIG ownership change and I'm fully expecting to be swept out with the wave of new people that are being brought in; I serve at their convenience). [QUOTE]

Yes, and it's about time people who work for other people had exactly the same attitude.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm really struggling to see what you've got to complain about. You work pretty standard hours, get 25 days vacation, and get to spend all your vacation with your phone and email off.
I think you mis-understand the point of my initial post.

I'M perfectly happy that having taken a temporary post here, we are getting to see the place, I get to keep my work/life balance in check and we can afford to do all that we want to do. I don't really have any difference in my life from living in the UK - 60+ hour work-week, a much shorter commute, what I would classify as an average leave allowance, a good salary and benefits package. Again, all about the same as in the EU.

But.... when I mention having TWO main holidays a year, one for 2 weeks, one for 1 week, and then 3 or 4 short breaks during the year and that I like to plan those out in advance a little so that I can afford to do that, the way in which that is received by my American work cousins is vastly different to the way that it's received by my European work cousins...... Some here have NEVER taken ANY leave ! That would be unheard of in our UK office.

But it has been explained (thank you) how most American workers don't really take time off even if they have an allowance.

And there I was thinking slavery had been abolished....

Last edited by dlake02; Jun 10th 2012 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But it has been explained (thank you) how most American workers don't really take time off even if they have an allowance.
Those who don't take time off do it because they choose to. If they wanted to, they could.

I'm not sure what your point is... other than to suggest that things aren't what they seem - just because things don't make sense to you!

Ian
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'M perfectly happy that having taken a temporary post here, we are getting to see the place, I get to keep my work/life balance in check and we can afford to do all that we want to do. I don't really have any difference in my life from living in the UK - 60+ hour work-week, a much shorter commute, what I would classify as an average leave allowance, a good salary and benefits package. Again, all about the same as in the EU.

But.... when I mention having TWO main holidays a year, one for 2 weeks, one for 1 week, and then 3 or 4 short breaks during the year and that I like to plan those out in advance a little so that I can afford to do that, the way in which that is received by my American work cousins is vastly different to the way that it's received by my European work cousins...... Some here have NEVER taken ANY leave ! That would be unheard of in our UK office.

But it has been explained (thank you) how most American workers don't really take time off even if they have an allowance.And there I was thinking slavery had been abolished....

There must be a big difference depending which industry you work in.

I work for local government and have done for 9 years now. I am currently having to use vacation/comp time because I have a lot of time accrued. I can take it how I like, either a couple of weeks at a time or some long weekends. Right now I am taking alternate Fridays off for some long weekend road trips etc and then some longer time when family arrive later this year and for a longer Christmas break. I always save some to cross over to the next year as we try to return every other year now to see family. Works well
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I work for local government and have done for 9 years now. I am currently having to use vacation/comp time because I have a lot of time accrued. I can take it how I like, either a couple of weeks at a time or some long weekends
Good for you !!! That is EXACTLY how everyone I've ever worked with has behaved, and I've only ever worked in private business in Europe. I work in the same private company here as I last did in the UK. It is like chalk-and-cheese, and frankly, I don't recognise the hard-working, hard-playing UK culture with what I see here which appears to be far more about "being seen" to be busy by the right people and frankly very little fun.

Over here, the attitudes amongst my co-workers are very, very different. I'm used to seeing the end-of-year email from HR reminding people to "loose it or use it" - in other words, you have a leave entitlement for a very good reason, and you should take it. We've had extensions and flexibility in leave so that people can carry over beyond the usual three months.

As I say, when I told two of my very long-serving US co-workers when I'd be taking my 2 week holiday this year, I think I had to write it down in words they could understand as it was obviously beyond their comprehension. Their loss.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you !!! That is EXACTLY how everyone I've ever worked with has behaved, and I've only ever worked in private business in Europe. I work in the same private company here as I last did in the UK. It is like chalk-and-cheese, and frankly, I don't recognise the hard-working, hard-playing UK culture with what I see here which appears to be far more about "being seen" to be busy by the right people and frankly very little fun.

Over here, the attitudes amongst my co-workers are very, very different. I'm used to seeing the end-of-year email from HR reminding people to "loose it or use it" - in other words, you have a leave entitlement for a very good reason, and you should take it. We've had extensions and flexibility in leave so that people can carry over beyond the usual three months.

As I say, when I told two of my very long-serving US co-workers when I'd be taking my 2 week holiday this year, I think I had to write it down in words they could understand as it was obviously beyond their comprehension. Their loss.
Sure, it's their loss. But why does it seemingly bother you so much that you feel the need to start a thread entitled "Struggling again - work culture is depressing..."? That seems to indicate that something is actually your loss.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I never took time off when I had paid vacation time for one reason, in the state I worked in, if vacation was not used it had to be paid out, so at the end of every year I would get 3 weeks of additional pay, the money was more valuable to me then the time off.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I never took time off when I had paid vacation time for one reason, in the state I worked in, if vacation was not used it had to be paid out, so at the end of every year I would get 3 weeks of additional pay, the money was more valuable to me then the time off.
Wow...a few years ago that would have been a great help if Texas had had that rule
Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That's similar to what police/firemen do is some states...they accrue their sick days for decades...then when they retire they have an extra year or more pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.