Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:23 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Originally Posted by Rompers
presuming their customer is innocent until proven otherwise.
How could they prove otherwise without asking him to empty his pockets?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
How could they prove otherwise without asking him to empty his pockets?
Yes its a hard one isn't it. I imagine that police officers all over the world (well maybe not in Iran) struggle with the same dilemma but its the price of living in a free society.

Here's what WalMart could do:

Train staff that they should only accuse their customers of theft if they are sure of their facts.

Even if they are sure, to treat the person with dignity and respect. "Sir, may I have a quick word in private, it will take no more than 5 minutes." Then, in the office, "Sir, I suspect you have taken something without paying. I can either call the police, or, if you would prefer to empty out your pockets, we could get this cleared up right now."

If they have made a mistake then recognise the severity of the accusation they have made and apologise...profusely and repeatedly and thank the customer for their time.

Now I just thought of that off the top of my head in 5 minutes. If WalMart were to pay a couple of grand in consultancy fees I'm sure I could come up with more.

Last edited by Rompers; Dec 21st 2006 at 10:02 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:23 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed by the number of people who think that a jumped up little #%&* from Walmart should have powers - stop, search and arrest without probable cause - that the forefathers saw fit to deny law enforcement officers.

Of course shops have to protect themselves from thieves, but they need to do so with tact, sensitivity and respect, presuming their customer is innocent until proven otherwise. When they fall short, they need to suffer consequences or they will do it again and again.
Well stated, that's absolutely right. No retailers should believe itself to be a law enforcement agency exempt from Constitutional overview. It's important to teach these companies a lesson so that they don't presume themselves to have authority.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:34 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

If WalMart were to pay a couple of grand in consultancy fees I'm sure I could come up with more.
Or BestBuy, I always felt uneasy in those two stores for some reason.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Or BestBuy, I always felt uneasy in those two stores for some reason.
omg in bestbuy i can sense i'm being watched and i almost feel guilty of what i don't know when i leave the store.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 2:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
As others have said: turn out your pockets, prove your innocence and leave.

Personal liberty being impinged? Lawsuit? Tears? WTF? IMO, you're making way, way, way too much out of an extremely routinue situation that you deliberately made worse.

Repeat after me:

People have inalienable rights granted by the Constitution.
Corporations only have privileges granted by the People.

Say 100 times before you go to bed!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 4:39 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Repeat after me:

People have inalienable rights granted by the Constitution.
Corporations only have privileges granted by the People.

Say 100 times before you go to bed!

FB you're alive
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg in bestbuy i can sense i'm being watched and i almost feel guilty of what i don't know when i leave the store with 3 DVD players and a playstation hidden in my knickers.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

What an awful story! I think you need to know that the employees were formally reprimanded and you need a written apology from at least the manager. So much for "Customer Service."
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rushman

and who gave you permission to edit my posts
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:01 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

About ten years ago I was traveling across the state on my way to a friend's farm for some recreational shooting. I was pulled over for speeding. The state trooper let me off with a warning but asked if he could first search my vehicle as the route I was traveling was a "drug corridor". I assented as I had nothing to hide. He then asked if I had any weapons or contraband that I wished to tell him about before he began the search. I told him about the two rifles properly cased and stored as well as a couple of knives.

I sat in his vehicle and watched as he searched my truck. After inspecting my firearms he returned and with a much more serious demeanor, asked me to get out of the vehicle and put my hands on the hood, spread my legs etc... etc... (you've probably seen the routine on Cops ) It turns out that one of my rifles had been reported as stolen. Oddly enough, the company that reported the theft was the store where my parents had purchased the rifle as a birthday present for me ten years prior. If you knew my parents you would understand that the thought of them heisting a firearm from a major retailer would have been extremely funny had I not been currently handcuffed and in the back of a police car.

I was taken to the local jail where I was fingerprinted and had a mugshot taken. My clothing and personal belongings were taken and I was given an orange jumpsuit and slippers to wear and told that I could now place a phone call. My wife was at work and my Mother, bless her, would not accept a collect call from "Johnson County Jail" . I finally contacted my BIL and told him to tell my family where I was and what was going on. I was then taken to a cell which was my home for the next twelve hours at which time I was suddenly released. My clothing and personal items were returned and I was told that the company had decided not to press charges and I was free to go.

It turned out that the company (which no longer sells firearms and I think may even be out of business, BTW) had had problems with the sporting counter employees stealing firearms and then switching the serial numbers around on the paperwork to cover thier tracks.

After paying to get my truck out of impound it took about 2 years time and hiring a lawyer to get my arrest record expunged (It jepardized my security clearance for work) and have my rifle returned to me. In addition to the "trauma" of the original incident, I was out about $1500.00 in legal and various other beaurocratic fees as well as several days wages because I had to take off of work for court appearances and to eventually retrieve my rifle, both of which entailed me driving across the state.

I didn't expect compensation from the retailer nor did I sue for any.

/WARNING! CLICHES AHEAD!/

Shit happens. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

I think if I were in the OP's position I would have emptied my pockets and been on my way. In about 20 minutes time I imagine I would have forgotten it ever happened, much less considering a call to a lawyer.

Incidentally, nothing makes you appreciate freedom like a brief stay in a jail cell.

Sorry for the voluminous post.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The state trooper let me off with a warning but asked if he could first search my vehicle as the route I was traveling was a "drug corridor".
Which just goes to show that the correct answer to that question is almost always 'no'. As an American lawyer friend told me years ago, you almost never benefit from talking to cops, particularly without a lawyer present... there are so many laws that you're almost certainly guilty of breaking one.

As for the original poster, while I sympathise with stores trying to prevent thefts, from what I understand American store employees have no right to stop you leaving and are supposed to let you go if you say 'no' and walk out. Co-operating when you have 'nothing to hide' just makes your life difficult.

Plus, of course, if any store ever told me they thought I was a thief, I'd never go back there again; if they're going to accuse people they'd better be damn sure they're right.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:28 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by MarkG
Which just goes to show that the correct answer to that question is almost always 'no'.
And then the Officer would have said "Great! Be on your way and have a nice trip!"

As it happened, after a few minutes conversation with the officer he noted my willingness to cooperate, mentioned that I did not seem the type to traffic in stolen firearms and there must have been some mixup at the retail store. He then went above and beyond (Calls to the Judge and Prosecuting attorney after his shift was supposed to have ended) to secure my (relatively) quick release.

Do you think he would have acted that way if I had forced him to secure a warrant (which he surely would have done) to search my truck?
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
About ten years ago I was traveling across the state on my way to a friend's farm for some recreational shooting. I was pulled over for speeding.

Shit happens. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

I think if I were in the OP's position I would have emptied my pockets and been on my way. In about 20 minutes time I imagine I would have forgotten it ever happened, much less considering a call to a lawyer.

Incidentally, nothing makes you appreciate freedom like a brief stay in a jail cell.

Sorry for the voluminous post.
Karma sent for that.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Karma sent for that.
granted but it's entirely different being stopped by a cop whom is doing his job, to being stopped by a $6.50 per hour coffin dodger at Walmart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.