Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Originally Posted by lisa67
A couple of year's ago pictures of my daughter and some of her friends appeared on the net on a professional photo web site. She had been photographed while playing in a local music group. We had not given permission for either the photos to be taken or for them to be put on a public web site. The leader of the music group contacted an attorney who then "threatened" the photographer with legal action if the photos weren't removed..which they then were (phew) it made me feel both sick inside and made my blood boil
That is all correct, however there is no legal mandate to confiscate the photos (as opposed to stop them being published in the way you suggest).
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:28 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You should have called the cops, whether it was legal or not a US cop would probably "accidentally" drop the camera or wipe the film.
I agree completely.

To the OP: regardless of whether what he did was illegal or not, it was definitely creepy, and I'm willing to bet this is not the first time he's done this. In fact, he seemed to have a "defense" readily available.

I'm also willing to bet that he's got a ton of other peoples' kids on tape for his own personal use and that it doesn't stop there.

PLEASE contact the police.

~SG
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

for the good of not only your but mine and others' kids....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:47 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Long one, sorry...

I'm in Boston for a couple of days with my kids, husband and my mother in law.

It's hot so we went to Boston Common where there's a huge paddling pool. It was full of kids in either underwear or swimsuits.

After my three kids played there for over half an hour in their underwear we got them out and started getting them dressed. Several people came up and told us that a man in a blue shirt had been filming my 7 year old daughter for a good half an hour.

I looked at the man they were pointing at, and sure enough his camera was pointing at us. My daughter was getting changed at this point (we were doing it as discreetly as possible) so I walked straight at him and he dropped the camera.

We found some 'staff' and talked to them about him, but they were all teenagers just there to lifeguard. They started talking to him but nothing much seemed to happen.

My husband went up to him and asked him if he'd been filming our daughter. He said 'Yes I have. If you take your daughter into a public place I am allowed to film her.'

My husband asked why he'd been filming her in particular and he said something about her embodying the innocence of children having fun.

My husband asked what he planned to do with the film and he said 'I don't have to tell you that, you don't have any right to know.'

My husband said he was extremely unhappy about this. The guy said something about working in multimedia, and it only being low res film, but my husband said once again that he wasn't happy that this man had been filming our daughter and we didn't know what he was going to do with the film, and that he had not asked our permission.

We both made it clear that we specifically did not give him our permission to publicise or use the film in any way.

My husband had also taken some photos of the guy, and he said we would be sending these photos to the police when WE got home.

The guy (who had obviously picked up our British accent) said he didn't think the police back home would be very interested.

I said we would be contacting the Boston police, and that my husband and the children were actually American citizens living nearby. He looked a bit worried at this point.

Then he said 'Fine, let's call the police together.' We said, no, we were leaving, but that we would be ensuring someone was informed ASAP that he was videoing children at a paddling pool without anyone's consent. At this point the teenager lifeguards were asking us to 'Take it elsewhere.'

At that point we left the paddling pool, but shortly afterwards (still on Boston Common) we saw a Park Ranger. My husband told them about the man, showed them the man's photo, and gave them his business card so they could call if anything further happened.

The Ranger radioed for help, and said he would go immediately and find this man and stop him filming. They said once you ask someone to stop filming they must stop, but nothing about whether someone can film children without permission in a public place, nor about whether they can do anything with the film if you expressly forbid them to. The rangers were not going to let him continue however.

Now I have no idea what this man planned to do with the film, but he did not have my permission to do anything with it, and I have no idea if I can do anything more. I wish we had called the police at the time so he could at least be checked out in some way and to make sure they were aware of what he was doing.

I don't think there are paedos everywhere, but I know they are on the internet, and I absolutely do NOT want film of my daughter on there.

I know that my 7 year old daughter's photos on Flickr get more views than anyone else in the family. I am very careful what photos of my children I put online, especially her, and if I am at all worried I make them viewable by family and friends only.

I know that my daughter probably appears in the background of other people's photos, and that potentially they could get online and be perved at, and I do accept that you can only control so much.

But I'm just so angry that this man thought it was fine to video MY daughter without asking me or her.

No idea what the debate is here, I just wanted to vent really. And I am wondering whether to contact the police with this man's photo, and put in a formal complaint.

I have no idea if the law is on my side in any of this but I suspect it isn't :-(
On the face of it, he probably wasn't violating the law. It may well have been within his right to film what he chose.

That being said, I've heard that cameras and swimming pools don't tend to go well together. I would have tested that theory with his camera, after I had removed the tape.

Since you have a record of what he looks like, you might want to research some of the Megan's Law databases to see whether you recognize any familiar faces. If he has been prosecuted for sex crimes, that was probably a parole violation, and you should report him to the police.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I bet pics of my arse are all over the internet ...with wild women perving at them ...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:04 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I bet pics of my arse are all over the internet ...with wild women perving at them ...
( Of course dear ...)

I've had a client take pics of me while I was cutting his hair I asked him what he was doing and he said " I do it all the time" then proceeded to show me pics of our receptionist at the time and the girl that used to cut his hair before me!!! So I told him I didn't care and I wanted him to delete my pics in front of me, so he did, apologised and I'm still cutting his hair although I think he's a bloody pervert...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Filming is a no go on Australian beaches. people get busted all
the time by life gaurds and sometimes police are called. I have
first hand seen life gaurds demanding camera's etc to check.

I am not saying one of two photos here and there but when it
gets overboard - they are kicked out of the area...and this is
not only photos of children but even adults.......

Seen it too many times on Bondi beach and any other beach here
really....

I know we can not apply this to America but generally western world
is similar in their stances.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yet nobody thinks of all the store cameras and in some places
street cameras that follow every move that you or yours make ....

and that certainly includes all the theme parks ....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
Yet nobody thinks of all the store cameras and in some places
street cameras that follow every move that you or yours make ....

and that certainly includes all the theme parks ....
Purpose of which is safety and data collection and NOT to be used for personal/illegal/perving.....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:20 am
Ray

Originally Posted by E3only
Purpose of which is safety and data collection and NOT to be used for personal/illegal/perving.....
Yere right!! course that the purpose ....

Where do you think all the youtube and
tv shows get there films from ... the other stuff goes out privately
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course not denying that - but the purpose of those camera's
still should be just that...

Unfortunately - there are people out there who do the wrong
thing...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:25 am
Ray

Of course not denying that - but the purpose of those camera's
still should be just that...

Unfortunately - there are people out there who do the wrong
thing...
My point is worry about what you can't see... not what you can ...

Serious perverts carry cam hidden is all sort of ways ....
from shoe boxes to shopping bags ... seen them all
even button cams.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:27 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Filming is a no go on Australian beaches. people get busted all
the time by life gaurds and sometimes police are called. I have
first hand seen life gaurds demanding camera's etc to check.

I am not saying one of two photos here and there but when it
gets overboard - they are kicked out of the area...and this is
not only photos of children but even adults.......

Seen it too many times on Bondi beach and any other beach here
really....

I know we can not apply this to America but generally western world
is similar in their stances.
In the US, the First Amendment protects one's right to photograph just about everything and everyone.

The OP really had no right to stop the guy. Filming children in the US is not, in and of itself, illegal. The property owner could prevent filming on the property itself, but not from beyond the property line.

Still, I wouldn't like it, and I would have nonetheless likely conducted my camera-swimming pool experiment. At the very least, it's impolite, and if the guy is a convicted sex criminal, likely illegal in his case.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Ray, appreciate that...no offense

What I want to say is - do everything in your right/hand/control
to protect your kids.....Unfortunately a CCTV at the tube or
at park or a hotel is out of my control or "circle of influence"
so as to speak....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A stranger videoing my daughter at the pool

Mrs Nice Guy used to be a midwife, one of her client's partners wanted to film the birth of the baby, Mrs Nice Guy told him to put the camera away immediately or alternatively find another midwife to deliver said child.

On a recent trip to Japan Nice Boy (son) was approached by a Japanese fellow asking for permission to take some photographs of Nice Girl (daughter), Nice Boy in the well known 'International Language' of grabbing hold of the chaps shirt and telling him in old Anglo-Saxon expletives to fick off before he kamikazed him. Needless to say the Nippy fellow buggered off.

Personally I think it is an invasion of personal space and freedom to intentionally have one's photograph taken without one's permission or the permission of the parent or guardian.

Regardless of public space or not the chap by the pool was causing a public nuisance and should have had a jolly good bop on the hooter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.